Thread: Cars - How to fit a backbox?

Default Cars - How to fit a backbox?

Hey people, so just thought I'd ask here because my car's Back box (exhaust) has a hole in it and has blown. SO i ordered a new (sporty) back box

Firstly, i don't know how to fit them. A friend has told me he can do it, he's got all the tools etc and seems to be pretty simple. But i want to ask if anyone here knows how hard it is?

I mean is it hard to take the old one off, and a new one on? Do you have to wield the new one onto the existing pipe? I don't really know that much.

I have a Peugeot 206 GLX if that helps. It's a 1999 year. Any help and tips would be highly appreciated!

As far as I know, at least in my state, you have to cut off the old exhaust pipe and weld the new one on. Pipe clamps are not permitted, and if they catch you, your car will fail inspection. As England's rules about such things tends to be more strict than in the US, you probably have to weld them on. Not an easy process at all.

Let him fix it. Welding is the way to go and each car has different sized exhaust piping. So either let him do it or let a shop take care of it. It's easy and complicated at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Hey people, so just thought I'd ask here because my car's Back box (exhaust) has a hole in it and has blown. SO i ordered a new (sporty) back box
    It should be easy providing the backbox you have purchased is the correct one for your Pug. Exhaust systems come in several pieces these days so you dont have to do any welding. There should be 2 15mm bolts to undo and it should slide off. The problem occurs when its all rusty and the bolts dont come undone easy. Sometimes its easier to buy 2 new bolts and just hacksaw the others off. Let me know if you have any trouble and use plenty of WD 40 before you try to undo the bolts. You will need to jack the car up too!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote0024 View Post
    It should be easy providing the backbox you have purchased is the correct one for your Pug. Exhaust systems come in several pieces these days so you dont have to do any welding. There should be 2 15mm bolts to undo and it should slide off. The problem occurs when its all rusty and the bolts dont come undone easy. Sometimes its easier to buy 2 new bolts and just hacksaw the others off. Let me know if you have any trouble and use plenty of WD 40 before you try to undo the bolts. You will need to jack the car up too!
    This is exactly what we done lol. Firstly we managed to get the old one off, was easy just unhooking the rubber things that keep it up. The exhaust was so rusty it just pulled off. Leaving a small bit of it clamped onto the mid section of the exhaust. As you said, getting those two bolts off was quite annoying. It was all rusted, the top was spinning making it a nightmare to undo. But we got there eventually!

We had to drive alone without clamping the sections together to buy the bolts. It wasn't too bad driving, but luckily the second store we got to have something that would work. Although they are a little long!

The exhaust is huge, Twinpipe 3" sportex. It smells of burning rubber too :s. Think i need to cut back more of the body work.