Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow! I'm gonna be a millionaire!

BernardFx

Default Wow! I'm gonna be a millionaire!

I just need to enter some personal info, and I'll be on my way to beeing rich! What great samaritans are these people.

I now laugh at these junk e-mails. Just another disadvantage of having a 4 letter e-mail address.

What other scams do you people know?

Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    I have a old AOL e-mail address that I have had since back in the dial-up days (before there was such thing as high speed). Anyway, it gets at least 20-30 of those type of e-mails every day. It usually gets over a hundred spam e-mails every day in my spam folder. You can usually spot those e-mails so easy by the "Dear Sir / Madam", seriously, do the people in Nigeria seriously think we talk that way in the US? They probably think all the women wear fur coats and all the men drive rolls royces on our way for tea, or a trip to the opera. Seriously, I have NEVER head anyone use the word "Madam", other in old movies.
    Probably because they aren't trying to pass themselves off as American. You said it yourself; they're Nigerian. They're just being polite because no one would follow up if they opened with, "Yo dawg!!"

Dear Sir/Madam is the formal way of addressing people in writing. Remember these scams are aimed at wealthy older people who can afford to pay, and will not realise it's a scam. These are the sort of people who are regularly addressed as 'Dear Sir/Madam' in writing.

crazykittensmile

Have you ever been on 419 eater.com? The people on the site respond to these such emails and end up scamming the scammers - Welcome to the 419 Eater

I am sad that I'm like the only American that never got a e-mail from that nice Nigerian prince. Freaking bullshit I say. :P

However about every 2 months or so, some people try and trick me into giving them my steam account name/password since I got over 600 dollars of games in it. Even though I only paid 350 at best thanks to sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Dear Sir/Madam is the formal way of addressing people in writing. Remember these scams are aimed at wealthy older people who can afford to pay, and will not realise it's a scam. These are the sort of people who are regularly addressed as 'Dear Sir/Madam' in writing.
    I feel a bit embarrassed now, since I typed out that reply not knowing that was actually the formal/correct way to write it

Congratulations! I was going to be a millionaire too, until my Euro Millions ticket failed to be the winning one!

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisb View Post
    Congratulations! I was going to be a millionaire too, until my Euro Millions ticket failed to be the winning one!
    Charlie F won the euromillions last night... everyone go and ask him how much he won...

Some friends of mine (the stupid ones) got taken for well over $5,000 by a Nigerian scammer. I told them it was a scam as soon as they told me about this "money" they were getting from this "friend" they just met in Nigeria. They guy kept telling them he had 2 suit cases of cash that he was sending them, and needed them to pay "attorney's fees" to get the paperwork done. It was always one excuse after another, and with every excuse he wanted more money to pay for more "paper work" or more "shipping fees" and all this crap. I told them to tell him to use the "money" he had to pay the costs. He told them it was covered in a special dye that needed to be cleaned off with a chemical he didn't have access to. He said some other person had the cleaner, and yada yada... I couldn't believe they fell so deeply in to this load of crap. I guess they count on the gullible, and trusting people. I personally don't trust anyone. I think I can say I actually trust maybe 6 people in this world; four are family and two are friends. Everyone else is watched like a hawk.

I've never once got an email like that.
    Maybe my email address is too obscure...

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisb View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Talula View Post
    Charlie F won the euromillions last night... everyone go and ask him how much he won...
    Teehee, I was reminded of Euromillions when I saw the thread title!
    I'm very proud of my £7.90 win.