Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: prescription for diapers in Norway?

Default prescription for diapers in Norway?

Ya I know it sounds odd but we had a discussion the other day in irc with a fellow that lives in norway... they've got the whole state healthcare thing (called "blue" medical or something like that) and diapers are covered. BUT, they appear to require a prescription. There was some discussion over interpretation and law and we tried to sort through some google translations on web pages that had some information, but nothing firm was settled on.

Although there was still speculation on the accuracy, it appears that diapers DO require a prescription there, but only if you want to buy them in the way that gets the very low price due to state healthcare coverage. If you don't have a prescription, in theory you should still be able to buy them, but at a significant markup. (how much?) And there was also a question as to whether or not stores would even be willing to sell to you out-of-prescription. He was under the impression that he would have difficulty finding a store willing to sell to him if he didn't have a prescription.

Anyone here from Norway that has experience buying diapers without a prescription? Are diapers "behind the counter" (and have to "ask for them") as most prescription meds are here in the USA? Is it hard to find a store that will sell to you?

One of the key web pages we were looking at is here (norweigan), here's the google translation (search the google translation for "cookies" for lols)

Middle of the page, the table with "blue prescription" on the right next to everything.

Yeah, this is something both me and others, like Amon would really like to know...
    It really is quite confusing, and frankly from the results i've got on google i get some mixed views, some say they've HAD to get a subscription in order to buy them, others have not, so it's an unclear and rather difficult subject to find out on...

Can any other Norwegians, or people who have shopped diapers in pharmacies in Norway please share their stories on this?

You absolutely don't need any prescription for buying diapers i Norway. Everyone who wants can walk into a pharmacy or medical supply store and buy as many diapers they want. As a price example, a regular pack with 28 Tena slip diapers costs about 190 norwegian kroner / 32 US dollars.
    But if you need diapers for medical reasons, your doctor will be able to give you a so-called "blue-prescription", and then you barely have to pay anything for the diapers yourself.
    So, this is how it works here in Norway! Just ask if you have further questions...

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerJim View Post
    You absolutely don't need any prescription for buying diapers i Norway.
    There was some concern though as to whether or not stores would even sell to you without prescription, even if they had them in stock. And are they "behind the counter" or "over the counter"?

Of course the stores will sell them to you, why shouldt them? All businesses wants to sell their products.
    In most pharmacies they keep the real diapers behind the counter, so you will have to ask for them, but the goodnites/drynites, and the thinnest pull-ups styles diapers is often keeped out in the shop.
    In some few specialiced health supplies stores you will find all kinds of diapers standing out in the store, so you can find them by yourself. But there are quite few of this stores, and they are only in the largest cities.

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerJim View Post
    Of course the stores will sell them to you, why shouldt them? All businesses wants to sell their products.
    In most pharmacies they keep the real diapers behind the counter, so you will have to ask for them, but the goodnites/drynites, and the thinnest pull-ups styles diapers is often keeped out in the shop.
    In some few specialiced health supplies stores you will find all kinds of diapers standing out in the store, so you can find them by yourself. But there are quite few of this stores, and they are only in the largest cities.
    Yeah, that's what i kinda feared... i really don't want to settle with junk like goodnights and pullups, i live in Haugesund, i don't know if that is considered to be within the group of largest cities in Norway (is 12th largest), but maybe the pharmacies here will have them over the counter?

And if the worst case scenario is that i have to order from behind the counter, errr what then? How do they usually act, are they snoopy, and ask a lot of questions?

I think we have some similar system here in the Netherlands and I've never had a problem with pharmacies demanding a prescription or anything like that.
    If you think about it it wouldn't make any sense for a pharmacy to deny selling you diapers, I mean there's valid reasons to be buying diapers without a prescription and it's all money for them anyway.

Pharmacy staff are trained to be discreet so if you make it very clear what you want they probably won't bother questioning you. And even if they do, don't be afraid to tell them you don't want to talk about it. One thing I do to make it easier for myself is to order ahead (email) and tell them it's without a prescription. This way I don't have to ask for diapers themselves when I'm at the pharmacy. I just ask for the order for <my name>, pay and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikingfops View Post
    Yeah, that's what i kinda feared... i really don't want to settle with junk like goodnights and pullups, i live in Haugesund, i don't know if that is considered to be within the group of largest cities in Norway (is 12th largest), but maybe the pharmacies here will have them over the counter?

And if the worst case scenario is that i have to order from behind the counter, errr what then? How do they usually act, are they snoopy, and ask a lot of questions?
    I'm not sure if there are any stores in Haugesund which have the diapers standing out in the store, I only now about a couple of stores in Oslo and one in Bergen which have that, so most likely you will have to ask the pharmacy-staff for diapers. But don't let this stop you, I have never had any bad experiences with this, sure it has happened a couple of times that they have asked who they are for. But this is only because they want to make sure you buy the right size. Just answer they are for your grandmother or grandfather or old uncle or something like that. And if you buy small size diapers, like tena slip xtra small, they will probably just assume they are for your small siblings or something like that. In 9 of 10 cases the staff don't ask any questions at all, besides what size you want. Remember that they are on work, they don't care what you buy, they just wants to help you.

In the States I don't think a diaper prescription even exists, we do have a program called FSA (flex spend account) which allows you to designate a dollar amount of your choosing at the beginning of the year. They will divide that amount up by the number of paychecks you get in a year and deduct that amount from each check pre-tax. So if you designate $100 and you get paid weekly then they would divide $100 by 52 weeks and deduct $1.92 from each check over the course of the year.

They issue you a debit card so that the full designated amount is available to you from day one and you can use it to pay deductibles and copays for Dr. visits, on prescriptions or on over the counter items like cold meds, pain relievers, thermometers and things like that.

Because they have no idea of what you're buying you have to send them a copy of your receipt so they can verify that your purchase was for approved items. If it's not approved they will send you a bill and remind you that if you abuse the program it is grounds for dismissal from participating in the program.

Incontinence products are also included on the list of approved items and I've purchased diapers this way twice and oddly enough they approved one of the transactions and denied the other and I had to pay them back for that order. I've always wondered how they determined which purchase was okay and which was unnecessary. My wife was convinced that it was because the diapers were not medically necessary but how would they know whether or not I needed them? There is no diaper prescription that I know of and it's not like there's a stamp on your insurance card that says, 'incontinent.' I'm curious to know what their criteria is for approving transactions for diapers. Who knows, it may have been a clerical error that caused them to deny the one purchase. Diapers are on the list of approved items just like band-aids and Hydrogen-Peroxide and not everybody needs those items. Denying the purchase for diapers to me is like denying your purchase for Tylenol because they had no way of knowing whether or not you really had a headache.

Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread to get my questions answered or get off topic, I just wanted to approach the overall idea of diaper prescriptions from a different point of view.