Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fallout: New Vegas

June

Default Fallout: New Vegas

Let me start by saying that Fallout 3 is my all time favorite video game for several reasons including storyline, freedom, and concept.

So you better believe I was hyped the night before Fallout: New Vegas was to be released.

I've been playing this game for about a month now, and holy shit I've had a blast! Fallout: New Vegas contains improved combat features, a bigger map than Fallout 3, a whole new story, a fun city, several new creatures and weapons, while still hanging on to what made Fallout 3 a masterpiece.

I love this game, but would I say I like it better than Fallout 3? No. While the combat has improved, it lacks many wasteland elements that I loved about Fallout 3, such as metros, more ruins, more deserted places, and the story is not as good as FO3's, in my opinion. While this game certainly has more freedom than Fallout 3, I feel that Fallout 3 was more emotional. Now, I still heart New Vegas, but I just like Fallout 3 better.

Has anyone else picked up this game?

EDIT: I do have a montage showing some gameplay up. You can view it here:
    Last edited by June; 11-Nov-2010 at 00:50.

Picked it up, love it. It's a lot more in line with Fallout 1 and 2, which were games that I especially loved. Oh, and I hated all the metros, so it works for me.

Picked it up, loved it, played for a whole night, only to discover the next day my save had been replaced and I lost 4 hours of work. Promptly grabbed the disc and chucked it into the sunset. Some poor chinaman now has a disc in his head.

-in conclusion: Great game, but for the love of all that is glorious, patch it!

June

Quote Originally Posted by Alphacore View Post
    Picked it up, loved it, played for a whole night, only to discover the next day my save had been replaced and I lost 4 hours of work. Promptly grabbed the disc and chucked it into the sunset. Some poor chinaman now has a disc in his head.

-in conclusion: Great game, but for the love of all that is glorious, patch it!
    It's patched now. 4 hours isn't that much.

I've been playing it for about a month, picked it up on day 1. I've put in around 500 hours or so into fallout 3 between 4 different characters and all the DLC, so I was very excited for this.

I've gotta say, I love it. I've only had a few minor glitch problems, but I've heard people have had worse. It does feel much closer to Fallout 1 and 2 then 3 did, though it still kept a lot of what made 3 great.

I like the 'Hardcore mode', it really makes the game a lot more fun. Honestly, having to eat, drink, sleep, and worry about bullets made things a lot more interesting in my opinion, though it's just mine.

A lot of the side quests are great, and there are a ton more then in 3, from what I've seen anyways.

I recommend it to anyone looking for something great to play!

every things good about it apart from the lack of buildings to explore and the graphics are about the same as fo3 if not worse

all in all a good game never encountered any of the glitches touch wood

Quote Originally Posted by TeenageToddler View Post
    Let me start by saying that Fallout 3 is my all time favorite video game for several reasons including storyline, freedom, and concept.

So you better believe I was hyped the night before Fallout: New Vegas was to be released.

I've been playing this game for about a month now, and holy shit I've had a blast! Fallout: New Vegas contains improved combat features, a bigger map than Fallout 3, a whole new story, a fun city, several new creatures and weapons, while still hanging on to what made Fallout 3 a masterpiece.

I love this game, but would I say I like it better than Fallout 3? No. While the combat has improved, it lacks many wasteland elements that I loved about Fallout 3, such as metros, more ruins, more deserted places, and the story is not as good as FO3's, in my opinion. While this game certainly has more freedom than Fallout 3, I feel that Fallout 3 was more emotional. Now, I still heart New Vegas, but I just like Fallout 3 better.

Has anyone else picked up this game?
    First of all Fallout 3 is a great game with flaws. The biggest flaw is the main quest, the main story of Fallout 3. In total that makes up maybe 15% of the game and thats a liberal estimation. Fallout 3's main plot was so bad infact there was a DLC that changed what could be cosidered the most horrible ending ever.

The secondary quests of Fallout 3 were pieced together amazingly. Like Oasis or the town of cannibals.

Now New Vegas.. has a great opening and it's storyline is very, very involved. I've actually haven't done anything past the main storyline/faction missions. Though from the looks of it there isn't much to do in the mojava wasteland. so in that sense, Fallout 3 is still the better game overall.

But New Vegas has a MUCH, MUCH better story/plot.

June

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post
    First of all Fallout 3 is a great game with flaws. The biggest flaw is the main quest, the main story of Fallout 3. In total that makes up maybe 15% of the game and thats a liberal estimation. Fallout 3's main plot was so bad infact there was a DLC that changed what could be cosidered the most horrible ending ever.

The secondary quests of Fallout 3 were pieced together amazingly. Like Oasis or the town of cannibals.

Now New Vegas.. has a great opening and it's storyline is very, very involved. I've actually haven't done anything past the main storyline/faction missions. Though from the looks of it there isn't much to do in the mojava wasteland. so in that sense, Fallout 3 is still the better game overall.

But New Vegas has a MUCH, MUCH better story/plot.
    Yeah, a lot of people dislike FO3's main storyline. I loved it, though. I liked the concept of "sacrifice for the greater good". While it could have been better, I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by TeenageToddler View Post
    Yeah, a lot of people dislike FO3's main storyline. I loved it, though. I liked the concept of "sacrifice for the greater good". While it could have been better, I loved it.
    A lot of stuff has the "sacrifice for the greater good" and a lot have done it better. My recent favorite one is the movie Sunshine by Danny Boyle which is about people flying pretty much the largest bomb in known existence to the sun to "restart" the sun. I won't spoil the movie, but know not all of the crew makes it back to earth.

The movie is of course more philosophical then action based.

I managed to get 1550/1550 on Fallout 3, and there still is a ton of stuff still left to uncover in that world.

I wanna purchase New Vegas, but that would go against my new rule - no purchases until I clear more of the games I already own.

Maybe by then, the "Game of the Year" edition with all the DLCs will be out.