Thread: Artistic advice needed

Default Artistic advice needed

I have this diptych due in a week and a half, slightly less than that now, and My art teacher just had me flip my first drawing over and start again, after it took me 3 days just to get the initial gesture right... now, I have to start from scratch, reposition the objects, and start all over again, and I am completely stressed out over it. I can't change objects to a simpler one; it's the only one that meets the requirements of the project, and only by the grace of GOD did I draw it the first time, almost in full color, and this is stressing me to no end.

It's only been 3 hours since this thing even started, I've already tripped over myself twice, everything I do has been done in a way where I end up messing it up, I have a massive migraine headache, and I have no idea HOW I will even finish the FIRST drawing, let alone the second within the allotted time... even if I'm working with chalk pastilles...

I need some advice from you artist-types out there... I WOULD try one of those artist forums, but, last time I posted a help thread there, I got told to GTFO by numerous people... so I figured that here is a good a place to ask as any...

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

OK... Now I'm thinking a little more rationally, I've calmed down quite a bit, but I still am worried about my project...
    Last edited by Dann; 15-Oct-2010 at 00:18.

What exactly are you drawing a diptych of? Person? Animal? Still life? Either way, the basics are the same. Sketch, block in the basic colours, add details, and spray with fixative.

I'm an artist, and over the years, I've learned to churn out small paintings and drawings in a day or less if I was in a rut for money or if I had procrastinated too long in art class. (Another thing; is this high school art class? They usually base your work on effort and completeness, not on quality.) Just work through it and you'll get it done like any other assignment. I'd like to see a picture of it so far, though, so I can be of assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Shukkume View Post
    What exactly are you drawing a diptych of? Person? Animal? Still life? Either way, the basics are the same. Sketch, block in the basic colours, add details, and spray with fixative.

I'm an artist, and over the years, I've learned to churn out small paintings and drawings in a day or less if I was in a rut for money or if I had procrastinated too long in art class. (Another thing; is this high school art class? They usually base your work on effort and completeness, not on quality.) Just work through it and you'll get it done like any other assignment. I'd like to see a picture of it so far, though, so I can be of assistance.
    I'll try to get a picture of some sort in... the assignment was to get an object to draw, with color (our first color drawing, and yes, in an advanced drawing course in HS) and the second was the same object, but drawn in an abstract style, as apposed to the realism concept that we've been doing. The problem is that my object curves all over the place, and, to make things worse, I was required to add a plastic flower, to keep things from being too bland, I guess.

My problem is with the initial gesture... what can you suggest? The curves keep getting out of proportion... I'm having no trouble keeping it symmetrical.

Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post
    I'll try to get a picture of some sort in... the assignment was to get an object to draw, with color (our first color drawing, and yes, in an advanced drawing course in HS) and the second was the same object, but drawn in an abstract style, as apposed to the realism concept that we've been doing. The problem is that my object curves all over the place, and, to make things worse, I was required to add a plastic flower, to keep things from being too bland, I guess.

My problem is with the initial gesture... what can you suggest? The curves keep getting out of proportion... I'm having no trouble keeping it symmetrical.
    Measuring Like An Artist Drawing Lesson Spatial relationships always help when you're drawing anything. Keep in mind where one thing is in relation to another, and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Shukkume View Post
    Measuring Like An Artist Drawing Lesson Spatial relationships always help when you're drawing anything. Keep in mind where one thing is in relation to another, and you'll be fine.
    I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I can't take it the drawing of the classroom, unless we're close to the end of the time limit, and we need to work more.

---------- Post added 13-10-2010 at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was 12-10-2010 at 08:55 PM ----------

ALRIGHTY THEN

I have a few questions for the fellow artist out there... about color and such.

I'm drawing this lamp, that's this very candy green color, almost blue-green, but not exactly... along with this white flower, that is mostly red on the petals. I'm making my ground surface a deep red-violet, a bit more violet than burgundy, and I need opinions on what I should do about the background color... because the red-violet HAS to be that way... not my fault on that.