Thread: Impounded car, expired tags

Exclamation Impounded car, expired tags

My car's been impounded for being parked on a side street with an expired tag. I need to do this quickly to avoid compounded impound fees. The car was licensed and registered in PA. I have a valid PA driver's license, valid insurance card, and an expired US Passport.

To renew my registration in NJ I need a NJ driver's license. To obtain a NJ driver's license I need a valid passport (this will take 3-6 weeks to apply for) and a valid driver's license (check). Current path: 3-6 weeks.

To renew my registration in PA I only need my title number, license plate number, and insurance information. I have lived in NJ for over 60 days already and I will need to obtain a NJ license soon. More importantly, I forgot exactly what the officer told me I needed to redeem my car, and I cannot find this information from their website; the office is also closed so I cannot call them. Will they allow me to redeem my car if I renew my registration in PA, despite the fact I am living in NJ and do not have a NJ license yet?

no idea. I would assume they can't make you wait if you have the title to the vehicle.

Any particular reason why you can't call the office tomorrow morning to get a definite answer?

It strikes me that if your ID is all still valid, that you ought to be fine registering the car in PA, even if you need to register it in NJ at a later date. A college friend of mine has a Texas-registered car despite being an out-of-state resident with a driver's license from his home state; so far as I know, it's perfectly legal to have cars registered in states other than the one you currently live in - you just have to follow that state's laws for things like in-state annual inspections.

Quote Originally Posted by NutFreeFruitcake View Post
    Any particular reason why you can't call the office tomorrow morning to get a definite answer?

It strikes me that if your ID is all still valid, that you ought to be fine registering the car in PA, even if you need to register it in NJ at a later date. A college friend of mine has a Texas-registered car despite being an out-of-state resident with a driver's license from his home state; so far as I know, it's perfectly legal to have cars registered in states other than the one you currently live in - you just have to follow that state's laws for things like in-state annual inspections.
    Presuming this is wrong for some reason, it seems as though there's a faster path to your driver's licencse, either using your expired passport (if it's not too old) or a birth certificate, which is going to be quicker to obtain. Have a look at their site if you need to and see if there's some combination of factors that can convince the state of NJ that you are who you say you are.

The only reason I'm posting this now is so I can work out several plans before tomorrow morning, when I can get definite information and decide which plan to take. In fact, just a few minutes ago I learned that I don't need a NJ license to renew a vehicle in this state. I will need to obtain one eventually, but it seems I can hold off on that for now.

i would just renew in pa if you can and not let them now you've been in nj for more than 60 days unless thats already recorded somewhere. and if its just as easy to do, register it in nj

Renew in PA if you can; plus if you do that you'll have the added benefit of not having to have a front plate. It's not quite as important to register your car in a state as it is to ensure your driver's license is in the correct state/address.

If you're a US citizen you don't need a passport. You can do it with your birth certificate, your expire PA license, and some proof of NJ residence such as a utility or credit card bill.