Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hello everyone!

I'm Nick and I'm a university student in the UK. I've had a passing interest in toddler-ish things for a while and thought it would be great to talk to some like-minded people.

In normal life, I study pretty hard. Sometimes I feel I know the library better than my own bedroom! When I'm not working, I like to play in orchestras and sing in choirs or just chill out around a piano with my friends. Have also rediscovered the love of reading, especially modern fiction. Autobiographies as well, as it's always really surprising how much we normal people have in common with the famous isn't it? Aside from that, I like much of the standard student-type-of-thing, like playing sport really badly and going to pubs and films etc, though I haven't stolen a traffic cone for a while!

Looking forward to talking to you all on the site!

Nick

Hi Nick, and welcome to ADISC!

Great introduction. it's good to see fellow UKers signing up, too! What are you studying at university?

Pop into the Live Chat sometime, it's a great place to talk to people (obviously, duh) and get to know them.

If you have any problems, don't hesitate to ask, and most importantly, enjoy your time here!

crazykittensmile

Hello,
    Welcome to the forums Congrats on a very good and well-rounded introduction!

If you don't mind me asking what are you studying at university? Which year are you in? I didn't study much in my first 2 years, but in my 3rd year I had to study a bit more and now I'm in my fourth year and also have to spend a lot of time in the library.

You sound very musical, what do you play in orhchestras? I haven't a musical bone in my body unfortunately, I used to have piano lessons but I spent 3 years learning and never even made it to Grade 1. I can play one song on the recorder though.

Sorry for so many questions but I have to ask what kind of modern fiction do you like? I have also just recently found time to start reading again so would love some recommendations!

Look forward to seeing you around the forums

Oh, how ironic! I was just reading a newspaper article about old people bemoaning the traffic cones that are ALWAYS on top of this one statue in Glasgow! It's like a tradition and students feel they've failed if there isn't one on his head at all times!

I was once a student like you! Keep up the good work!!

What sort of films are you into? What are you studying (if you don't want to say then that's no bother )

Hi everyone, thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm actually a physicist but am getting quite into the maths side of things as third year kicks off. Music-wise, I'm a violinist, though I'm sure like many people I went through a phase of being forced to play recorder excruciatingly badly. About the books, when I'm feeling in the mood for experimental literature, am enjoying Virginia Woolf and Calvino, and for lighter times, authors like Waugh and Stephen Fry!

Oooh, how exciting! I was training to be a minister, so I was doing divinity, at Edinburgh Uni

I too had those awful recorder lessons, but at my school whoever did the best at recorder got to go onto do real music lessons in violins and cello!! :O

I always thought that was really unfair! Just because I can't blow into a silly tube in the right way, doesn't mean I couldn't play the violin

Teehee! Yay for Waugh! I love Brideshead Revisited! I've watched the TV series, and read like three editions of the book. Once I even bought a copy drunk in an antique bookshop! Haha I'm such a geek!

Babyjess = recorder
    LittleNicky = violin/piano/etc.
    Me = trombone

I'm sensing the beginnings of a rather regrettable ADISC Symphony Orchestra here . You're probably an awesome violinist Nick, you'd likely end up a one-man show in that crowd pretty soon, lol.

Welcome to the forums, if you want some help, please don't hesitate to scream sing. You seem to be the kind of guy to get along here pretty well. I hope you enjoy your time here as much as I have.

crazykittensmile

Quote Originally Posted by spddan View Post
    Babyjess = recorder
    LittleNicky = violin/piano/etc.
    Me = trombone

I'm sensing the beginnings of a rather regrettable ADISC Symphony Orchestra here . You're probably an awesome violinist Nick, you'd likely end up a one-man show in that crowd pretty soon, lol.
    One-man show? Are you saying that my only being able to play one song, ( and one with only 5 lines and 4 notes *hot cross buns, hot cross buns, one a penny, two a penny, hot cross buns*) won't be good enough to make it big? I think the recorder is truly under appreciated, only school teachers seem to realise the true beauty of the sound it makes. Luckily I am training to be a school teacher - soon I will have an army of mini recorder players to take the world by storm with. Then when I am rubbing noses with the likes of Simon Cowell in the music industry world you will regret kicking me out of the band!