Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: America, Politics, and the SS?

Default America, Politics, and the SS?

I definitely get the feeling that most of the membership here has at least a progressive bent, and most of us think that the Tea Partiers are no better than Nazis. But it still gives me pause that anyone in this day and age would actually think that this is an acceptable activity.

OH-09: It's over

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm still a huge fan of the First Amendment, and would never tell someone they can't believe something (shouldn't is another story entirely). But if you are gonna run for office, you should probably make sure that you aren't gonna get caught doing something 97% of the electorate would disapprove of.

So, what crazy shit have your candidates gotten caught doing (no one from Delaware can respond... it's too easy )

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

Goddamn, this guy just gets better and better.

OH-09: Iott threatened son’s college roommates with a“tenant from Third World country that celebrates stealing and small animal sacrifices” to get out of a lease

Butterfly Mage

Well... Baltimore doesn't have as many shananigans as other states. Bob Erlich is a pretty centrist Republican candidate for Governor who isn't in bed with the Tea Party. We did get rid of a kleptocratic mayor (Shelia "Steal-a" Dixon) who ripped off some charity for personal use. She refused to apologize even after she was forced to resign as a result of being convicted of petty theft.

I think the Media might be making a mountain out of a molehill on this. There are hundreds of World War II reenactor units in the US. You have to have bad guys to fight, or else it would be a really boring reenactment. People in Soviet units don't condone raping and pillaging their way through eastern europe and Germany. Most Confederate civil war reenactors aren't white supremacists desiring a return to the prewar aristocratic lifestyle. I don't think this is that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    I think the Media might be making a mountain out of a molehill on this. There are hundreds of World War II reenactor units in the US. You have to have bad guys to fight, or else it would be a really boring reenactment. People in Soviet units don't condone raping and pillaging their way through eastern europe and Germany. Most Confederate civil war reenactors aren't white supremacists desiring a return to the prewar aristocratic lifestyle. I don't think this is that big of a deal.
    You are kinda going off topic with this, but I'll bite. If Rich Iott really wanted to do WWII war reenactments, why not play as a Wehrmacht unit? Furthermore, the man has publicly stated that he is trying to honor the military accomplishments of Germany during the war. Something the Germans would rather not do.

And, you are partially correct, this isn't a big deal. Except for the fact that the man is running for Congress, and can't even understand why Eric Cantor (R-VA), a Jew, would take exception.

Butterfly Mage

Spark: I agree with you on that one. It's not like all Civil War re-enactors want the return of slavery either.

The "Nazi" charge at the Tea Party usually stems from the fact that the style of government they seek does bear a striking resemblance to that of Nazi Germany. The Tea Party wants a government that will persecute "undesirables" who fail to comply with social "norms". They hate gays, blacks, foreigners, and Muslims. They think everyone on disability is a "welfare bum". They think that a person's worth begins and ends with their service to a corporation. They think that a corportion has no obligation to its employees, only to its shareholders.

The Tea Party supports a "small" government when it comes to deregulation of banking, businesses, and the elimination of the social safety net. They seem to want a fairly powerful and invasive government when it comes to clamping down in religious freedom for non-Christians, freedom of non-harmful sexual expression (homosexuality, masturbation, sex between unmarried heterosexuals, etc), and they certainly want the government involved if a woman wants an abortion for any reason (even for rape/incest).

I've been on a lot of the political bogs. The Tea Party really seems to believe that George W. Bush did nothing wrong and that Obama has done only wrong. They really believe that the American worker needs to have his/her wages cut to match India and China. They don't believe that health care needs to be affordable for everyone. They don't believe that any human being has any moral obligation to any other human being.

So, between the "anything goes" capitalism, the rabid nationalism, the scapegoating and fear mongering, and the campaigning-by-sloganeering, the Tea Party and the Nazi Party do have at least structural similarities. It doesn't help that the GOP now put the incarceration of all homosexuals as one of their party platform goals.

The real threat isn't that someone dresses like a Nazi. The real threat is that a lot of Tea Party candidates *think* like Nazis.

EEEEEP! It wasn't my intention to start a discussion on the merits of the tea party. I was just looking for amusing stories about politicians. I can't help it if all the Tea Partiers are nuts. (c'mon, O'Donnell, Angle and Paul, seriously, you can't tell me those three aren't loony tunes?)

Butterfly Mage, this is the second time I've seen you attribute attitudes to the tea party. This time, the items are pretty specific, so I'm curious as to your sources:

You say the Tea Party
    "hates gays, blacks, foreigners, and Muslims"
    Thinks everyone on disability is a "welfare bum"
    Wants to clamp down on (non-Christian) religious freedom
    Wants (presumably federal) government involvement in "non-harmful sexual activity" and abortion
    Wants american workers to have their wages cut to third-world levels
    Doesnt think health care should be affordable to everyone
    Has pressured the GOP to incorporate incarceration of all homosexuals as a party plank

and several others.

So I'd like to see citations on those, because I follow politics pretty closely too, and I haven't seen any of those things.

Yes, Tea Partiers do think that Bush did a lot right, mostly with regard to prosecuting the so-called War on Terror, though for the record they do hold that prescription drug bill and his very loose stance on immigration, to name a couple issues, against him. And yes, they do think Obama has done nothing but damage since his inauguration, but they're hardly alone in that; a significant number of liberal voices now think the same thing.
    So far as I've seen, Tea Partiers do have a fair amount of animosity against Muslims, mostly because the world over there are radical Muslims committing outrages, and not being held accountable by non-Muslim governments or so-called "moderate" Muslims. Tea Partiers are not anti-Black, and there are in fact many blacks in the Tea Party; so far as they are against "foreigners" it's in the context of *illegal* immigrants. They don't have a problem with the immigration per se, just the amount of it that is illegal (and the Federal government's failure to enforce the laws it has on the books to prevent it). They do dislike homosexuality, due to their perception that homosexuals have become a "protected group" and are taking advantage of that to push an agenda.

Tea Partiers do not think everyone on disability is a "welfare bum", though disability is a heavily-abused benefit. They do believe that welfare is too easy to get, and allows too many to remain on welfare when they could be returning to work.

Tea Partiers seem to be strong supporters of the 1st Amendment, so I don't see where they could be against religious freedoms of any kind; the only religious issue they have that I'm aware of is the insistence on opposing the proposed mosque near the former site of the World Trade Center towers. Their position being that it is akin to wanting to build a shrine to Hitler near Sobibor or Auschwitz. Not that the mosque shouldn't be built, but they do think there are probably more appropriate places it could be built.

Tea Partiers think that the Federal Government is already too involved in citizens' affairs, so they want to remove responsibility for such things from the Federal Government and pass it back to the states.

Tea Partiers want a return to the strong wage market of the 90s and early 2000s. No idea where you got the idea they want wage cuts

Tea Partiers want health care returned to pre-mandated insurance levels. Price controls drive UP the cost. If the government weren't involved in health care, everyone would be able to afford it. Besides, hospitals are required to provide treatment even if you can't pay; as long as this isn't abused, then hospitals have no problem staying in business.

Tea Partiers want less involvement by government in everything; if there really were a law on the books to incarcerate homosexuals, many tea partiers would worry that a Democrat administration would expand that to people who want lower taxes, or own guns, or protest the government.

So, where, exactly, did you get those facts of yours?

Wow...I support the tea party but I'm not getting into this argument....It's impossible to argue with closed minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cush View Post
    Butterfly Mage, this is the second time I've seen you attribute attitudes to the tea party. This time, the items are pretty specific, so I'm curious as to your sources:
    So, where, exactly, did you get those facts of yours?

You've asked ButterflyMage to cite sources. Where are yours?

Butterfly Mage

Cush: Just go to the Newsvine blogs every time a political story gets listed. You will see what self-identified Tea Party members say about their own cause.

Here's a sampling of the many, MANY news stories about tea Party leaders:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...me-647303.html
    Founder says "So many spics. Where's my gun?!"

http://imagine2050.newcomm.org/2010/...cist-comments/
    Founder says he is allied with white nationalists and that people who vote for Obama lack the ability to read.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_507116.html
    Tea Party members shout "faggot" at Barny Frank and call for "the n---er" to be removed from the Presidency.

http://www.theroot.com/buzz/carl-pal...phobic-remarks
    Tea Party candidate calls gays "disfunctional", "unnatural" and "unacceptable".

http://www.beyondchron.org/articles/...cked_8489.html
    Founder approves of murder of Matt Sheppard, thinks additional gay murders is good.

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2010/05...is_mad_ab.html
    Tea Party leader calls Islam's deity "a Monkey God".

http://thedemocraticdaily.com/2010/1...-minimum-wage/
    Tea Party wants to scrap minimum wage protections

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_1...86-503544.html
    Tea Party members mock the disabled

http://minnesotaindependent.com/4136...st-gods-design
    Tea Party states that affordable health care is "Against God's Design"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_619601.html
    Directly advocating the imprisonment of homosexuals.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_519970.html
    Founder advocates ending Social Security.
    Last edited by Butterfly Mage; 12-Oct-2010 at 18:14. Reason: Add links.