Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Computer people, I need a bit of help.

  1. #1

    Default Computer people, I need a bit of help.

    I'm buying myself an HP ENVY for Christmas this year and getting it customized. And, being technologically challenged, I have a few questions. As you all know, I'm a graphic arts/media person. I plan to run Adobe CS5 Design Premium on it, along with Adobe Premiere.

    I'm also getting into PC gaming if that makes a difference.

    So, erm, my questions were...

    • What kind of processor do I need for these things? (What the hell is a processor anyways?)
    • How much RAM do I really need?
    • What about harddrive space?


    I know a desktop would probably be better for this, but I'm moving in a year of two and I plan to be out of my house for most of the time helping my family up north. (They're all getting old and my aunt has two small kids, not to mention the fact that it would be better for my health...)

    In other news: My mom and brother getting me a Norfolk Terrier sometime before I move as a "going-away" gift. We've already decided to name him Gordon Freeman. I am way too happy.

  2. #2

    Default

    The processor is the central unit of a computer. It interprets instructions you put in (a mouse click, a keystroke) and translates it to data. It's always a good idea to get the best one you can, but for graphic arts, I'm not sure how big of one you need. For RAM... If you're looking at a desktop, you can usually get 3+ gigabytes of RAM for stupid cheap. Usually at no extra cost. I say get around 4+ if you're running multiple things at the same time. And since you're into graphics and stuff, get a big hard drive. You're going to get the best value for your money if you get a desktop, as high-end laptops can get pricey.

    What you want to pay attention to is getting a good graphics card and monitor. It makes things look better.

  3. #3

    Default

    This looked like the best bang for your buck to me. If you don't save a lot of videos, you could downgrade the hard drive, since it would be pretty much wasted. It recommends 6gb of RAM, but 4 is enough for pretty much anything.

  4. #4

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by pastrami View Post
    This looked like the best bang for your buck to me. If you don't save a lot of videos, you could downgrade the hard drive, since it would be pretty much wasted. It recommends 6gb of RAM, but 4 is enough for pretty much anything.
    I plan to get the 17.3" screen, because.. well... I need a big screen with me at all times. The harddrive is one of my biggest issues, though, because I'm not exactly sure how much space my software alone would take up. (I have a 1TB external drive from my grandpa for everything not-work related, but PSD files and the like can be pretty big if you're a layer-whore like I am...)

    My current configuration is 1600 USD, and that I'm pretty happy about, since I got 6GB of RAM and the full HD screen. (I know, I know, I could be using a desktop, but I've always liked laptops better since I can use them pretty much everywhere, like when I just want to lay on the floor and watch goats farting.)

    EDIT: Or, alternatively, I could get an HP Pavillion, get the same basic stuff, and save a few hundred bucks. Why is the world of computing so confusing?!

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Shukkume View Post
    I plan to get the 17.3" screen, because.. well... I need a big screen with me at all times. The harddrive is one of my biggest issues, though, because I'm not exactly sure how much space my software alone would take up. (I have a 1TB external drive from my grandpa for everything not-work related, but PSD files and the like can be pretty big if you're a layer-whore like I am...)

    My current configuration is 1600 USD, and that I'm pretty happy about, since I got 6GB of RAM and the full HD screen. (I know, I know, I could be using a desktop, but I've always liked laptops better since I can use them pretty much everywhere, like when I just want to lay on the floor and watch goats farting.)

    EDIT: Or, alternatively, I could get an HP Pavillion, get the same basic stuff, and save a few hundred bucks. Why is the world of computing so confusing?!
    I say, if you're willing to spend that kind of money and the features are basically the same, go with what you want. Nothing worse than dropping 1500 dollars on a computer and having buyer's remorse.

  6. #6

    Default

    I'm guessing that it's just obvious that I'm going with the Pavillion. Might as well. But I'll get a few more opinions and watch some reviews before I decide for sure.

    The world confuses me. :C

  7. #7

    Default

    I'd go with the desktop. I don't know how much you use laptops currently, but I know that I don't like working in Lightroom on a laptop. It's a much nicer experience on my desktop w/ 8GB of RAM and a 26" screen. Also, don't let screens that say "FullHD" fool you. More pixels is better. All the "FullHD" means is that you have 1080 horizontal lines of pixels, if you have, say, 1200, you aren't HD anymore, but you have a better display.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Shukkume View Post
    I'm buying myself an HP ENVY for Christmas this year and getting it customized. And, being technologically challenged, I have a few questions. As you all know, I'm a graphic arts/media person. I plan to run Adobe CS5 Design Premium on it, along with Adobe Premiere.

    I'm also getting into PC gaming if that makes a difference.

    So, erm, my questions were...

    • What kind of processor do I need for these things? (What the hell is a processor anyways?)
    • How much RAM do I really need?
    • What about harddrive space?


    I know a desktop would probably be better for this, but I'm moving in a year of two and I plan to be out of my house for most of the time helping my family up north. (They're all getting old and my aunt has two small kids, not to mention the fact that it would be better for my health...)

    In other news: My mom and brother getting me a Norfolk Terrier sometime before I move as a "going-away" gift. We've already decided to name him Gordon Freeman. I am way too happy.
    My God.

    I typed and typed and typed in your blog for naught??

    This makes me a sad panda.

    I'm sure you know this, but were I you, I'd go with 4GB of RAM rather than 6GB, and put the extra $100 toward a REALLY nice tablet. You're probably looking around $400 or so for a reasonably-sized one. Unless, of course, you like the one you have. In that case, get the stylus fixed/replaced--not with duct tape--and focus on your peripherals and I/O devices.

    I look at it this way: the box will go away in 3 (PC) or 5 (Apple) years. However, my mouse, keyboard, speakers, external devices, monitor, printer, etc. are going to be around for considerably longer. For you, this would translate to: mouse, keyboard, stylus/tablet, monitor.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    My God.

    I typed and typed and typed in your blog for naught??

    This makes me a sad panda.

    I'm sure you know this, but were I you, I'd go with 4GB of RAM rather than 6GB, and put the extra $100 toward a REALLY nice tablet. You're probably looking around $400 or so for a reasonably-sized one. Unless, of course, you like the one you have. In that case, get the stylus fixed/replaced--not with duct tape--and focus on your peripherals and I/O devices.

    I look at it this way: the box will go away in 3 (PC) or 5 (Apple) years. However, my mouse, keyboard, speakers, external devices, monitor, printer, etc. are going to be around for considerably longer. For you, this would translate to: mouse, keyboard, stylus/tablet, monitor.
    I totally considered a Macbook, I totally did. And I still am, so your efforts weren't in vain. :P I might have to get one anyways, actually. I recently applied for schools that all require macs. (In retrospect, I really wondered why I even created this thread, because I knew that I'd have desktop dorks all over me.)

    I've actually decided on getting a Bamboo Fun, which I have money stashed away for. (But not before Christmas, because I wanna be all fresh.)

    If you can give me 4 reasons why I should get a Macbook (because that's my favourite number), I will get one and leave the world of PCs behind me. I'll probably become a hipster, but I'm on that path already.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Shukkume View Post
    I totally considered a Macbook, I totally did. And I still am, so your efforts weren't in vain. :P I might have to get one anyways, actually. I recently applied for schools that all require macs. (In retrospect, I really wondered why I even created this thread, because I knew that I'd have desktop dorks all over me.)

    I've actually decided on getting a Bamboo Fun, which I have money stashed away for. (But not before Christmas, because I wanna be all fresh.)

    If you can give me 4 reasons why I should get a Macbook (because that's my favourite number), I will get one and leave the world of PCs behind me. I'll probably become a hipster, but I'm on that path already.
    I can absolutely give you four reasons why you should get a Macbook. But I can also give you four reasons why you should get a PC.

    See, this is where being able to see just about everything from a multitude of angles and aspects is harmful.

    I think I'll leave off by saying that the best advice I can think of is to consider the points I made in the blog. I'm not an "art" person myself, so I'm not sure what the Bamboo Fun has to offer or how it compares next to a Wacom, but I believe Sila has a Bamboo of some sort; she might be a good person to chat with about the Fun.
    Last edited by h3g3l; 05-Nov-2010 at 01:49. Reason: Nope. No Fun there.

Similar Threads

  1. Overcoming shyness and how to approach people/talk to people?
    By timmahtherebel in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 30-May-2010, 04:53
  2. Why are people annoyed by innocent people?
    By Calico in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-Jul-2009, 15:02
  3. AFK: Away From Computer
    By Mandy in forum Computers & Gaming
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 15-Feb-2009, 04:09
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16-Jan-2009, 21:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.