Thread: The Peace Corps?

Default The Peace Corps?

So I've been thinking of joining when I get out of high school. I need kind of a break from my life (not why I'm joining but it is a plus) and one of my teachers really recommended for us to go into the peace corps and volunteer, help out folks, etc. The only downside I really see, is that I would be gone for over 2 years. Like I would be almost 21. It's a long time but I'm putting serious thought to it. Has anyone here ever been in the peace corps or just has any input??

Countdown

It's a huge commitment, so I urge you to gather as much information about it as you can. It's not for me, personally. But if you're altruistic and dedicated, you can really benefit from the Peace Corps.

IIRC, you need a bachelors or substantial work experience to get into the peace corps.

There is Americorps NCCC, though. No education required and you get to stay home and work with people in the US that need help.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkmaster View Post
    IIRC, you need a bachelors or substantial work experience to get into the peace corps.

There is Americorps NCCC, though. No education required and you get to stay home and work with people in the US that need help.
    There is truth to this (damnit). The only issue with doing Americorps is that I would prefer to help out in another country rather than stay in the US.

Peace corps is a nifty deal. Wish we had something similar here.

However, in the voluntourism circle there's a lot of bad talk about them. So if you can't do the corps, or you don't want to deal with the drama, you can always volunteer with another organization. It'll be a lot more expensive, but they give you more options than "Two years or nothin". You could go for 6 months if you wanted to. Plus, a lot of them don't require you to have any specific work experience. I mean, it'll help if you're a carpenter or something, but that's not your only option.

It's a fantastic way to experience another culture as well as help others. I plan on volunteering my time as soon as I'm of college and have enough money.

Does anyone know of any other similar volunteer programs similar to the peace corps?

Quote Originally Posted by HellHound View Post
    Does anyone know of any other similar volunteer programs similar to the peace corps?
    AmeriCorps NCCC

No experience necessary, specifically designed for young people. Its a really good program. I'm applying when the applications for Fall '11 go up in November. Check it out if you're at all interested in a full time volunteer gig.