Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: collar?

Default collar?

im looking to get a collar but would want to know how they feel to wear
    to you guys who wear collars i know there had been a lot of these but none that i fund have covered actually wearing on and the feel
    so;
    what do they feel like to wear
    and what is the best type of collar to get

Quote Originally Posted by boltpup View Post
    what do they feel like to wear
    ... Like a ring of leather/nylon wrapped around your neck? If you keep it loose enough it'll generally be suitably comfortable, but I have to adjust mine semi-frequently as it tends to spin round my neck, taking the tag away from the centre of the front of my neck where it belongs. I also find that it still sometimes presses on my throat slightly, but it's rarely an actual problem.

That said, my boyfriend has a collar made of the same materials as mine (leather and faux fur), and his irritates his neck if worn for extended periods while I can wear mine all day, every day, and not suffer any irritation at all, so that's definitely something to bear in mind: different skin will react differently.

Quote Originally Posted by boltpup View Post
    and what is the best type of collar to get
    We usually recommend that you start with a cheap collar from a generic pet store before you spend any significant money getting a custom collar from, e.g., Collar Factory, so that you can determine if you even like wearing them before you waste money on something that you end up disliking. That didn't stop me spending 35 on a custom collar straight-off, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    ... Like a ring of leather/nylon wrapped around your neck? If you keep it loose enough it'll generally be suitably comfortable, but I have to adjust mine semi-frequently as it tends to spin round my neck, taking the tag away from the centre of the front of my neck where it belongs. I also find that it still sometimes presses on my throat slightly, but it's rarely an actual problem.

That said, my boyfriend has a collar made of the same materials as mine (leather and faux fur), and his irritates his neck if worn for extended periods while I can wear mine all day, every day, and not suffer any irritation at all, so that's definitely something to bear in mind: different skin will react differently.

We usually recommend that you start with a cheap collar from a generic pet store before you spend any significant money getting a custom collar from, e.g., Collar Factory, so that you can determine if you even like wearing them before you waste money on something that you end up disliking. That didn't stop me spending 35 on a custom collar straight-off, though...
    thanks i will keep that in mind and will get one from s pet store and if i like it i will get on from the collarfactory ,:P

Yeah, I had used one from a pet store; itchy warm and scratchy. The same went for raw leather.

I ordered a collar a while back from CollarFactory; amazing quality, customizeable, exactly as I wanted. and the inside which was lambskin; is very comfortable! I would reccomend them to anyone, but shipping is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by LobieVulpyn View Post
    Yeah, I had used one from a pet store; itchy warm and scratchy. The same went for raw leather.

I ordered a collar a while back from CollarFactory; amazing quality, customizeable, exactly as I wanted. and the inside which was lambskin; is very comfortable! I would reccomend them to anyone, but shipping is expensive.
    thanks i will start with one form a pet store and i do like the collars from collarfactory

I hope you enjoy it, Living in a small town is terrible though, I couldn't possibly wear the collar out and about; people just aren't acustom to the weird and strange around here =(

aww that must suck i dont think i would wear it out just yet though got to build up confidence first

Well, if you're gonna get a collar, get a cheap one first to see how you like it. I know this has probably already been said, but I can't advocate it enough. As for how they feel? Depends on the collar. Once you break it in, you really don't notice anything. But when you're first starting out, they tend to be itchy or otherwise irritating. Usually, I keep mine loose enough to get a couple fingers in between my collar and neck, and that's loose enough for me. That way, they tend not to move around on me all that much. I tend to favor a nylon collar, but that's just 'cause the leather one I got was not that great.

Now, if you're gonna wear, go ahead and wear it out. Unless you live in an absolutely tiny town, you're really not going to see that much... er... Prejudice? Sure. We'll go with that. You just aren't. Most people, in my experience don't give a damn. And those that do generally won't give you much more than a second glance, or the stink-eye, if you REALLY freak them out. Sometimes people will ask you why you're wearing it, and then... Well... That's when you get to mess with their heads. As long as you project an aura of confidence, then nobody's really gonna bug you about it. The "act like it's the most normal thing in the world" trick will get you through just about anything. Hell, I've worn collars around family friends and they didn't mention a thing about it. Even the really conservative old folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mukirr View Post
    Well, if you're gonna get a collar, get a cheap one first to see how you like it. I know this has probably already been said, but I can't advocate it enough. As for how they feel? Depends on the collar. Once you break it in, you really don't notice anything. But when you're first starting out, they tend to be itchy or otherwise irritating. Usually, I keep mine loose enough to get a couple fingers in between my collar and neck, and that's loose enough for me. That way, they tend not to move around on me all that much. I tend to favor a nylon collar, but that's just 'cause the leather one I got was not that great.

Now, if you're gonna wear, go ahead and wear it out. Unless you live in an absolutely tiny town, you're really not going to see that much... er... Prejudice? Sure. We'll go with that. You just aren't. Most people, in my experience don't give a damn. And those that do generally won't give you much more than a second glance, or the stink-eye, if you REALLY freak them out. Sometimes people will ask you why you're wearing it, and then... Well... That's when you get to mess with their heads. As long as you project an aura of confidence, then nobody's really gonna bug you about it. The "act like it's the most normal thing in the world" trick will get you through just about anything. Hell, I've worn collars around family friends and they didn't mention a thing about it. Even the really conservative old folks.
    ok, thanks i live in a big town where like no one knows me and the towns close to mine or fairly big, i will definatly go pick one up i want a brown one with a bolt tag

Quote Originally Posted by Mukirr View Post
    Now, if you're gonna wear, go ahead and wear it out. Unless you live in an absolutely tiny town, you're really not going to see that much... er... Prejudice? Sure. We'll go with that. You just aren't. Most people, in my experience don't give a damn.
    This, pretty much. I generally wear mine everywhere (exceptions being trips to see my doctor, and when I was dealing with various letting agents while looking for a house to rent), and the only people who've ever made any comment have been my family (specifically my 8-14 year old cousins). My collar is fairly reserved, however, being plain black with a black tag. The inner lining is purple, but not much of that shows when it's being worn.

As for buying tags, I've been more than happy with this place: Dog Tags, Pet & Military Tags, Cat Collars, Dog Collars and Leads