Thread: Plastic pants question

Default Plastic pants question

So due to the long term cost of disposables, I'm considering getting a hold of a couple of cloth diapers and some plastic pants, so I can reuse my stash. Problem is, I love disposables mostly because of the wonderful crinkle they make. I want my plastic pants to be the same way.

I went on a bunch of sites, and did some research around here for the noisiest solution, but I was pretty overwhelmed (and the question was never really brought up). There are so many options for material: nylon, vinyl, rubber, plastic, you name it. I know that I probably won't be able to replicate the crinkle of the landing zone of a Bambino, for example, but I'd like to be as close as I can get.

So my question to ADISC iis -- which kind of plastic pants are the noisiest?

Thanks in advance for your input, everyone!

rule of thumb: the noisiest tend to be the cheapest.
    the cheapest (in terms of quality and sometimes in price, though the latter is totally flexible) are usually plastic. to confuse matters a bit more, 'plastic' is a fairly general term which is often applied to any synthetic 'fabric'; while this includes polyester and nylon, in the world of diapering it usually refers to vinyl or the 'traditional', cheap plastic. since i'm going to be advising that you take a trip to your local hardware store, or suchlike, to examine the shower curtains to determine what kind of material you'd like, take a note of the types of synthetic fabric used to make the curtains - there are quite a few different types and it isn't obvious nor explained what the pros and cons are of any.
    naturally, i'm recommending that you make a pair of your own, whether or not you buy off-the-peg too, as it's not likely that you'll be wholly satisfied with off-the-peg garments, for various reason but, especially for the prices that are often charged.
    for the last pair i made, i used a shower curtain, bought specifically for the job; it's nice and noisy, though more of what i describe as a crunkle rather than a crinkle. the pair before that, i made from a matress protector and they, too are very noisy. both materials were hard sourced as the trend in synthetic fabrics is to mimmick natural fibre materials and be to less noisy than they were in years gone by (rustle-free, as they say).
    of course, going for the stiffer materials you have to beware of not having it too stiff as the elasticated openings can nip and dig into you. the option of using 'plush' or fabricated elastics is available for bought pants and homemade, though you will need to bulk up more on the absorbancy side of things as the comfier elastications aren't watertight and any puddles or pools of fluid will seep out easily.

hard to know what other advice to give as i live on the other side of the pond and source my gear locally, but if you make your own stuff, you're only limited by your own imagination and enthusiasm, not someone else's.

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    naturally, i'm recommending that you make a pair of your own, whether or not you buy off-the-peg too, as it's not likely that you'll be wholly satisfied with off-the-peg garments, for various reason but, especially for the prices that are often charged. for the last pair i made, i used a shower curtain, bought specifically for the job; it's nice and noisy, though more of what i describe as a crunkle rather than a crinkle.
    That's actually really interesting -- I'll definitely look into it. Making your own gives you much more control over exactly what you're getting.

Anyone else have ideas for the meantime?

Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    rule of thumb: the noisiest tend to be the cheapest.
    the cheapest (in terms of quality and sometimes in price, though the latter is totally flexible) are usually plastic. to confuse matters a bit more, 'plastic' is a fairly general term which is often applied to any synthetic 'fabric'; while this includes polyester and nylon, in the world of diapering it usually refers to vinyl or the 'traditional', cheap plastic. since i'm going to be advising that you take a trip to your local hardware store, or suchlike, to examine the shower curtains to determine what kind of material you'd like, take a note of the types of synthetic fabric used to make the curtains - there are quite a few different types and it isn't obvious nor explained what the pros and cons are of any.
    naturally, i'm recommending that you make a pair of your own, whether or not you buy off-the-peg too, as it's not likely that you'll be wholly satisfied with off-the-peg garments, for various reason but, especially for the prices that are often charged.
    for the last pair i made, i used a shower curtain, bought specifically for the job; it's nice and noisy, though more of what i describe as a crunkle rather than a crinkle. the pair before that, i made from a matress protector and they, too are very noisy. both materials were hard sourced as the trend in synthetic fabrics is to mimmick natural fibre materials and be to less noisy than they were in years gone by (rustle-free, as they say).
    of course, going for the stiffer materials you have to beware of not having it too stiff as the elasticated openings can nip and dig into you. the option of using 'plush' or fabricated elastics is available for bought pants and homemade, though you will need to bulk up more on the absorbancy side of things as the comfier elastications aren't watertight and any puddles or pools of fluid will seep out easily.

hard to know what other advice to give as i live on the other side of the pond and source my gear locally, but if you make your own stuff, you're only limited by your own imagination and enthusiasm, not someone else's.
    Myprotexdotcom has lots of good stuff. I wear euroflex (pvc) crinkly pants over my diaper. They are very crinkly.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tiddles View Post
    Myprotexdotcom has lots of good stuff. I wear euroflex (pvc) crinkly pants over my diaper. They are very crinkly.
    I get mine from shop4pvc.co.uk
    Look for high waisted euroflex pull up pants. You get a discount for buying 3 of the same type.