Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: chemically induced hapiness?

Default chemically induced hapiness?

It seems there's no denying that human emotions are now purely chemical reactions. My question is, would you willingly take drugs to make you "falsely" happy? that's if such a drug existed and could do it completely safely.

by falsely happy.. I mean taking man-made chemicals to feel happy even though say your pet just died, or there's just been another school shooting/terrorist incident, etc.

Butterfly Mage

That would seem like cheating to me. Part of the life experience is to learn from sorrow as well as joy. Pain can teach the soul just as pleasure can. From balance comes wisdom.

Nope, I would not. I would imagine that there would be bad side effects. If I'm going to be happy, then I want it to be real.

Chemically Induced Happiness - interesting concept.

Believe it or not, we do this on a daily basis, and we don't ever realise it. Food - alot of foods hold the chemical compounds that indeed increase the serotonin released within our brains!

Putting that aside - chemically induced happiness let say by Prozac has been used by an estimated 35 million people worldwide.... thats to say that at least 35 million people would have said yes at some point to accepting what you consider to be "chemically induced happiness" or "chemically induced emotional stability.

These are interesting figures don't you think!

this website has some interesting stats too! look at the pre-schoolers stats WOW that is scary! Depression Fact Sheet: Depression Statistics and Depression Causes

Not only that - Prozac (as an example) is ever more so becoming a Cult phenomenon - like its trendy to have been on or to be on Prozac.....
    Last edited by findlay; 30-Sep-2010 at 03:51. Reason: additional comment

yeah that is what i thought - but i don't really know where Fire2box was heading with it...

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly Mage View Post
    That would seem like cheating to me. Part of the life experience is to learn from sorrow as well as joy. Pain can teach the soul just as pleasure can. From balance comes wisdom.
    exactly as stated its just cheating and if your happy all the time and don't have to deal with the flip side of the coin i don't think one can really appreciate happiness.

I would never take a drug for anything other than battling an illness. I think the awful, hideous, horrifying, circus freak ugly truth is better than a beautiful lie any day of the week.

acorn

Sounds like a facet of totalitarianism to me!