Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm having trouble focusing on my college classes.

Default I'm having trouble focusing on my college classes.

Alright here is the back story. My second year (first semester) of college pretty much killed me. I had to quit two classes (Calculus II and Physics for engineers) I quit both classes because I had stress and high blood pressure issues. And I studied for 2 weeks and pretty much failed the test. I just couldn't have handled it anymore. Now the first year of college I had no life, I would essentially go home from school and study till I slept. I had little social contact and well I was studying all the time. Even on weekends. I just couldn't hack it and changed my majors from Comp Engineering to Comp Sciences.

So after that horrible semester I've had trouble caring for school. I'm currently on my first semester of my third year and well I'm on the Deans list and have a 3.63 GPA and stuff so it's not like I'm failing anymore but yeah after I switched I lost my work ethic. I pretty much don't do some homework, I'm uninterested in school, I couldn't care less about some of my classes and I just have no real drive for school work. I do the bare minimum to get by with A's and stuff..... Overall college go easier when I swapped but I awnt my old work ethic back. I can't even focus much. Like I'll chose video games over studying and what not.

My parents and fiancee say I've pretty much burnt myself out and yeah... I mean I could care less I just want to finish. I'll study an entire months of work in 2 days and get a decent grade on the test but I know I can do better but I can't bring myself to freaking care.....

What I'm trying to say is.... Is this normal? Because it seems as tough some of my friends have the same problem we just can't care anymore..... I duno what do you guys think?

Welcome to the human race. I feel the same way about my jobs. I think you have to look at the goal and remember that college is still a small part of your life. So much of it is about discipline. There are many things we have to do in this world that we don't like, but we do them because we want to survive. There is also such a thing as surviving with dignity, which means you work hard now so that you can get a better job.

There is another side, however, and that is you should be doing something that you enjoy. If you are burned out, perhaps it's the courses you are taking. What is your end goal and how will you achieve it? Once achieved, are you going to be happy? Mine was music which I enjoyed, but I chose church music and so I find myself in a very unstable job market. There are so many things to consider when you are in college. You must weigh doing that which you enjoy against that which will give you the happiest future. Once you decide that, then work hard to achieve it because you may be doing it the rest of your life.

I would think it's pretty normal. I lose interest in things fairly quickly. Since I was 15 I never really had a job last over a year, because I got bored with the job and with the people... it takes a lot of effort for me to keep interest. I've had the job I have now for a year and a half... and I still want to quit, but I'm stickin' it out, and trying as much as possible to try to enjoy it.

Same with school... I am a very smart girl, I just lose interest in that, as well. I actually dropped out of highschool for 2 years. However, I worked my arse off for a year after, and was able (through no life, and lots and lots of work) to graduate with good grades, in advanced classes, even if it was a year after I should have. Now with college, I kicked butt first semester of my first year, did mediocre second semester... and I'm now stuck upgrading a few classes this year because I didn't get into the program I wanted, and refuse to settle for anything less.

Make goals for yourself... make a schedule, and force yourself to stick with it. You wanna go out on a Friday? Then you have to study for two hours a night during the week prior. Let others know of your goals, so they can let you know how disappointed they are when you don't achieve it. Treat yourself when you do well, essentially.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Welcome to the human race. I feel the same way about my jobs. I think you have to look at the goal and remember that college is still a small part of your life. So much of it is about discipline. There are many things we have to do in this world that we don't like, but we do them because we want to survive. There is also such a thing as surviving with dignity, which means you work hard now so that you can get a better job.

There is another side, however, and that is you should be doing something that you enjoy. If you are burned out, perhaps it's the courses you are taking. What is your end goal and how will you achieve it? Once achieved, are you going to be happy? Mine was music which I enjoyed, but I chose church music and so I find myself in a very unstable job market. There are so many things to consider when you are in college. You must weigh doing that which you enjoy against that which will give you the happiest future. Once you decide that, then work hard to achieve it because you may be doing it the rest of your life.
    That's the thing I'm loving my classes, I enjoy what I'm learning and it isn't all that hard... I just want to get rid of college ASAP so I can move on with my life. It's just a stepping stone once I"m out I'm not coming back for a loooong time. I'm good at what I do and I have the knowledge and Grades to prove it ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by starshine View Post
    I would think it's pretty normal. I lose interest in things fairly quickly. Since I was 15 I never really had a job last over a year, because I got bored with the job and with the people... it takes a lot of effort for me to keep interest. I've had the job I have now for a year and a half... and I still want to quit, but I'm stickin' it out, and trying as much as possible to try to enjoy it.

Same with school... I am a very smart girl, I just lose interest in that, as well. I actually dropped out of highschool for 2 years. However, I worked my arse off for a year after, and was able (through no life, and lots and lots of work) to graduate with good grades, in advanced classes, even if it was a year after I should have. Now with college, I kicked butt first semester of my first year, did mediocre second semester... and I'm now stuck upgrading a few classes this year because I didn't get into the program I wanted, and refuse to settle for anything less.

Make goals for yourself... make a schedule, and force yourself to stick with it. You wanna go out on a Friday? Then you have to study for two hours a night during the week prior. Let others know of your goals, so they can let you know how disappointed they are when you don't achieve it. Treat yourself when you do well, essentially.
    That's just the thing I don't need to study that much.... if not I'll go back to high blood pressure.... I need to find a balance but it's either all or nothing with me. -_- I'm managing... I work well in a clutch! XD

Interest drops for me as well, I'm not exactly mediocre but I'm a procrastinator.
    I'd say it's not normal for everyone but there's definitely quite a few people out there who lose interest or care.

I usually remind myself to care so I can have a good life and do what I like to do. And usually it works.

I think the big difference is simply transferring from engineering. Almost all the engineering students I know are burned out and stressed to the max, eeking by with near-fail marks. I certainly want to be done with my undergraduate degree. I'm really eager to do graduate studies, and finally do some real research and move out on my own. I know these classes are important for grad school, but for whatever reason, this year has seen me a lot more distracted than usual.

Thanks for this discussion, I feel exactly the same way. I really don't want to study for my classes at all anymore but I still strongly believe in the future that I'm working towards. I'm just so tired of the repetition. I'm starting to consider a huge change in my major just so that I'm taking completely different classes. It's a good wake up call to hear that other people get burned out too.

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
    Thanks for this discussion, I feel exactly the same way. I really don't want to study for my classes at all anymore but I still strongly believe in the future that I'm working towards. I'm just so tired of the repetition. I'm starting to consider a huge change in my major just so that I'm taking completely different classes. It's a good wake up call to hear that other people get burned out too.
    Well I"m kind of glad someone can relate. I've been asking around school and overall most people "feel" like I do... rather I just told them I have no real drive to keep working. But yeah they agreed that they felt burnt out and lost insterest and all that stuff. But I won't change my major due to the fact that I love it too much. XD I actually enjoy the classes just have a hard time getting me started on work... now with the generals.... Ugh I suck at them. Overall all I've gotten B's... (as a final grade) SO my grades are great.....

Quit for a year, and then come back. And ACTUALLY make SPECIFIC plans to return, don't just tell yourself you will. Meet with your college's/university's admissions counselor/retention counselor (can't remember what they are called specifically) and talk to him about it. I know that I'm still welcome back at my old university any time I'm motivated to finish up my degree, despite my low grades upon leaving. They'll take back old students in a heartbeat.

If I'd have quit and given myself a year to rest in between, I'd have my degree. Instead I burned out, spiraled downward, crashed and burned, and ended up dropping out because I ran out of money...but if I wouldn't have turned things around in another year, I'd have probably been kicked out for poor grades.

Not saying your case is like this, only you know who you are...but if you see yourself slipping, listen to yourself. I should have taken a break for a year, I didn't, and I paid the price...well, sort of. Now I'm getting set up to work for myself and retire early with a small fortune =/.

Quote Originally Posted by Draugr View Post
    Quit for a year, and then come back. And ACTUALLY make SPECIFIC plans to return, don't just tell yourself you will. Meet with your college's/university's admissions counselor/retention counselor (can't remember what they are called specifically) and talk to him about it. I know that I'm still welcome back at my old university any time I'm motivated to finish up my degree, despite my low grades upon leaving. They'll take back old students in a heartbeat.

If I'd have quit and given myself a year to rest in between, I'd have my degree. Instead I burned out, spiraled downward, crashed and burned, and ended up dropping out because I ran out of money...but if I wouldn't have turned things around in another year, I'd have probably been kicked out for poor grades.

Not saying your case is like this, only you know who you are...but if you see yourself slipping, listen to yourself. I should have taken a break for a year, I didn't, and I paid the price...well, sort of. Now I'm getting set up to work for myself and retire early with a small fortune =/.
    That would be a nice idea but I want to get over with college ASAP! I have a month long break this winter along with 3 months of summer so that should be enough ya know? And I can't postpone any of my plans. I'm engaged to be married and I want that first and foremost. (My parents are paying for college) so yeah it's a dumb idea for me to stop.