Thread: Terminology

squonk

Default Terminology

Here (in the UK) diapers are always called nappies so that's just one difference. I've always called them nappies but I've learned that where a lot of the forums are American, to call them diapers, for example, when replying to a thread that mentions diapers, I respectfully answer in the same language and try not to mention nappies.

But my question on this terminology is about when doctors/nurses/hospitals et al... they never call these items by the names that are commonly known by everyone... so here, for example, nappies/diapers (lol whatever) will be referred to as "pads"...

I can only think that they think that they are helping take away the 'baby' tag and replacing it with a more adult approach with the "pads" label...

I can see it, I can understand it but... who agrees that it's really helpful? Surely if a diaper is a diaper, it should be called just that? Has anyone else had the experience at the hospital or doctors where their diaper has been referred to as a "pad"?

*Just for reference, a "pad" over here means (also) a flat or an apartment!

I can only guess that it's mildly helpful to call them pads. I had to use goodnights for a little while when I was in elementary school. The package did not not call them diapers, so as to boost the child's self esteem. But kids aren't stupid! In my mind, it was still a diaper.

Leonard

The english language is full of this crap, no pun intended. Hundreds of synonyms and homonyms. It can get confusing easily, even within single communities, not just international. So don't feel out of place, spounk, because no one is in the right place when it comes to language.

Jeffy

I don't see why people seem so skittish about calling them "diapers" or "getting diapered" or anything like that. However in my house we have our cute lil terminology for everything, especially diapers. We tend to say we're "padded" "getting padded" "gonna go buy some padding" or even replace the whole word together with the word "crinkles" It's a lot of fun!

squonk

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
    The english language is full of this crap, so don't feel out of place, sqounk, because no one is in the right place when it comes to language.
    Yes, I'm English and think the English language is crazy. The Americans have it right on spelling too, as we put a "U" in everything "humour, colour" etc BUT... they do insist on adding a "Z" (zee) instead of an "S" for words like "rationalise" "patronise" etc... but you know, I can live with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy View Post
    I don't see why people seem so skittish about calling them "diapers" or "getting diapered" or anything like that. However in my house we have our cute lil terminology for everything, especially diapers. We tend to say we're "padded" "getting padded" "gonna go buy some padding" or even replace the whole word together with the word "crinkles" It's a lot of fun!
    I tend to agree on the first part. A lot of folks I know seem to use every possible term other than diaper/nappy. Whether this is just down to slang terminology (especially in the furry world) or a way of removing the link to the more babyish aspects (at least for non-ABs), I'm not sure. I went through that phase myself, but felt like I was kidding myself in the end, so I make a point of saying I like nappies/diapers (depending on audience) rather than going round the houses.

"A rose by any other name..." may be a good quote for here, unless the diaper/nappie were used

Leonard

the abdl community is the first place I've heard the word "padded"

And by that I mean "padded" as in diapered not as in for football.

And by football I mean American footboll.

Now i see what you mean.

Lot of people don't like to wear diapers. As children we are told diapers are for babies so it gets wired into our brains. So when they hear the word diaper as an adult, it makes them feel like a baby. No one wants to hear the word diaper because of the stigma to that word that got wired into their brains from when they were children. Parents tell their kids diapers are for babies. So for them to hear that word as an adult, its awkward for them. That's why they are called briefs or protective underwear. It's all about not making people feel bad for needing them and feel like they are a baby. I honestly think people need to re learn that diapers are not for babies and they are for people too who have no control over their bladder or bowels. I still call them diapers. I think the reason why the doctors call them pads is because they don't want to offend you. Like I say, lot of people don't like to hear the word diaper when they need to wear them.

But here, none of us mind calling them diapers and wouldn't mind hearing the word but the doctors don't know that. They just assume you wouldn't want to hear that word. Lot of incontinence don't like wearing them and refuse to call them diapers. From what I have seen on depends.com. Plus they seem very bitter about their medical condition and I knew a guy online who was incontinent and he said he had been to one of the support groups and all they do is bitch and moan about their problem. Plus my ex who was also incontinent tried the community too and he got crap from them also. They thought he was sick because he liked his diapers and accepted his condition. (He was a DL before he got incontinent but stopped wearing them because "it wasn't normal" and then he ended up needing them for real. Incontinent people do not like other incontinent people who find a partner that accepts their condition, lets them change them so to me they are all bitter and don't want others to be happy. Of course not all incontinent people are like this because there are lot of them here and they aren't like that. Plus I have seen complaints about the incontinent community and how unaccepting they are. I heard about it at Daily Diapers and from my ex.