Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With the elections less then a week away

Default With the elections less then a week away

Just thought I'd make a quick thread as a friendly reminder about the upcoming U.S.A elections. If you are planning to vote (doesn't help if you already have through early balloting :P) make sure to do your research BEFORE Tuesday. I know it is "boring" and takes time out of doing other things, but we need more people to pay attention to the candidates and their stances, besides just what you see in the ads. This includes the 3rd parties, as you never know if you'll find one you like. Not going to lie, sometimes even with hours of research, you still come down to just a gut feeling or choice, but at least you know more about who/what you are voting for unlike many U.S. citizens out there voting.

Struggling for words, and rambling a bit xD, but seriously look into the candidates, propositions, and so forth before you vote. If you are registered, you should be sent a sample ballot which has everything that will be on the full one. Use that and google and start doing some searching. Project Vote Smart is great as well, but not ever candidate does their test so it isn't always as helpful.

Hopefully something in there made sense :P

I am with you dude. People need to know who there voting for, before they actually vote for them. I'm only 14, so I can't vote. :P

Already voted (would get massive negrep if I said who I voted for), and plan to be at the polls during the day and at the after party that night. But please, everyone educate themselves on your ballot, especially referendum issues. They can be kind of hard to understand, but read carefully and take your time. No one is rushing you. Just read, think, and vote for what you think is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Howl View Post
    I know it is "boring" and takes time out of doing other things, but we need more people to pay attention to the candidates and their stances, besides just what you see in the ads.
    I was for a long time one of those people livid at Ralph Nader for the mess in Florida in 2000. Couldn't figure out for the life of me why someone would vote for a 3rd party candidate. Then about 2 years ago he was the keynote speaker at a conference about environmental issues at my college. My God, if this man ever gets elected to an office, I'm gonna up and leave for that jurisdiction without a moment's notice.

I really, really, really wish the US would have run-off votes for national elections. It would mean that no one would have to avoid voting for a 3rd party candidate for fear of it "really" being a vote for the big party candidate one the other side of the spectrum.

---------- Post added at 01:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    Already voted (would get massive negrep if I said who I voted for)
    Hitler?

Already voted (would get massive negrep if I said who I voted for), and plan to be at the polls during the day and at the after party that night. But please, everyone educate themselves on your ballot, especially referendum issues. They can be kind of hard to understand, but read carefully and take your time. No one is rushing you. Just read, think, and vote for what you think is right.
    I'm sorry you feel that way. I'd be very upset if someone -rep'd me for simply voting my conscience. Unless of course, you voted for Rick Scott, who my father thinks is the anti-christ. (He works for a HCA hospital near Tampa).

Also, like sparkmaster did, if it's not too late to vote early, do it! I always feel a bit harried and rushed in the voting booth, even though I've generally already made up my mind. With an absentee ballot, you can take it home, sit down at your desk and carefully fill it out.

With the Tea Party madness this year, there are several viable third party and even write in candidates in national races this year (Sen. Lisa Murkowski, for example) If you don't know who it running, you local paper should have a non-biased nonpartisan voters guide covering all of the races that will appear on your ballot (in my precinct of Ohio, there were something like 40 races, plus a few ballot issues for the state and city). In many cases, the voter guide will include answers to written questions posed by the newspaper to the candidates, so that what appears in the guide came directly from the campaign/candidate)

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    Also, like sparkmaster did, if it's not too late to vote early, do it! I always feel a bit harried and rushed in the voting booth, even though I've generally already made up my mind. With an absentee ballot, you can take it home, sit down at your desk and carefully fill it out.
    I looked into this in NJ and the process was a bit ridiculous. You need to mail in a form to whoever handles such things, then they send you back an early voting form. I was concerned that it would be late enough the process would actually take longer than voting at the booth (which is across the street from me), and it might invalidate my ability to vote at the booth if the form didn't arrive in time.

question since im aussie, i heard obama could lose the house of reps majority? then how can someone reamain president when his party doesnt have a majority in the house of reps?

in aussie systems power of government is formed through a party havuing a majority of seats in the house of reps and the leader of the party is the prime minister, therefore i dont think independants can become PM,
    whats americas system?

The basic way to explain it is that the President is a separate position from the House and Senate (two bodies of Congress), if both of them were one body, then it would somewhat similar to Aussie system. As they are the body that makes the law, and in the House the majority party elects a "Speaker" who presides over the house. Basically the reason Obama could be President while the House is Republican, is due to the fact that Presidency isn't related to Congress.

Not the greatest explanation in the world, but hopefully it helps some. some wiki pages to check out that probably explain better:
    President of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Already voted (would get massive negrep if I said who I voted for).
    I would think people on ADISC wouldn't be so childish to rep or negrep a person based on their beliefs. And if they did, I'm 99% sure it would be removed as invalid.

... i must say thats a silly system, a president in power but having a minority in the houses of congress? that means he has so little influence as leader.

He actually has a fair bit of influence even when his party isn't holding the majority, thanks to veto power (which can be overridden by the congress, but requires 2/3rd which is incredibly hard to get). As well as some nifty executive powers (most I forgot xD)