Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of us are there?

Default How many of us are there?

So I know this has been discussed in the past, and usually the same things result each time, but I actually thought about giving this a spin I'm not aware we've used before to look at it. In short, what I'm asking is how many people in the greater diaper community there are?

First, my methods. I decided to run google searches for a number of different keywords for various sexual kinks, and record how many hits each one got me. Be warned: I searched for some pretty sexually explicit things outside of what's the usual territory here.

So here's what I came up with. Each pair represents the key word exactly as I searched, and the number is google's estimation of how many hits were returned.

The internet is basically a free market system. So I'm going to say that the number of hits on each keyword(s) is a measuring stick for how much interest there is in a given subject: people who want information, people who want sexually arousing material, and any interest otherwise.

I'll add a few caveats. First, the search for incest probably generated a number of false positive hits- I'm sure many people are searching it as the result of abusive incestuous relationships along with people searching for it for sexual arousal or as a result of being involved in a positive incestuous relationship. I also ran searches for incest with various family positions (mommy, daddy, daughter, etc), each of which cut down the number of hits by about 1/2 to 2/3.

Next, I had two keyword sets involving the word girl: "girl squirt" and "girl piss". The former was because I was sure the word "squirt" would have too many false positives and I modified it with girl as squirting, in sexual terms, refers pretty exclusively to female ejaculation (which got significantly less hits). The latter was to gauge the general urolagnia community as, essentially, a community which overlaps with us. Furthermore, most people who derive sexual gratification from urination are specific to women as the object of desire, not men.

The terms sex, lightbulb fetish and balloon fetish were there to give scale to the numbers. I assumed that the number for sex gives scale to most if not all people on the internet looking for sexual material. On the other hand, lightbulb and balloon fetishes are ones that while documented are known to be exceedingly uncommon.

Last, let's take a look at the four *BDL-themed searches I ran. I'm including "girl piss" in that. There's overlap between the *BDL community and the urolagnia community enough, IMO, to lump it in. Adult Baby returned waaaay more hits than did the other three searches. My first inclination was to chalk this up to false positives- people looking up information on having kids, child rearing, etc. Yet when I clicked through and scanned pages of the search, just about everything there was *BDL related, so that doesn't seem to be the case. More on that later, though.

Now let's look at what these numbers mean. I'm not so much interested in what these numbers mean so much as I am their size relation to one another. If there are X webpages extant or classified by google or whatever on topic A, then that corresponds to a certain level of public interest in topic A. If there are the same number of whatever it is that exist for topic B, then there's probably the same level of public interest in topic B. That's the goal of this. In any case, I'm going to simplify the process by referring to the numbers as hits by google.

That all said, let's start!

So google returned about 600M hits for sex. That's our baseline for public interest in sex. When we go to topics that are more specific but still have a very mainstream appeal, oral sex, anal sex, cum, the number markedly drops. I note that BDSM and bondage returned similar numbers. While they're still considered rather kinky, I also think they're relatively mainstream. Not many people bat an eyelash at a partner who wants to be spanked or restrained or whatever.

Where this starts to get interesting is where I put in the three bestiality searches. I mentioned dogs and horses specifically as these are the animals most often involved in bestiality. I admit being a bit amazed by the number of hits, I didn't expect so many. The reason I find these interesting is that Alfred Kinsey actually provided in his landmark studies numbers of men and women whom reported sexual contact with animals which was more than incidental: 8% of men, 3% of women, around 5-6% of the public overall. That may not seem like a lot, but consider that it's 1 in 20. Think back to a class in high school. It's likely that about one person in each of your classes was or has since been having sexual relations with an animal. And if anything, those numbers are under reported- something I actually consider rather likely. And what do you know, the average number of hits for the three bestiality searches I ran comes out to be roughly the same percentage of the number of hits returned for "sex." So it looks like my system has some real numbers backing it up.

Now for the good stuff. Infantilism and diaper sex both turned back similar numbers. Girl piss turned back more, I'm presuming because it includes a number of people from our community plus a number of people outside our community as well. As for Adult Baby, I'm not sure how to consider the sheer discordance in hits returned when I failed to find a single false positive in a brief scan. In any case, I think that we can take it as a sign that the numbers returned by the three other searches are either correct, or too low. But they certainly aren't too high. This is where it gets a little crazy. If the numbers I got from bestiality are used for comparison, it seems that the overall population of people sharing in some sort of elimination-centered interest- sexual gratification from pee or poop, interest in diapers (sexual or otherwise), adult babies- consist of somewhere between 1 in 50 to 1 in 40. That's not really high. But really, that's a heck of a lot higher than I ever imagined it might be.

Last, take a look at my queries for lightbulb fetish and balloon fetish. Both of those clocked in at exceedingly low numbers, low enough that they might even be a bit fuzzy. But let's examine them on a relative scale. Interest in diapers (and other related) items I detailed seems to be around 25 to 50 times higher than them. That's about where it should be.

So this is rough, but honestly, it strikes me as a fairly reasonable assumption. Thoughts?

so you ran a couple searches and counted each hit as a sign of one persons interest.....in a given activity.....are u sure there wasnt any overlap.....im sure some searches turned up a specific site with many people and some just maybe an article by a specific person.......so 1 and 50 what do u think that works out to as a respresentive number of people in the abdl/ageplay/little community

I just typed up a long answer to your question, and then hit the effing "Reply to Thread" button which made me lose it. Short version is that my guesstimate is around 10 million people in North America (530 million overall population). That's not a hard and fast number. That means if I had to guess we're 1 million, 10 million, or 25 million, I'm going to guess 10 million without qualms.

Its an interesting quick and dirty academic exercise for sure. Sort of napkin math for polling an internet fetish haha. Overall your figures that ~1% of the population are AB/DL does not sound unrealistic.

It would be interesting if there are any published studies out there on this sort of behavior. From reading posts made by AngelaBauer though there does not appear to have been many studies (if any at all) regarding this particular fetish. Certainly someone, someday will delve into the psychological process behind the desire to wear diapers and / or act like a baby. And further as more and more types of fetishes and sexual lifestyles become more widely accepted so to will AB/DL, thus making studies and polling more accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by NightFox View Post
    I just typed up a long answer to your question, and then hit the effing "Reply to Thread" button which made me lose it. Short version is that my guesstimate is around 10 million people in North America (530 million overall population). That's not a hard and fast number. That means if I had to guess we're 1 million, 10 million, or 25 million, I'm going to guess 10 million without qualms.
    mo worries i do that all the time.....its hard to fathom that there is that many abdl/little/ageplayers in the usa but maybe thats because of how scattered we are and divided among all the sites with a good portion not even online at all....

---------- Post added at 01:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by paddedpants4me View Post
    Its an interesting quick and dirty academic exercise for sure. Sort of napkin math for polling an internet fetish haha. Overall your figures that ~1% of the population are AB/DL does not sound unrealistic.

It would be interesting if there are any published studies out there on this sort of behavior. From reading posts made by AngelaBauer though there does not appear to have been many studies (if any at all) regarding this particular fetish. Certainly someone, someday will delve into the psychological process behind the desire to wear diapers and / or act like a baby. And further as more and more types of fetishes and sexual lifestyles become more widely accepted so to will AB/DL, thus making studies and polling more accurate.
    sigmund freud and his theories on sexual development i think holds some promise into understanding some of why we are the way that we are......beyond that it is true that we are grossly misunderstood partly because we are so understandably secretive...well im not but most of us are....but anything fringe seems to be left alone by the psychiatry community....

I know it's your opinion but 1/53 seems rather high People who sell adult diapers would be making a fortune if it was that many people. Personally I'd say it's about 500,000-1,000,000 in North America.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I know it's your opinion but 1/53 seems rather high People who sell adult diapers would be making a fortune if it was that many people. Personally I'd say it's about 500,000-1,000,000 in North America.
    Actually, current estimates for incontinent adults are somewhere around 25 million in the US alone. An extra 10 million or so AB/DLs thrown into the mix is definitely extra profit, but they aren't hurting for customers as it is. And as a customer base AB/DLs are quite finicky. We seek out babyish designs, we consume far fewer diapers per given period than an incontinent adult, and on top of that for many this is a luxury item that is only purchased semi-often.

But we are a market to be tapped and that is why you are seeing companies like Bambino and ABUniverse offering their own brands of diapers aimed specifically at our market. Guaranteed if they weren't making money they would not keep producing or coming out with new designs.

Its the slow march of progress in our community. And for that we all can reap the benefits

Huxley

Google Trends offers much better data than simply relying on the number of hits.

For comparison to something we run neck and neck with in terms of search volume :
    Google Trends Graph 1

Now to put things into perspective :
    Google Trends Graph 2

crazykittensmile

Quote Originally Posted by DreamingSora View Post
    Google Trends offers much better data than simply relying on the number of hits.

For comparison to something we run neck and neck with in terms of search volume :
    Google Trends Graph 1

Now to put things into perspective :
    Google Trends Graph 2
    Ooh! If you sort by the term 'adult baby' on the second page you linked to it is most popular in the United Kingdom. I wonder what happened to make brits more interested in ABs than anywhere else! It also explains why there are so many of us, compared to the size of the UK, on Adisc.

On the first page you linked to I also see that if you sort for 'Adult baby' again it is most searched for in the UK, but if you search for 'diaper lover' the place it is searched for the least is the UK. Does that mean that people in the Uk are more likely to be ABs than diaper lovers? (or it could just be because we call diapers nappies i guess)

how many people in the greater diaper community there are?