Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wierd Chest Pain

Default Wierd Chest Pain

I'm having some weird chest pain. It's like a burning pressure. My throat also tingles when ever i breath or drink. My chest feel like someone hit my with a sledgehammer when I cough. Any one know what i should do? I told my parents and they gave me a pain killer. Should I go see a doctor?

Dwhite

Well chances are if you say "Should I go see a doctor?." You should. But if you are stubborn and have a suck it up and deal with it attitude with your health like i do, wait untill it interfears with your life then go; but it isnt the worlds smartest choice. And get off the pain killers, they do nothing to help your health at all, they just mask the problem.

Y'know, I had the same thing going on about a week ago, but it finally passed. I'll be visiting a doctor soon, which is the best advice I can give you (and as you see, it'll be what most recommend). Keep taking the painkillers if they work and get yourself to a doctor asap.

If you end up visiting a doctor make sure they check you for acid reflux. I used to have this pretty badly. Eventually ended up in the ER with my throat so constricted that I couldnt swallow my own saliva. Doctors got me on Prilosec daily to control acid levels and life has been much better since.

Awesome I'll get to a doctor asap. My parents are kinda stressed right now, so I don't know when I will be able to go, but I will when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by paddedpants4me View Post
    If you end up visiting a doctor make sure they check you for acid reflux. I used to have this pretty badly. Eventually ended up in the ER with my throat so constricted that I couldnt swallow my own saliva. Doctors got me on Prilosec daily to control acid levels and life has been much better since.
    This was exactly what I was thinking, so you have two votes. I had a bleeding ulcer in '85 which technically killed me. I went through the tunnel of light and saw my parents. After a week in intensive care and two endoscopes, I am now on Prylosec. I also drink almost no alcohol as that bothers me the most. You should see a doctor because the stomach acid which may be coming up from your stomach can do serious damage to your esophagus.

OK, about 2 yrs ago, I started having chest pains, pressure on my chest, and a stabbing pain that came through my back.... It would come and go, but one day it got so bad that I had pain going down both arms, I had the EMT's number pulled up in my phone, ready to hit send.

I ended up getting an Omprezole capsule from a co-worker, it stopped it within 15 minutes. I went to the Dr. the next mornig, and he did not pussy-foot around, took an EKG in office (or as he calls it, a tracing of my heart), chest x-ray, lab work, then scheduled me for a CAT scan with contrast. Now I should preface this with my medical history includes a coarctation of the aorta, which was corrected when I was 12 years old back in 1996.. Chest pains are not something that is taken lightly.

Now I know that if my aorta were to split apart, I would not need to worry about anything..... cause frankly unless i was already in a tramua unit, I would not have much hope.

OK, now I go through al these tests, and frankly I WAS SCARED!!!... What if I had to go into the hospital, etc... Now after having all these tests, I wait and wait.... finally I called the Dr, and he was like "you got acid reflux, here's some nexium" It did help, but I have moved back to the Omeprezole (previcid), as even with insurance it was about 60 a month.

Oh, before I forget

GO TO THE DOCTOR!!!! It will be much easier to go now, then to wait and let it get worse, or possibly deadly.

My parents told me to go to bed and see if it gets better in the morning. They also told me that is it gets worse to go wake them up immediately. It may not be the right thing to do, but I'll see the doctor tomorrow if the pain continues.

Any time your having chest pain, unless you can be sure you know the cause of it, you should go to the ER!!! It could be so many different things, a simple list of your symptoms wont tell anyone here exactly what is going on. At least, go to the ER, they will do a quick and easy chest x-ray or echocardiogram (ultra sound) to look at your heart to make sure nothing major is wrong. There are many problems were MINUTES count!!! so if you wait overnight, something that could have been avoided could turn into life or death in a matter of seconds!
    Not trying to scare you, just saying when you have chest pain that you dont know the cause of, you should go to the ER right away, and not put it on hold. When you go to the ER, they wont even make you wait any, they will take you right on back and do the tests! It could be anything from a infection, to asthma, pneumonia, aortic dissection, etc, or one of a hundred different serious conditions. Even if you think it is just acid reflux, if you feel iritation while breathing, you could have aspirated stomach acid, that causes a very serious type of pneumonia. You are feeling the same one second, then the next you cant breath...
    Best to get to the emergency room, cheast pain and breathing issues are symptoms you should take serious

Also, be sure to tell them you took a pain med, VERY VERY VERY important so they can avoid a reaction with any meds they give you!