Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: What are we doing, America?

  1. #1

    Default What are we doing, America?

    Ok, since the elections are just around the corner, i have felt motivated to talk about this. in my short life on this earth, all i've heard about america and government, is just partisan nonsense. you have to be republican or democrat, you get belittled and fingers pointed in your face from the other side, and i have always thought, What are we doing? We sit and scream at our TVs, because there's a person from the opposite party speaking on the TV, while something has been alluding us for a long time.

    America, let's face it; this stuff has been on the way for a while. Republicans say that the democrats are responsible for the crisis in america, and the democrats say it's the republicans' fault, they drove the car in the ditch... Well, when you're in a ditch, you dont dig faster.... YOU STOP DIGGING! Our vice president Joe Biden ((yes, this was a while ago, but it's still relevant in my mind)) told the american people that we must spend more money to keep from going bankrupt, that we need more debt. I am a firm believer that we need to operate the government like the business, because i guarantee you if anybody out there tried to operate a business like the government, it would never last. It's just not efficient.

    What we dont always see, though, is that this isn't one party's problem. this is an american problem. People, if we are going to get out of this crisis, this economic crisis, these ridiculous charades, we need to stick together as We the People, instead of "We the Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, or Statists" we need to unite on common principles. We need to realize that the individual liberties were bestowed on us by God ((Or your humanity, if you're an athiest. i say God specifically because our country was founded on Judeo-christian beliefs)) and they do NOT come from the Government, we give some power to the government to help guard our liberties from those who dare try to take them from us. Because if we let the government give us our liberties, they will ALWAYS take them away, with a little bait.

    America, i truly believe we are at a crossroad here. we can take one path, or the other. we can just name call and riot, and get nothing accomplished, and watch our freedom slip away, or we can say, "enough is enough!" and step up and make a difference by being informed republicans ((little "r", referring to a Republic, which is our form of government, which many people call a "representative democracy")) and voting at the November elections. I beg you, as a teenager who will soon inherit the mistakes and sucesses of this great nation, i beg you to vote and not let me down. To try to make sure this country is better than it was when you came into the world.

    In conclusion, I ask that each and every one of you stand up for what you believe in, progressive, libertarian, democrat, republican, whatever. If this republic will last, we must make sure our voices our heard. But i also ask that we not let ourselves me enveloped in our political parties, and be Americans first, and a member of a political party later

    That's all i've got to say. if anyone wants to debate what i've said, because i probably have said something wrong ((really late here)), feel free. i'm much more informed and opinionated now, so i might be able to fight back better too

  2. #2

    Default

    A very true thing! I completely stay out of politics because I just can't understand the mindset of anyone, even people I agree with. I just don't think people will truly ever understand that having your "party" have control of the country is far less important then the country doing well. That sometimes you have to make personal sacrifices for a better tomorrow. Until we as a people rise up united, I agree that the problems are only going to get worse.

    Very very great post!

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BabyLink76 View Post
    Our vice president Joe Biden ((yes, this was a while ago, but it's still relevant in my mind)) told the american people that we must spend more money to keep from going bankrupt, that we need more debt.
    I don't know the origin of this statement or the context, but offhand, it sounds like a simplified form of something complicated. This statement could be either insightful or daft depending on context in which it was made.

  4. #4

    Default

    Spoken like a true American.
    Well, in my opinion.

    I honestly could care less about politics, mainly because I agree that it's screwing up our country and fighting won't solve anything.
    But for those involved in politics, I would say put your country before your party.
    Don't get involved in heated debates that realistically waste time.

    You spoke your mind and you stuck with it, and it's very impressive, Babylink.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by BabyLink76 View Post
    I am a firm believer that we need to operate the government like the business, because i guarantee you if anybody out there tried to operate a business like the government, it would never last. It's just not efficient.
    I'd like more information from you on this statement. Running the government like a publicly owned business is pretty similar to how we do it now (how the UK does it even moreso). Running the government like a privately owned business is essentially what the Germans did in 1933 with the Enabling Act. I don't think either of these is what you meant.

    ---------- Post added 28-10-2010 at 12:00 AM ---------- Previous post was 27-10-2010 at 11:55 PM ----------



    Quote Originally Posted by BabyLink76 View Post
    What we dont always see, though, is that this isn't one party's problem. this is an american problem. People, if we are going to get out of this crisis, this economic crisis, these ridiculous charades, we need to stick together as We the People, instead of "We the Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, or Statists" we need to unite on common principles. We need to realize that the individual liberties were bestowed on us by God ((Or your humanity, if you're an athiest. i say God specifically because our country was founded on Judeo-christian beliefs)) and they do NOT come from the Government, we give some power to the government to help guard our liberties from those who dare try to take them from us.
    But that's the exact genesis of most the decisiveness we as a society face. I feel I (and every other person, for that matter) have the deity-given right to do whatever I want to do with my body. That means I feel women have the unalienable right to abort a fetus for any reason, good or bad, or no reason. Other people feel that the developing embryo is a person, which logically dictates that all abortion is murder. Who's right?

    I also feel that everyone should have the fundamental right of access to quality healthcare. As I would place our society as a collective group (aka, the government) as the necessary guarantor of that right, I also feel a robust public health insurance option to be a necessary offering of the government. What about people who disagree? Who wins this battle? The "ridiculous charades" you abhor are the two opposing sides (the Democratic and Republican caucuses) doing exactly what you demand- guarding our liberties, as each interprets those liberties to be.

  6. #6

    Default

    There is, indeed, something very wrong when each side believes the other to be wholly evil and will destroy the nation.

  7. #7

    Default

    Nightfox, I'm pretty sure that, when he says "run it like a business", he's talking primarily about fiscal issues. A private business owner who handled money the way the congress does would be up in front of a judge within weeks.

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    There is, indeed, something very wrong when each side believes the other to be wholly evil and will destroy the nation.
    I'm not sure if this is directed at me, as I certainly don't feel as such.

    My point is simply that when you say "everyone should stand up for morals and for what they believe," strife is inevitable.

    ---------- Post added at 01:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------



    Quote Originally Posted by Cush View Post
    Nightfox, I'm pretty sure that, when he says "run it like a business", he's talking primarily about fiscal issues. A private business owner who handled money the way the congress does would be up in front of a judge within weeks.
    [Not disagreeing with anyone here. Just adding to the discussion.]

    Not necessarily. Financing a nation and a large business are both complicated. Receipts are only one issue in play. Take Amazon.com, for example. Great company, I use them all the time. Today they're listed in the Fortune 500 index and the S&P 100. Which is a great story for a company that took on massive debt to keep itself afloat while hemorrhaging cash for quite a long time. I think it was something like 5 or 6 years before they had a profitable quarter.

    For example, plenty of people complain about the cost of the recent healthcare bill. Yet the CBO estimates it'll actually save the government money. On the other hand, I admit I'm still wondering when the Iraqi oil revenues are going to start paying the half trillion some-odd dollars the war has cost so far. Like the Bush administration said they would.

    There's nothing inherently wrong with Congress spending money like a sailor on shore leave with massively expensive programs. It's all a matter of cost/benefit analysis.

  9. #9

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    I'm not sure if this is directed at me, as I certainly don't feel as such.

    My point is simply that when you say "everyone should stand up for morals and for what they believe," strife is inevitable.[COLOR="Silver"]
    No, not at you.

  10. #10

    Default

    *sigh*

    The OP has a thinly veiled bias:



    Quote Originally Posted by BabyLink76 View Post
    Republicans say that the democrats are responsible for the crisis in america, and the democrats say it's the republicans' fault, they drove the car in the ditch... Well, when you're in a ditch, you dont dig faster.... YOU STOP DIGGING! Our vice president Joe Biden ((yes, this was a while ago, but it's still relevant in my mind)) told the american people that we must spend more money to keep from going bankrupt, that we need more debt. I am a firm believer that we need to operate the government like the business, because i guarantee you if anybody out there tried to operate a business like the government, it would never last. It's just not efficient.

    ...

    ...i say God specifically because our country was founded on Judeo-christian beliefs...

    ...

    America, i truly believe we are at a crossroad here. we can take one path, or the other. we can just name call and riot, and get nothing accomplished, and watch our freedom slip away, or we can say, "enough is enough!"...
    If you're going to take the "higher ground" by making a general call for voting and post-partisanship, it would behoove you not to take ideological slaps at the other party in the process.

    The irony is...incredible. Either you knew you were including jabs in this post, which is hypocritical, or you didn't and you've demonstrated the very ignorance which is the great problem of democracy:

    The biggest argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter. -Winston Churchill



    I could respond to your jabs, seeing as I disagree with them, devolving a thread allegedly about post-partisanship into a partisan flame-fest. Given the situation, I'm left wondering if such is the veiled intent of this thread. For the time being, at least, I will avoid such and not be the guy who made such a food-fight explicit.

    For now, I find it sufficient to say that the original post is not the giant "be the bigger man" statement it purports to be. The blatant bias entirely undermines that message.

Similar Threads

  1. America, Politics, and the SS?
    By dcviper in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 21-Oct-2010, 16:19
  2. Adult diapers in South America? ¿Pañales en Latino America?
    By snowbird in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-Oct-2010, 03:26
  3. America Just Went Stupid
    By kite in forum Mature Topics
    Replies: 256
    Last Post: 29-Jun-2010, 12:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.