Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cheaper to be in diapers than not? O.o

Arrow Cheaper to be in diapers than not? O.o

Wow, so I was kind of bored today when we had a slow-down in calls, and
    I was looking at my pay and stats, and comparing it to previous months. They only pay you for the time when you're on the phone, and your stats are based on how well you follow schedule....Typical, so anyway.

I was looking and I imagine my supervisor was quite happy about the change...Before I started wearing to work my stats were staggering down, and a chunk out my pay actually too. Every time I would have to run to the washroom after waiting until a call was over it would ding me. I still need to see a doctor, but I'm pretty-sure I know what happened and why things went downhill in the first place. But that also affected my pay because apparently you can't bring the phones to the potty! You have to be on the phone to get paid right...So anyway being in diapers has helped this...stats has gone up, and even if it's small, so has my pay.

Thing is, we are only supposed to have one washroom break, or at least the system only accomodates for that, but who's to say if I'm going to have to go right when break hits. Hmmm?...Especially on a 9+ hour shift with only 2 breaks and a lunch. (They're dying for people and no shift is less than 9 hours...You also don't leave on a call, and they have you sign things that say if they want you an extra hour or two that you have to be there "for continued employment" or something like that)...Ya, call centre waivers are crap, but that goes with the job.

So I actually calculated out a rough summary of what I'm actually making back here...I'm too lazy to put all the numbers down because I was only doing it when I was bored at work, and you can probably tell how bored I was to actually have done this, but anyway...I took an average of 10 days (I get around 9-12 days on a pay-check..bi-monthly not biweekly) and took an average of the breaks I took (about 5 minutes each...logging in and out of the computer can take about 2 minutes sometimes, plus getting all the way across the building and back each time, and then actually going and stuff)...So then I took the cost of the abri-forms (about $1.50 each here)...and worked it out. Because of wearing diapers to work I actually come off with about double the the cost of the diapers themselves...So take half that off for the cost of the diapers and I'm actually better off in diapers at work anyway!

Wow, lol...If bladder issues themselves isn't enough excuse for me to wear diapers for them...XD

Anyway, obviously I was really bored, but ya...

It really depends on how you're getting paid, though. Where I work, I get paid whether I even show up or not, so wearing diapers to avoid breaks wouldn't help me.

Also, most retail places pay you for your breaks (maybe not lunches) and you can usually take a break any time you need to tinkle. So.......... Unless you're in a job where your pay is directly dependent upon your continued unbroken performance, it's not gonna really be any cheaper or more cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Orms Einbani View Post
    So.......... Unless you're in a job where your pay is directly dependent upon your continued unbroken performance, it's not gonna really be any cheaper or more cost effective.
    True, but that's obviously not the case with my job. **shrug**

I never took the time to figure it out, but I expect the same would hold true for anyone who works in a call centre...that's the biggest problem with call centres...you're only paid for the time you're logged into your phone...even tho' you have to be there 15 minutes early to log into the computer and all of the company software therein. I know it's the same where I work now and worked in the past. You are only paid for phone time and the two 15 minute breaks (required by law). You are not paid for lunches. You are not paid for bathroom breaks. You are not paid for any minutes you are late back from a break...so if 13 minutes into your break you realise "oh sh*t I gotta go!" and you end up 3 minutes late back...you're dinged. Sucks but they can get away with it, apparently, since it's been the same everywhere I've worked. Places where you're not required to 'clock' every minute of your day is different...if there's a slow period 'n you need a tinkle break...go...and nothing is said (unless you take an unusual number of 'short breaks' of course).

All together now..."CALL CENTRES SUCK!!!"

Darkfinn

Well... an interesting statistic. I have read things about employees at several different companies using diapers instead of a potty break b/c it is faster and easier... and it lets them stay clocked in longer.

It's not cool... it's not right... but that is how the world works sometimes.

Personally I am glad to be in diapers at work. It lets me avoid potty breaks when we get super busy. Being the only person out in the warehouse it's hard to sneak away 4-5 times a day to go potty... especially when things really start rolling late in the day. I usually take 5 mins to go clean up and change sometime right after lunch... then it's back out on the floor.

EmeraldsAndLime

Ouch, that's a far cry from the jobs I've worked before. The only time my pay gets docked is when I take my half-hour break. Other than that, I get unlimited bathroom breaks and other rest periods.

I think once I did about 30mins work from a 7 hour shift, and got paid for my 6.5hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    Ouch, that's a far cry from the jobs I've worked before. The only time my pay gets docked is when I take my half-hour break. Other than that, I get unlimited bathroom breaks and other rest periods.

I think once I did about 30mins work from a 7 hour shift, and got paid for my 6.5hrs.
    Where exactly do you work?

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    It depends solely on your job. If you work in a job where you're paid by the output you produce, sitting around idling will not get you any money. That kind of payment is possible in factories where you work by yourself, call centers or in the sales department.
    If you aren't responsible for your output, or if it cannot be measured, you get paid by the hour. Firemen, for example, get paid by the hour and not by fire because it's a good thing (no fires) when they sit around doing nothing. The same applies to most office workers of cashiers in stores: It's not the employee's fault if there's no customers to ring up, is it?

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Peachy View Post
    The same applies to most office workers of cashiers in stores: It's not the employee's fault if there's no customers to ring up, is it?

Peachy
    Well, um, ACTUALLY, there's this really creepy guy who works at my local Safeway. I avoid him at all costs when buying things, but besides that, yep!

Also, I figured you were talking about the cost of water vs. diapers. I was dubious. But no more!