Thread: Choking Under Pressure

Default Choking Under Pressure

Or does it seem that when you are really good at something, but when you need that skill to come out the most, you almost always end up choking, making it look like you've never done it before in your life? lol just curious.

crazykittensmile

Hehe. That happens to me too! I completely bow under pressure. It's the same is someone is watching me, I can be really good at something on my own, but as soon as someone else is there I start to fail!

Someone changed the title??? Oh well, the original title was 'is it just me', but who cares lol :p

I used to have that problem until I studied the Tao Te Ching...the passages about being as careful and skillful at the end of a journey as the beginning rang true for me. You would not be at the end of a journey unless you had it within you to succeed at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by balancedchaos View Post
    I used to have that problem until I studied the Tao Te Ching...the passages about being as careful and skillful at the end of a journey as the beginning rang true for me. You would not be at the end of a journey unless you had it within you to succeed at the beginning.
    I study Tao Te Ching too! Cool!

Every one has a little performance anxiety of some sort. I get really self conscious while writing a story and someone looks over my shoulder, however my improv acting is always better the larger the audience. For some people it's specific things, and some people think performing in public is so scary they're immobilized.

Imagine being a concert musician and playing concerts. Seldom does it go as well as when practicing. It's the psychology behind doing a skillful task in front of others. Even professional athletes use psychologists to deal with the problem. Since I am a concert church organist, I would pray before I would concertize, and that seemed to help.

I used to play men's league softball and the same thing was true on the field. In practice I could hit the ball out to the fence almost every time. In the game I would hit a grounder right to the pitcher. So what is the difference? Your mind is your worse enemy and so you have to gain control over it, finding whatever works for you.

I seem to go the other way. Under pressure, I tend to freak out, and the autopilot takes over and does everything just right. Particularly in races, there's some insane monster inside that turns in performances I can't come close to in practice.

I used to do that on guitar...
    Now I record myself practising all the time, and can play on camera with ease.
    I need to get a little better with live people though.