Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Political television ads

Default Political television ads

It seems like every political advertisement I see on television is a slam on the opposing view or candidate. Nobody is playing up their own strengths anymore - it's all about slinging mud.

If this is a proven method of getting more votes for oneself, the state of the American nation is very sad indeed. To me, that shows a genuine lack of character. To me, that is underhanded. It is OK to point out why they think the other side is wrong in a civilized fashion - but nobody really cares about civility when it comes to the world of politics. Come to think about it, they never really did.

Another thing about political ads that I despise - the ones that claim to show an average citizen, and then having him or her speak out against a bill being presented before voters as if they were some kind of fucking expert on the matter. Really, who the hell is that fooling? It seems like no average citizen is an expert on any of the issues anymore. Hell, even most of the politicians are no experts on any of the issues. I would be arrogant if I said I was an expert on knowledge of any such things, because I most certainly am not. Most people seem to look at every issue with complete and utter tunnel vision, only wanting to see what they want to see. Ah, that is the culture of the world around me. And I find that to be a very bleak picture, indeed.

The Rhode Island ones have been terrible this year. 4/5 of the ads all follow one of these two formats.
    "X is a politician. I'm not a politician!"
    "X raised taxes on y, z, a, b, etc. I hate raising taxes!"

In the UK the number of political ads is restricted, so that all the main parties get an equal number, only one or two a week outside of an election. They also have an announcement in front of them "There now follows a party political broadcast on behalf of...." so that people can turn off and not watch it ;-)
    I do like our system better.

Okay, I'm curious how you define "slinging mud". I don't think that pointing out facts about your opponent to illustrate differences is necessarily bad. What do you think of this example: YouTube - Hunters

JDdl

Quote Originally Posted by pastrami View Post
    The Rhode Island ones have been terrible this year. 4/5 of the ads all follow one of these two formats.
    "X is a politician. I'm not a politician!"
    "X raised taxes on y, z, a, b, etc. I hate raising taxes!"
    same with the Idaho ones and a good example of it is that one candidate kept saying that their opponent liked illegal immigration and even made an easy to understand how to, online guide. i personally don't believe it because couldn't he get arrested for helping illegal immigrants get into america.

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    Okay, I'm curious how you define "slinging mud". I don't think that pointing out facts about your opponent to illustrate differences is necessarily bad. What do you think of this example: YouTube - Hunters
    This couldn't really be considered mudslinging. If the other guy voted for the Assault Weapons Ban, the guy voted for the AWB. If the other guy got an F from the NRA, he got an F from the NRA. Can't really spin that.

Heck, it might actually hurt the guy running the ads if his constituency doesn't like the 2nd Amendment.

For the first time in awhile, both the party's congressional arms have actually gotten involved in AZ races (that I can remember) which has lead to more attack ads. So far its mostly been:

"Politician A voted for Obama/Reid/Polosi stuff, he wants your monehhhhhzzzz"

"Politician B mishandled your money or hates education or wants to cut medicare, hes ebillzzzz"

Neither side has ran once on their actual plans once in power. One side too busy attacking the character of the other side, and the other side is just attacking the voting record of the first side (in ways that are more that of an attack ad, than informative.)

Its better then our state races though, which are purely just "he is the evil one, not me!" "no the other guy is evil! I'm the good one!"

We've got an ugly race in Virginia between Periello and Hurt. Each side is accusing the other side of everything. There is one candidate who is actually running on his record rather than slinging mud and that is Rick Boucher. How unusual.

The biggest "problem" ones in AZ have been: Ann Kirkpatrick vs. Paul Gosar (District 1), Harry Mitchell vs. David Schweikert, the AZ treasurer race has heated up all of a sudden as well, and of course Ben Quayle vs. Jon Hulburd

I am sick of these commercials. I can't wait until the elections are over.