Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uhm... well, an uncomfortable topic, but I really need to work this out....

Default Uhm... well, an uncomfortable topic, but I really need to work this out....

Well, where to start? Never mind, I'll just write this "on the fly". Hope you don't get annoyed by split ideas.

Anyway, as you can see on my profile and under my avatar, I'm from MX. Normally the first thing that comes to your mind with that is f...... immigrants. I'm totally against illegals and sort (they give us all a bad name), but how to tell people. I've had bad online days because of my nationality -- lots of people have really strong prejudices-- and I've got banned, rejected or ignored from other forums.

I consider I'm not a bad person or a jerk or else, I gave good knowledge of things and I'm always willing to help, but it seems like no one cares, for them I'm worth crap.

I know that's none of your business or that you could be doing something else rather than reading this, but I really needed to tell this to someone, and because this is a very helpful and friendly forum, I thought "well, why not?".

Well is there like a question to this? I could care less where you are from...Not all immigrants are from Mexico, so people shouldn't really assume you are one

Darkfinn

I try to judge people on an individual basis... you don't seem bad at all. If I have a problem with illegals or anything it is out here in the real world. Online we're all the same.

InconJenOnWheels

You seem like a nice guy. I have no problem with people from Mexico.

I'm sorry to hear that some people make a big (negative) deal about that. Very unfair to take out their gripes on you. I did notice you were from Mexico in your introduction and my basic thought was "cool, we're picking up people from different places!" I prefer to let personality and character dictate how I respond to people, so I hope you'll let us get to know you better.

We're having the same problem in the Netherlands, here if you're an immigrant (even legal ones) you are bad and cause trouble. At least that's what everyone here seems to think. It's not as bad anymore due to that asshole in the politics that wants to kick all immigrants out of the country and force everyone with a double nationality to chose. That would mean that even I have to make that choice!!! And I've been born here! His plan backfired if you ask me as people have become more acceptant. If you wonder who I'm talking about look for "Fitna the movie" and you'll find out. I do not agree with what's being said in this movie, that's Wilder's view on it and only his!

Point is, people that don't have the intellectual capability to think past groups exist there also exist people that don't want to think in anything other then groups. I really don't agree with this way of thinking but you can't escape it.

Also like Darkfin said, online we're all equal. It seems like you met people that didn't agree with that but if they are so closed minded, do you even want to be on their forum? I wouldn't.

I don't see a problem with you being form Mexico, to me your just another one of the memebers here, if you have anything to add to any conversation just speak your mind.

And if you think people don't like you because of where your from, just change that on your avitar, unless you know me you have no idea where I'm from, and If you want to know I will tell you.

I have no prejudices against Mexicans, and you seem like a perfectly friendly person. Personally, I don't think you'll encounter any of that here.

And, I may be late with this, but welcome to ADISC.

EmeraldsAndLime

I think Australia has similar problems with immigration and immigrants. People seem to think you are a new arrival if you don't have the white-European look about you, unless they know that person on a more personal level. It's ironic really, considering that we are such a relatively young country and that a vast number of people here are immigrants, or are descended from immigrants - including the white-Australians.

If anything, the problem we have here about it is the overwhelming number of immigrants who come down and refuse to integrate into the way of life we have here. They come here, form their own separate circles, minorities, communities and in no way take part in what our lifestyle is. This really have potential to piss off a lot of people and it's happened before. It's not racist in the sense that we should force these people to give up all their home-country values - because we aren't - but we do expect that whilst they have residence here to live by our rules and take part in our way of life. This ensures that what we have made for ourselves isn't enveloped by some distance culture and in turn, we don't lose our identity as Australians.

Whilst we have tight immigration laws, it doesn't help the country much when we let in people who can barely speak English and refuse to learn it. I know people who have lived here for over 30 years and they can still only have an extremely limited English vocabulary. This can be a real burden to our culture in that it's a purposeful attempt to isolate themselves from the rest of the country. To me, these people really don't care about the country. They just live here, sap up our resources and leave a legacy of families that have grown up in an isolated environment.

But I guess in part we only have ourselves to blame for the loss of cultural identity. Australia is an extremely large country (6th largest in the world), yet our population in only about 21 million. We simply don't have the numbers (nor the ecosystem, mind you) to fill out every mile in our country. Immigration fills in these gaps. But on top of that, the birth-rate of European-descended Australians has dropped off in recent years. Birth numbers have been in a steady decline whilst immigration numbers have been constant or increased. Strange enough, I believe at some point the government was going to launch an advertisement campaign in Europe to promote the country and the prospect of permanent residence here.

Peachy

Quote Originally Posted by Lukie View Post
    But on top of that, the birth-rate of European-descended Australians has dropped off in recent years. Birth numbers have been in a steady decline whilst immigration numbers have been constant or increased. Strange enough, I believe at some point the government was going to launch an advertisement campaign in Europe to promote the country and the prospect of permanent residence here.
    I think the problems you decribe, Lukie, are the same everywhere with immigrants. My country has the exact same experience with immigrants - they don't care to learn the local language (German), they remain within their own circles and, while the average German has 1.36 kids, the immigrants often drag a bus load of kids behind them when they go shopping.

The actual problem is that the locals are torn between the benefits of immigration (new cultural influences, larger workforce to pay for future pensions and health insurance) and its disadvantages (loss of one's own culture, jobs being filled with cheaper immigrants rather than locals). It's hypocritical to protest against Mexican immigrants (in the case of the U.S. - we don't have any) but then rush down to a Mexican restaurant for a burrito.

However, putting down an entire country's population or a culture just because some immigrants from there are causing trouble is wrong. I even fail to see why anyone would attack you personally, DiaperCames. You're not an immigrant to begin with (you live in your own country), and are neither part of any perceived problem with immigrants in the U.S. nor the solution thereof.

At least on this forum, we have people from all over the world. PArt of the fun of being here is learning about people from other countries, their habits, opinions and their diapers. And the more you learn about the world outside your border, the more you get an idea of what life is like there..and also about what's good and bad in your own country. People who aren't open minded enough or willing to take the time to learn about other countries have no right to critize anyone. It's like criticizing Einstein's Theory of Relativity even though you continuously failed physics classes in school.

What to do when people attack you again? Ignore them! They're idiots and not worth your time. And if it's someone from here who's sending you offensive words, don't hesitate to contact a moderator. We don't want racism here!

Peachy