Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) (petition)

Default The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) (petition)

In the United States, a new law proposal called The Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA) was introduced last week, and there will be a hearing in front of the Judiciary Committee this Thursday.

If passed, this law will allow the government, under the command of the media copanies, to censor the internet as they see fit, like China and Iran do, with the difference that the sites they decide to censor will be completely removed form the internet and not just in the US.

Please see the following article from the Huffington Post for more information.

Stop the Internet Blacklist

And if you are a US citizen, please take the time sign this petition

I know a lot of people are against piracy, but it's not just about that, it's about the lack of freedom we will have on the internet... It's something that shouldn't be taken away! This is The United States of America, and I want my freedom!

The hell!?!?!?!?! Signed.
    EDIT: And i uploaded the link to facebook to share with friends.

Sick. Thanks guys. I uploaded this everywhere I could. I even emailed it to my old history teacher who happens to be teaching current events this year. Maybe she'll get the class to sign after a class discussion. (The class is bullshit anyway... They just read the newspaper...)

Where does the US Government reserve the right to close piracy websites regardless of where they're from?
    demonoid
    the pirate bay
    torrents ru

Fuck, man. Everything...

They could technically even be required to block youtube. Webmasters will move their hosting to other countries to avoid this crap as much as they can.

This whole thing is disgusting. It seems to be mostly about a bunch of rich whiners being worried that they aren't rich enough.

One problem is that a lot of people who make decisions on these kinda things don't understand computers nor the internet very well. They don't use the internet much beyond checking their e-mail and looking at the front page of Yahoo. Some of them might not even do that.
    Last edited by ShippoFox; 27-Sep-2010 at 22:09.

Internet censorship doesn't work as proven by China and Australia. Plus if this passed it would be struck down in court.

Also internet petitions don't really work. Best thing to do is find your congressman's and senators number and say you don't want this to happen either dayily or weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by Me :p View Post
    censor will be completely removed form the internet and not just in the US.
    Hmm, reading through S 3804 and I don't see where this US only bill has any power over domains registered outside of the US. Can you explain how 'for instance' a domain registered via afnic would have anything to worry about from this? This really looks like US registrars only. Now I suppose the US could force carriers to not allow traffic from a blacklisted domain, however anonymisers and proxies can easily get around this. Internet blacklists already exist and have for over a decade, mostly combating rogue domains/spammers. Agis, a.k.a. the Spambone is STILL in local blacklists over a decade later. Granted, these are not Federally over-sought lists.

Quote Originally Posted by babibear View Post
    Hmm, reading through S 3804 and I don't see where this US only bill has any power over domains registered outside of the US. Can you explain how 'for instance' a domain registered via afnic would have anything to worry about from this? This really looks like US registrars only. Now I suppose the US could force carriers to not allow traffic from a blacklisted domain, however anonymisers and proxies can easily get around this. Internet blacklists already exist and have for over a decade, mostly combating rogue domains/spammers. Agis, a.k.a. the Spambone is STILL in local blacklists over a decade later. Granted, these are not Federally over-sought lists.
    I read it in one of the things I was skimming through. It may have been dramatized to get people to sign...

I read it in one of the things I was skimming through. It may have been dramatized to get people to sign...
    Ahh, that explains it then. Yah, this US bill really has no power over domains outside of the US and doesn't have the ability to give a 'death penalty' to any data traffic not running over/through US lines. It could require DNS for rogue domains not be allowed inside of the US internet structure, but there are some pretty big technical hurdles to overcome with such an idea. Heck, US common carriers can't easily block Nigerian 419 telephone scams. How one would do it with the internet sounds rather unworkable and I'd doubt it will get terribly far in either the Senate or the House.

Perhaps you should read the bill before jumping to conclusions. Or at least the article. This bill would create 2 lists of websites. One (created by the courts) would be a list of websites that ISPs will be compelled to block. The second (created by the DoJ) would be websites that ISPs would be encouraged to block. Domestic sites would, obviously, be shut down, but foreign websites would be blocked by US ISPs.

One thing it isn't is a way for the federal government to block a website at will. There would be a court process for those. The more worrying thing would be the second list. The DoJ would have direct control of this, and ISPs would presumably block them to gain favor with the government (lolprerevolutionaryfrance).

If you actually read the bill, you can see its aimed squarely at torrent tracker sites. It doesn't provide new punishments for people that violate copyright law, it provides punishment for those who promote access to copyrighted materials. Like your piratebay etc.

Nevertheless, it is a bad idea. There is no need for a separate government bureaucracy (last part of the bill) to manage what websites Americans can visit, court mandated or not. The DoJ list could also be used to block information that the government does not want you to see, ex. claiming that a whistleblowing website contains copyrighted material.

But this isn't some chicken little bill that will mean the end of the internet as we know it.