Thread: Does anybody have any experience modifying MAM pacifiers with a new nipple?

crazykittensmile

Default Does anybody have any experience modifying MAM pacifiers with a new nipple?

I was just wondering whether anybody has any experience at modifying MAM pacifiers? I ordered a NUK 5 recently, and I have hardly used it - I think part of the reason for this is that I really don't like Nuk's shields. Somebody suggested that I modify it, and gave me instructions on how to separate the nipple from the shield.

I really want to put the NUK 5 nipple into a MAM shield, and yesterday I bit through one of my MAM pacifiers, which is also one of my favourite shields, so I now have a MAM to put the NUK nipple onto. However, I have no idea how to seperate the broken nipple of the MAM pacifier from the shield, and to do so in such a way that I can then put the NUK nipple in and put the shield back together. I'm not even sure if this is possible, but on Pacifiers R Us they offer a NUK made with a MAM shield, so I assume it must be. Whether it is possible for me to do I'm not so sure!

I have tried to prize the button-knob of the MAM pacifier away from the shield using a knife, but that hasn't worked and chipped the edge of it slightly, so I decided not to try any further until I knew what I was doing! I assume the knob is glued on, and that the glue is heat resistant to allow for sterilizing, so is the only way to do it to use two MAM pacifiers and break the shield on one, and knob on the other?

I know it is a long-shot, but if anybody can give me any advice as to how I might be able to change the nipples (or let me know that it won't be possible without special tools, which i almost certainly won't have) then that would be great!

Thank you

I can say for a fact that it is 100% possible without special tools. I've done it myself. As long as you are using one like the one pictured in your avatar, brute force should get the button off. No glue involved.

Being that you have already tried force, what you should do is, looking at the side of the dummy that goes in your mouth, you should be able to see an elliptical thing that the nipple goes around. Bend it inward with your butter knife. Once you've done that, the only way to get it off is with force. Worst case you could get a pair of multigrips, which are a fairly common tool, and pull it off with those. Although that will likely mark the button. But at least it would give you a MAM 5

crazykittensmile

Quote Originally Posted by MyLastWords View Post
    I can say for a fact that it is 100% possible without special tools. I've done it myself. As long as you are using one like the one pictured in your avatar, brute force should get the button off. No glue involved.

Being that you have already tried force, what you should do is, looking at the side of the dummy that goes in your mouth, you should be able to see an elliptical thing that the nipple goes around. Bend it inward with your butter knife. Once you've done that, the only way to get it off is with force. Worst case you could get a pair of multigrips, which are a fairly common tool, and pull it off with those. Although that will likely mark the button. But at least it would give you a MAM 5
    Thank you for your advice! Unfortunately I am ridiculously weak and at the moment I don't seem to be having much luck, but I shall certainly keep trying in the hope that I will loosen it and eventually get it off. Thanks