Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Genetic Disorders

Default Genetic Disorders

I have been thinking about creating a thread like this for quite some time. Yet up till now I have lacked the courage to try. I want to know how many of us have, and the effects of (physically and emotionally), genetic disorders. I guess I'm curious to see if there is anyone else around here that may have something in common with myself.

I have Tourette Syndrome. My tics are both motor and typically consist of either me "playing" (for lack of a better word) with my hands or rubbing the bridge of my nose vertically. Though the latter developed much later in my life. I was diagnosed at around age 6, and have taken medication ever since. The disorder may have, at least in part, triggered teasing from my peers and I didn't have a lot of friends as a child. As a result of my mixed environment (affectionate family, and outcast-ed at school) I have become the paradox I am today.

The only thing I have is allergies and that certainly doesn't impact as Tourette syndrome would. Isn't it sad that kids in school would make fun of something like that, but kids have a lot of growing up to do. I hope life treats you better now.

I have extreme allergies ('normal' and food), horrible sensitivities to cooked meats, endometriosis (inherited from my mother) and what my friends call "A natural disposition towards crazy men" (also from my mother's side!). I also have a menagerie of hormonal and other digestion issues, and irritability from my father's side. I'm absolutely terrified at the prospect of getting pregnant because of them. (I'm probably infertile, but if I do get pregnant, the baby could have so many issues and probably couldn't be carried to term.)

I can sorta emphasize with you, Kxdeadx. So many kids made fun of me in elementary school because of my diet. (I ate only organic vegetables, grains, and fish, but I was also very overweight due to my thyroid. They called me the 'fat lettuce girl'.)

One time when I was in scouts one of the other scouts convinced me to make fun of turrets while his dad was around (his dad was a troop leader). Turns out his dad has turrets. But I explained that it was his own son's idea, and they got in trouble too.

My family has a history of mental illness, so I guess that's genetic. Otherwise, I've got nothing to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by Kxdeadx View Post
    I have been thinking about creating a thread like this for quite some time. Yet up till now I have lacked the courage to try. I want to know how many of us have, and the effects of (physically and emotionally), genetic disorders. I guess I'm curious to see if there is anyone else around here that may have something in common with myself.

I have Tourette Syndrome. My tics are both motor and typically consist of either me "playing" (for lack of a better word) with my hands or rubbing the bridge of my nose vertically. Though the latter developed much later in my life. I was diagnosed at around age 6, and have taken medication ever since. The disorder may have, at least in part, triggered teasing from my peers and I didn't have a lot of friends as a child. As a result of my mixed environment (affectionate family, and outcast-ed at school) I have become the paradox I am today.
    Me! I've had Tourette Syndrome ever sense I was 5 (I think). I know exactly what you mean about getting teased. In my first few years of school people kept asking me "Is it contagious?" XD Hell, I used to get so angry when people made a reference to that youtube video "The Tourette Guy". I've learnd to not let that stuff bother me now.
    Most of my recent tics have been things like quickly exhaling through my nose in bursts (loud I might add), or shaking my head violently for a quick second, or I'd squint my eyes really hard. When I was younger I used to twitch my hands a lot. Although, that one seems to have past. I've never taken any medication for it, either it wasn't bad enough to need any or my parents didn't want me on any medication, not sure which. In any case, it's calmed down a bit, except for highly stressful situations or during times of anticipation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisusernamewontfi View Post
    Me! I've had Tourette Syndrome ever sense I was 5 (I think). I know exactly what you mean about getting teased. In my first few years of school people kept asking me "Is it contagious?" XD Hell, I used to get so angry when people made a reference to that youtube video "The Tourette Guy". I've learnd to not let that stuff bother me now.
    Most of my recent tics have been things like quickly exhaling through my nose in bursts (loud I might add), or shaking my head violently for a quick second, or I'd squint my eyes really hard. When I was younger I used to twitch my hands a lot. Although, that one seems to have past. I've never taken any medication for it, either it wasn't bad enough to need any or my parents didn't want me on any medication, not sure which. In any case, it's calmed down a bit, except for highly stressful situations or during times of anticipation.
    Come to think of it, I did get that "is it contagious?" question a lot too when it started. It was later replaced with the seemingly more popular, "What are you doing?" Although I consider my case rather mild, I think part of the medication was used for ADHD as well. (not a fun combo). I remember in 5th grade, the girl that sat next to me constantly interrupted the tics (I'm assuming) to help me focus in class. For some reason, it had a tendency to "tic" me off. (bad pun, I know).

Quote Originally Posted by Kxdeadx View Post
    Come to think of it, I did get that "is it contagious?" question a lot too when it started. It was later replaced with the seemingly more popular, "What are you doing?" Although I consider my case rather mild, I think part of the medication was used for ADHD as well. (not a fun combo). I remember in 5th grade, the girl that sat next to me constantly interrupted the tics (I'm assuming) to help me focus in class. For some reason, it had a tendency to "tic" me off. (bad pun, I know).
    By interrupt, do you mean like she physically stopped you from doing it or said something?
    Ah yes, that question was always followed with "What's Tourette's?" Which got really old, really quickly.
    One specific memory sticks in my mind. I remember it was right at the end of gym class (seventh grade) with a kid I hated at the time. I don't remember why, but we started fighting (verbally) and he ended up saying something like "Whatever, Twitchy." It's funny really, I wanted to throw a punch at him so badly but, I thought better of it and instead said "You're pathetic, you know that? You can't come up with a comeback so you point out my Tourette's. I can't control that but, you can control how much you eat and your still huge." Bit of a low blow, I know. But at the time I thought I was pretty slick. ( I have since apologized and were on better terms.) I defiantly took that stuff far to seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisusernamewontfi View Post
    By interrupt, do you mean like she physically stopped you from doing it or said something?
    Ah yes, that question was always followed with "What's Tourette's?" Which got really old, really quickly.
    One specific memory sticks in my mind. I remember it was right at the end of gym class (seventh grade) with a kid I hated at the time. I don't remember why, but we started fighting (verbally) and he ended up saying something like "Whatever, Twitchy." It's funny really, I wanted to throw a punch at him so badly but, I thought better of it and instead said "You're pathetic, you know that? You can't come up with a comeback so you point out my Tourette's. I can't control that but, you can control how much you eat and your still huge." Bit of a low blow, I know. But at the time I thought I was pretty slick. ( I have since apologized and were on better terms.) I defiantly took that stuff far to seriously.
    Both at the same time. I have some memories of my anger getting the better of me and actually getting into physical battles. The fact that I'm short for my age made the fact that I won those battles even better. Who expects a kid about half your size to suddenly tackle you to the ground and beat on your face? It definitely made me feel better. Though I sound a bit too proud of it now.

I don't know how genetic it is, but I have several problems. I have ADHD, and have struggled through school with that. I wasn't diagnosed until I was a Sophomore in high school. I also have involuntary muscle movements, twitches, and spasms.

I have a weird thing where I blink my eyes over and over again for no reason. It could be a simple series of one or two blinks to ten or more blinks. I've done that as long as I can remember, but don't think I've ever had it checked out though.

I have other things like allergies, skin problems, and asthma, but many people do so I don't really count them.