Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your longest and shortest flights

Default Your longest and shortest flights

As the thread title says, list your longest as well as your shortest flights. Also list your opinion of them, how they went, etc.

My longest flight was this past summer, from New York (JFK) to Bombay (BOM), in just under 15 hours on the plane without stopping anywhere. This is the first time I have gone to India without stopping in Europe. It was honestly better than I was expecting. After take off dinner was served. I then slept for 6 hours. Breakfast was then served, and after that I watched two movies, and then "lunch" was served prior to landing.

My shortest flight was only two weeks ago. I went up to Old Rhinebeck Aerodome, where World War I era aircraft are flown and displayed. They actually did give flights, and the feeling of wind blowing in your face, the old fashioned masks, the sound of the propeller, as well as excellent views of the Hudson River made for an excellent flight. Sadly, it was only 10 minutes long.

The longest flight I've been on is either Washington Dulles (KIAD) to Tokyo Narita (RJAA) or Atlanta Hartsfield (KATL) to NRT. That was a long 13 hours. The shortest I can think of is probably Tampa (KTPA) to Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood (FLL).
    Last edited by dcviper; 29-Oct-2010 at 23:17. Reason: changed ICAO ID's to IATA

I've never been on a plane so there isn't a shortest or a longest however, last summer my family and I drove down to Georgia for a weekend. On the ride back, which should have only taken 22 hours, the GPS we were using took us off of the highway to avoid "Congestion ahead". Anyway, we ended up driving around New Jersey for about an hour and then later got stuck in the Bronx of New York. Let me tell you, when it's really hot out and four people and a small dog are all in one car, lost. Blood starts to boil... I was so glad we had also decided to bring a map. Everyone agrees that next time we go down there, we're flying.

Longest flight was from Sydney to LA at just on 14 hours hard to belive that traveling at 500mph over water you get an idea of how big the planet is. The shortest would be from townsville in QLD Australia to Cairns about 25 minutes.

I measured the distance between cities via Google Earth's ruler feature.

The longest single flight I've flown on, so far is Minneapolis-St. Paul (KMSP) to Ted Stevens Anchorage (PANC) last year (2009) about 6 hours and is about 2550 air miles. There will be a slightly shorter flight coming up the day before Thanksgiving for me - from Philadelphia (KPHL) to Seattle-Tacoma (KSEA) which is also about 6 hours of flight time with about 2380 air miles. My current 2nd longest flight before the PHL-SEA one is San Francisco (KSFO) to Honolulu (PHNL) in 1998, which is also about 2380 air miles.

Shortest flight is definitely Lihue (PHLI (LIH)) to Honolulu (PHNL) at 101.62 air miles (about less than an hour).

My longest flight was 7 feet using a bike and a ramp. My shortest flight was not measured but also involved my bike and a rapidly approaching hole in which I suddenly realized wasn't filled with concrete.

I have never been on a plane before.

Longest was Gatwick to Orlando at 9.5 hours (we had to circle for half an hour for a reason I cannot remember) and my shortest was probably Gatwick to Portugal (can't remember what airport) at 2 hours.

From my home town to Toronto: 3 hours. From Toronto to the Carribean: 3 hours.

That should give you a little idea about how crap my hometown is.

Quote Originally Posted by beetle99 View Post
    I measured the distance between cities via Google Earth's ruler feature.

The longest single flight I've flown on, so far is Minneapolis-St. Paul (KMSP) to Ted Stevens Anchorage (PANC) last year (2009) about 6 hours and is about 2550 air miles. There will be a slightly shorter flight coming up the day before Thanksgiving for me - from Philadelphia (KPHL) to Seattle-Tacoma (KSEA) which is also about 6 hours of flight time with about 2380 air miles. My current 2nd longest flight before the PHL-SEA one is San Francisco (KSFO) to Honolulu (PHNL) in 1998, which is also about 2380 air miles.

Shortest flight is definitely Lihue (PHLI (LIH)) to Honolulu (PHNL) at 101.62 air miles (about less than an hour).

IATA vice ICAO codes FTW! I suddenly like you even more :P

Shortest was either a flight from Halifax international to Boston (About 45 minutes) or a trip from New York to Washington. I am not sure as when traveling to Washington we were stuck on the tarmac for nearly twice as long as the actual flight.

The Longest was about six hours from New York to L.A.