Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prostitution is now legal in Ontario

Default Prostitution is now legal in Ontario

The title is misleading. Prostitution has always been legal in Ontario; it's everything that has to do with prostitution that was banned. No talking to customers, no paid sex in a private home, ect.

Prostitution laws struck down - thestar.com

A Toronto judge has struck down Canada’s prostitution laws, saying provisions meant to protect women and residential neighbourhoods are endangering sex workers’ lives.

If Justice Susan Himel’s decision stands, prostitutes will be able to communicate freely with customers on the street, conduct business in their homes or brothels and hire bodyguards and accountants without exposing them to the risk of criminal sanctions.

The Superior Court judge suspended her ruling from taking effect for 30 days to give the government time to consider how to address potential consequences, including the emergence of unlicensed brothels.
    It works like this:
    -People will always pay for sex.
    -People will always want to get paid for sex.
    -You can't stop prostitution.
    -You CAN, however, make it safer for prostitutes and customers alike.

I've heard about a lot of people and politicians who are disgusted with the ruling because it's not "morally correct". Since when is the government here to decide what's morally right for all of us?

i think this is a good idea. as you say people will always want to pay and be paid for sex. if the government introduce laws to regulate it, it may become safer for the people involved.
    i was going to say that they should have to get licenses and have to take regular drug and std checks or get the license revoked then i had a fit of the giggles thinking about how awesome it would be to flash out a badges and be like "Mr Mcawesome, Harlot" all dramaticly and stuff..... ok it was hilarious in my brain people

I think it's OK for a person to sell their body if they want to (Really fucking dumb, but their choice...) But I don't think this should be just something anybody could do... I mean think about it:
    1. - Many people could simply quit school just because they would have to do no real effort to get a job as a prostitute... and that would in turn lead to less workers being trained for jobs, that you know, actually aid society?
    2. - Quality Control. If prostitution is going to be legal, one should require a license to offer it. If the government is seriously going to allow it, they also need to regulate such that people with every kind of disease known to man aren't taking advantage of it. You don't get on a Bus if the driver doesn't have a bus license, you don't buy alcohol if the store doesn't have a liquor license, so why is it asking that much to make sure the person you are going to be with is... "Qualified".

Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessMonster View Post
    I think it's OK for a person to sell their body if they want to (Really fucking dumb, but their choice...) But I don't think this should be just something anybody could do... I mean think about it:
    1. - Many people could simply quit school just because they would have to do no real effort to get a job as a prostitute... and that would in turn lead to less workers being trained for jobs, that you know, actually aid society?
    Slippery slope. Just because I can get work as a fruit picker doesn't mean I'm going to drop out of college.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNamelessMonster View Post
    2. - Quality Control. If prostitution is going to be legal, one should require a license to offer it. If the government is seriously going to allow it, they also need to regulate such that people with every kind of disease known to man aren't taking advantage of it. You don't get on a Bus if the driver doesn't have a bus license, you don't buy alcohol if the store doesn't have a liquor license, so why is it asking that much to make sure the person you are going to be with is... "Qualified".
    Exactly. When it was illegal there was no quality control, no regulation, much like alcohol prohibition.

Default Giddy up!

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    The title is misleading. Prostitution has always been legal in Ontario; it's everything that has to do with prostitution that was banned. No talking to customers, no paid sex in a private home, ect.

Prostitution laws struck down - thestar.com

It works like this:
    -People will always pay for sex.
    -People will always want to get paid for sex.
    -You can't stop prostitution.
    -You CAN, however, make it safer for prostitutes and customers alike.

I've heard about a lot of people and politicians who are disgusted with the ruling because it's not "morally correct". Since when is the government here to decide what's morally right for all of us?

Hey, Chillhouse,

Now if the Stand-up Comedy thing doesn't pan out, you have another awesome trade to fall back on!

Giddy-up, Chillhouse!

DR

Hahaha, I don't know if I should take that as an insult or a compliment!

Just heard Ottawa is going to appeal this and take it to court.
    http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...itution-ruling
    Last edited by Chillhouse; 29-Sep-2010 at 19:21.

We outlawed prostitution in Norway just some years ago, bad move.
    Yes, we got many off the street, and yes fewer prostitutes were to be seen in the STREETS, but in the illegal brothels and whorehouses conditions worsened, making it even more dangerous for the prostitutes.

This is a smart move on Ontario to be honest. When a business is legal, it gets less shady places.

Quote Originally Posted by Chillhouse View Post
    Hahaha, I don't know if I should take that as an insult or a compliment!

Just heard Ottawa is going to appeal this and take it to court.
    Ottawa to appeal prostitution ruling - thestar.com
    This is going to go to the Supreme Court for sure. The problem with that is that, if the Supreme Court were to rule in the same way as the Superior Court of Ontario, it would have the same effect as what happened in the early 2000s: instead of only legalizing it in a few provinces as per the province's constitutional right to legiferate in civil matters, it will force the whole of Canada to abide by the ruling. So it's a definite gamble by the federal government there, as the Charter of Rights and Freedoms could make the balance go to the sex workers.

maffew

There's legal prostitution in my part of Nevada, it's regulated, and helps pay for our fire dept, the girls are safe and have weekly health checks, I can't understand why everyone else doesn't follow this model.

Here in the UK it's not actually illegal to buy or sell sex, it's only illegal to live off the proceeds of prostitution. Which means it's ok as long as it's not your main income. It's crazy!

Also, brothels aren't illegal, as long as not more than two people work there. Street walking is illegal though, however you're unlikely to get charged for it, you'll be treated more as a victim unless you're doing something else illegal as well.

I like the idea of making prostitution legal. Although sometimes it's hard to draw the line.