Thread: Vinyl Mattress Covers

Default Vinyl Mattress Covers

I've got a vinyl mattress cover, and over the past year or so, parts of it are becoming very stiff, and it will not under any circumstance stay on the damn bed. Does anyone know of a way to get the vinyl back to its original softness? None of my plastic pants have this problem, and most of them are older and come in to contact with bodily fluids more often.

Also, I'm considering replacing it with a polyurethane one (Plastic Mattress and Pillow Covers) from Fetware, does anyone have experience with that material? I've got a pair of pants made out of it, and I really like them. It seems to be significantly more durable than PVC.

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by dcviper View Post
    I've got a vinyl mattress cover, and over the past year or so, parts of it are becoming very stiff, and it will not under any circumstance stay on the damn bed. Does anyone know of a way to get the vinyl back to its original softness? None of my plastic pants have this problem, and most of them are older and come in to contact with bodily fluids more often.

Also, I'm considering replacing it with a polyurethane one (Plastic Mattress and Pillow Covers) from Fetware, does anyone have experience with that material? I've got a pair of pants made out of it, and I really like them. It seems to be significantly more durable than PVC.
    Polyurethane (PE) was selected for the original outer layer of disposable diapers because it stays soft longer than Poly Vinyl (PVC) when exposed to urine and body oils and body heat.

The waterproof sheeting I have used the past several years is made by the same folks who make Secure-Plus adult disposables. It has a modern soft flexible plastic as the central core. The part intended to contact the mattress is similar to flannel. The top layer is a synthetic non-woven material that will absorb minor leaks. These Secure Waterproof Sheets last a long time, can be washed if needed and do not bunch up on the bed. The ones I buy for my Twin Extra-Long mattresses have elastic loops in the corners to keep the sheet in place.

I have no experience with polyurethane, but I do know that vinyl will eventually get stiff, less flexible, and prone to cracking as it ages. Your plastic pants might be a bit thicker than your mattress cover -- maybe that's why they've lasted longer. I vote for switching to PE, as it's a good deal more durable than vinyl, as Angela pointed out. As for your current mattress pad, I don't think there's much you can do to restore it.

Actually, since I get a bit of a kick out of the thick PVC, I got my mattress cover in the heavy gauge .07mm vinyl. But, reading what you've both said, I suspect it has more to do with the fact that I sleep on the same bed every night, and I don't wear plastic pants very often, and it's generally a different pair each time (I've got damn near every color in the rainbow, plus prints ). So while my body heat (and trust me, I'm hawt! ) hasn't affected the pants, I suspect that the proximity of me to my bed (a bedsheet, vice a thick flannel diaper between us) and the frequency of use (every night) means that my body heat has affected the mattress cover. Angela, your mattress cover sounds wonderful and all, I still get a rise from the plasticky feeling under the sheet. It reminds me of when I was 12-13, and still wetting the bed. A useful tool for regression.

---------- Post added 27-10-2010 at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was 21-10-2010 at 08:29 PM ----------

Well, I got my polyurethane mattress cover today. I must say, I'm quite happy with it so far, it's much less noticeable on the bed, and seems a hell of a lot more durable. I'm looking forward to using it, I'll report back in a few days on my thoughts.