Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NON-Incontinent - how do you...

Default NON-Incontinent - how do you...

Ok, this may sound like a really dumb question but it's been circling in my head for a while and I'm just going to say/ask it. It has been so long since I can remember what it feels like I was hoping maybe someone could describe or tell me how you guys can actually 'hold' it for so long? I mean going to see the movie RED when it opened the line was insane! I was about ready for a change by the time we got in and the movie started. How in the world can all those other ppl in line hold it back for so long??

I mean you get a feeling you have to go or do you just think you have to go first? Then if/when you get the feeling you just ... ??? Think about holding it back or is it like a kegel squeeze? Then how long can you hold it like that from the time you 'sense' you have to go?

I know it probably sounds silly but I figure what the heck. I might actually get an answer.

For me, holding it is an often painful process (or at least uncomfortable), but only when I really have the urge to go. Most of the time, I don't really even notice I'm doing it until I start to feel uncomfortable pressure sensations in my bladder. If I don't respond right away, it becomes painful. Then I become more prone to accidents should someone make me laugh to hard or something, lol.

My bladder is naturally a bit weak and small, so honestly I don't know how people can survive holding it as long as they do, unless their bladder is about 3 times the size of mine, lol. So yeah, it's fairly unpleasant for me a lot of the time, but I guess that's just one of the reasons why I prefer diapers. Others don't have such a rough time with things like that, and diapers don't ever even come to mind in terms of assistance or necessity.

This is kind of tough for me to answer though, since I have a sensory disorder which may be effecting my response here, lol. Anyhow, thanks for asking this anyway, as I find it an interesting question for those who have been incontinent for a long time/all their lives, and a unique concept for those of us who aren't incontinent to imagine life the other way.

good question, usually once it gets really bad, I can manage it by just distracting myself from thinking about it. Holding it for really long is painful though, had a few times held it for way too long and could barely stand from the pain after finally going (thus is incredibly unhealthy)

For some strange reason, my bladder control is (I think) very high. I have gone hours and hours while still holding it...Don't recommend. At school I sometimes find myself desperate for the last 2-3 class periods. When that happens I focus on my work as much as I can. Though sometimes it gets to the point where I'm sort of sub-consciously rocking from side to side out of intense discomfort. I guess years of being able to hold for long periods of time can do that for you. In fact its hardly noticeable until my mind isn't focused on something else (like class or the poem I'm currently reading: Paradise Lost). Sometimes I'm not conscious of it until I get on the bus home.

And if your wondering why I put myself through this at school: Boys bathrooms are disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kxdeadx View Post
    For some strange reason, my bladder control is (I think) very high.
    I'll second that. I can pretty easily go in the morning before heading out and not need to go again until I get back home in the evening. But by then I have a lot to unload and can spend a good 45 seconds with a solid stream. I guess I just have toward the high end of average bladder capacity. Of course if I drink a lot in the morning it can rush things. I find that liquids generally take 3-5 hrs to work their way to my bladder. I know a few people that seem to have that shaved down to more like 45 minutes, they can drink a bottle of pop and it seems to be able to hit them in under an hour.

As for the urge itself, I usually get "first notice" quite early, maybe 3-4 hrs later, but it's nothing even close to desperate, it's just a reminder that I can accomplish more than a little bit if I decide to pee. From there I suppose I get more reminders every half hour or more. For me it's never a feeling like I'm going to lose control like something I have to actively concentrate to control, it's just a pressure.

When I start to approach capacity the notices get more frequent, maybe every 15 minutes or so, and I can start to have minor "slips" where an urge hits me sharper than usual and I have to think about holding it for a sec.

When my bladder is getting desperate, the notices can be almost nonstop as can the slips of control. There's usually some pain involved as well, I suppose as my bladder muscles are getting tired of having to hold themselves tightly. Most changes of body position can cause spikes as the bladder gets pressured when I move or bend. Without adjusting the amount I drink, I've been able to hold about 16 hours.

Do you have any idea what your actual total usable capacity is before you lose control? Is there a very wide gap between your capacity "out in the field" as opposed to at home where you can concentrate on holding it? When you finally do lose control and wet your diaper, what is it that fails, is it a loss of concentration, a pressure you just can't hold, or pain?

Strangely, I've found that my limit seems to be higher when I'm wearing a diaper. The notices start just as early and as frequently, but I seem to be able to tolerate them more. And I've also found that with practice, my hold time has increased.

I drive to Kent, Ohio to Columbus, Ohio twice a month which is a 2 hour trip. Halfway down I'll stop at Starbucks to wake up but then usually have another urge shortly after from the caffeine. I also noticed by the time I get to sbux.... I have to pee like crazy. Long car rides are death for me. Though one time on my way home from Columbus, I was on a time crunch and actually had to be at work basically right when I got home. As soon as I left Cbus I had the urge.... I held it for 2 hours because I had absolutely no time to stop for a pee break. It was super uncomfortable and with a little effort I was ok. But, when I finally got home... it took serious effort in actually forcing my self to go... weird. But, when I need to hold it in... I guess I do kegles to hold it in.

I don't pee right when I get a feeling... my bladder will let me know its filling up and then I'll forget about it for a maybe an hour and then I'll notice there is an urge and I need to go soon.

I would recommend holding in any time you need to pee. If you don't know when its coming, try to stop the flow while your peeing and hold that in. Basically to a kegel squeeze and condition your bladder to start holding larger amounts of urine. Just be careful that you don't explode your bladder.

JDdl

Quote Originally Posted by Kxdeadx View Post
    For some strange reason, my bladder control is (I think) very high. I have gone hours and hours while still holding it...Don't recommend. At school I sometimes find myself desperate for the last 2-3 class periods. When that happens I focus on my work as much as I can. Though sometimes it gets to the point where I'm sort of sub-consciously rocking from side to side out of intense discomfort. I guess years of being able to hold for long periods of time can do that for you. In fact its hardly noticeable until my mind isn't focused on something else (like class or the poem I'm currently reading: Paradise Lost). Sometimes I'm not conscious of it until I get on the bus home.

And if your wondering why I put myself through this at school: Boys bathrooms are disgusting.
    I'm the same way and i also agree with the bathrooms being disgusting

I have very strong bladder control. It's just a...feeling, when it's full, and I need to pee. Hours later, it starts getting painful. If I'm working, then as soon as I feel full, it starts getting irritating and I want to relieve it...then that's one of the short-sighted times I wished I was incontinent so I'd have a reason to wear diapers everywhere (and family/friends wouldn't ask...)

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish I was incon. I'm too pragmatic for that...but yeah, still...I wish I was in a living/work situation which would make it viable for me to spend more time padded up :P.

Well from all the replies I sorta narrowed it down like this...

FEEL-
    painful process - uncomfortable pressure sensations in my bladder
    from the pain
    super uncomfortable
    It's just a...feeling - it starts getting painful

THOUGHT-
    manage it by thinking about it
    sub-consciously rocking-focused on something else
    think about holding it
    I'll forget about it for a maybe an hour

TIME-
    3-4 hrs later
    16 hours
    maybe an hour
    Hours later

So pretty much what I get the idea of is *feeling* (not sure if its like bladder nerves or mental feeling) then if you hold it it gets painful in the bladder area. But you CAN hold it back by thought. So... hmmm. I am wondering now if there might be a 'different' way to help on this now. I don't guess there is any way to describe the 'feelings'? like how they start, where they first come from, what they 'feel' like? What you do to 'hold it' exactly, is it more mental or physical? What happens if you hold it for to long? How do you know how long is to long?

I'm semi-incon...sometimes I can hold it, sometimes I get distracted or, for some reason can't. It's nearly always a concious EFFORT on my part to hold it when it reaches a certain stage.

This probably won't be as useful to you as a fully-continent male's perspective, TBchris, but here's how it goes for me:

First, there's a little 'pushing' sensation, just dull at first. The knowledge that I could go now, and have a 'good' amount of pee come out, but if I don't I'll be okay for a couple hours. There's no intense need to go, at this point.

Next, I get to the 'I need to hold it in' stage. Sometimes it takes an hour after the first sensation, sometimes it's not even that long after a drink. It's like a 'pushing' again, and sometimes a little bit of an ache in my belly. I have to squeeze my urethal muscles to prevent piddling. Imagine sucking up a straw full of soda or something, then pinching it halfway. When you lift it up, the half of the straw above where you're gripping is still full of liquid; as you stop pinching, the liquid runs out. That's kinda how it is for me.

As time goes on, I get infrequent 'warnings'; a sudden rush of sensation to my urethal muscles, making them clench, and more 'pushing'. This do get closer and closer together as I hold it. Sometimes, I do piddle myself a little during one of these warnings (when my muscles don't clench automatically) but I rarely have COMPLETE accidents then.

Next, it gets to the uncomfortable stage. Everything is pushing, pushing and I'm squeezing my muscles tight to keep everything in. Occassionally I 'release' slightly to test how bad I need to go, an' a couple tablespoons of pee (or so, haven't measured :p) manage to escape into my undies before I re-clench again. Expect to see dancing about, and rocking, as mentioned before. This is the stage where, unless I absolutely CANNOT STOP WHAT I'M DOING (or, I get too distracted), I go. This is when I might wet semi-accidentally; a 'test' release to see how bad I need to go becomes a flood before I manage to clench again.

Finally; the wetting stage. This is the point where, for whatever reason, my muscles can't clench tight enough to keep the pee in. I must walk, legs clamped together, desperately squeezing an' praying I'll make it to the loo. At this point, my bladder feels like it'll burst, and, unfortunately, every step makes me wet a little. The choice then becomes between taking BIG steps to reach the bathroom quicker (and therefore wetting myself more) or taking LITTLE ones to avoid piddling myself too much (but getting to the bathroom later, possibly resulting in a BIG accident). I usually choose the latter.

I try super hard to get to the toilet before the final stage, but sometimes I forget/put it off and it's not possible. I manage to hold my pee by clenching my urethal muscles...I don't know where they are on men, but, basically, when you pee, and you make yourself STOP mid-pee, those are the muscles you're using.