Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Rubber or Silicone teats?

  1. #1

    Default Rubber or Silicone teats?

    What do you guys (or girls ) prefer: A silicone teat on your bottle or paci, or a latex free rubber?

    I prefer silicone, just because of the lack of taste, it's "silkiness", and because the white/clear colour seems more babyish.

  2. #2
    crazykittensmile

    Default

    I much much much prefer silicone. In fact I don't really like latex at all, a shame as the Nuk 5 is latex rubber only. I have just ordered one to try after reading so many good reviews as I am an avid pacifier lover, but I suspect that I won't like the feel of the latex. I wish they would make a NUK 5 in silicone. For bottles I wouldn't even consider anything but silicone, I find latex/rubber tastes funny and I like my milk to taste like milk. And I also think the silicone looks much cleaner, and more babyish than the orangey brown of latex/rubber. Plus silicone seems to last longer - latex/rubber perishes with age and gets that dusty white powdery film and the texture changes, but silicone doesn't seem to get that.

  3. #3

    Default

    I prefer silicone for my pacifyer because i have a bad habbit of grinding my teeth and rubber just seems to wear down faster

  4. #4
    angelabauer

    Default

    I am allergic to rubber and latex. So I only use clear silicone nipples on my baby bottles and MAM pacifiers.

  5. #5
    crazykittensmile

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    I am allergic to rubber and latex. So I only use clear silicone nipples on my baby bottles and MAM pacifiers.
    MAM pacifiers are my favourites - I must have at least 30 of them :-)

  6. #6
    angelabauer

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by babyjess View Post
    MAM pacifiers are my favourites - I must have at least 30 of them :-)
    Wow, that is a lot of pacifiers.

    I bought my first pair of MAM pacifiers in October 1990, upon the recommendation of my youngest sister Missy. Knowing that I am allergic to latex I went through the choices at a supermarket until I found a set with clear silicone orthodontic 6+ month nipples. Having just finished 2 years of orthodontia at my expense, the next Monday I talked about pacifiers with my orthodontist. His advice was to use my paci as little as possible and to use toddler orthodontic nipples. So I lucked out.

    Who knows how many MAM pacifiers have have bought since 1990? The Saturday after buying my first set I did go back to the store for MAM pacifier leash. I still have that first one and I have bought just a few more. It was late May of 1991 before I bought my second set of MAM because I was spending the night at Don Davis' house a few times a week. Then when Don and I started making the Baby Angel still photos I bought a third set for PlaySpace where we took the pictures. As MAM wear out I toss the old set and replace them. I do not keep more that 3 sets at a time.

  7. #7
    crazykittensmile

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    Wow, that is a lot of pacifiers.

    I bought my first pair of MAM pacifiers in October 1990, upon the recommendation of my youngest sister Missy. Knowing that I am allergic to latex I went through the choices at a supermarket until I found a set with clear silicone orthodontic 6+ month nipples. Having just finished 2 years of orthodontia at my expense, the next Monday I talked about pacifiers with my orthodontist. His advice was to use my paci as little as possible and to use toddler orthodontic nipples. So I lucked out.

    Who knows how many MAM pacifiers have have bought since 1990? The Saturday after buying my first set I did go back to the store for MAM pacifier leash. I still have that first one and I have bought just a few more. It was late May of 1991 before I bought my second set of MAM because I was spending the night at Don Davis' house a few times a week. Then when Don and I started making the Baby Angel still photos I bought a third set for PlaySpace where we took the pictures. As MAM wear out I toss the old set and replace them. I do not keep more that 3 sets at a time.
    Yeah, I collect pacifiers - I think I have about 190 and counting. MAMs are my favourite, I own a lot of them and still have one of the first set I bought (the other fell down a public toilet!). I have worn a few out, but as I have so many pacifiers to switch between they don't wear out often so usually I buy new pacifiers for the new designs or other new features (such as the silk seat or the active/diamond ones with the textured nipple) rather than out of necessity.

    I think I must have bought my first MAM pacifier in about 2002, in the UK they didn't do silicone nipples and the first few sets I bought were all latex. Have the pacifiers' design changed much since 1990? MAM] used to make pacifiers with a nipple a size bigger than the 6+ month for age 18-36 months, I was able to buy them from the German ebay site a few times but I don't think they still make them, or if they do they are not as populat as unfortunately I haven't been able to find them anywhere on the internet in the last few years.

  8. #8
    angelabauer

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by babyjess View Post
    Yeah, I collect pacifiers - I think I have about 190 and counting. MAMs are my favorite, I own a lot of them and still have one of the first set I bought (the other fell down a public toilet!). I have worn a few out, but as I have so many pacifiers to switch between they don't wear out often so usually I buy new pacifiers for the new designs or other new features (such as the silk seat or the active/diamond ones with the textured nipple) rather than out of necessity.

    I think I must have bought my first MAM pacifier in about 2002, in the UK they didn't do silicone nipples and the first few sets I bought were all latex. Have the pacifiers' design changed much since 1990? MAM] used to make pacifiers with a nipple a size bigger than the 6+ month for age 18-36 months, I was able to buy them from the German ebay site a few times but I don't think they still make them, or if they do they are not as popular as unfortunately I haven't been able to find them anywhere on the internet in the last few years.
    Here in the USA MAM products are imported and distributed my Sassy Inc. I have never seen MAM with nipples larger than 6+ month orthodontic which are not much larger than a regular nipple. The shape is different. MAM is an Austrian firm. It is probable they have a website, but I have only visited the Sassy site.

    As far as I can tell the MAM clear silicone orthodontic 6+ month nipples are the same as in 1990. The size and shape of the button also is the same, so the same leashes work. However, details of the mouth shield have changed a whole lot. At one time there were UltraMAM which had a more ventilated shield. Later it seemed all the MAM were ventilated so they dropped the Ultra. After all that the decorations changed and they started selling individual pacifiers, not just sets of two. If you look in my gallery you will see me suckling several MAM pacifiers. All shown in the pictures were purchased in 1991 and save just for the photos, which were taken over a period of a few years.

    I have worn out some MAM that I actually use while falling to sleep. That is why I use the leashes. When I am soundly sleeping my pacifier falls out of my mouth. Probably that has helped reduce damage to the alignment of my teeth.

    It is because I want my pacifier to fall from my mouth that I have never bought any of the larger adult kind. The 6+ month orthodontic satisfies my personal pacifier needs. Maybe I am just easy to please.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1182.jpg 
Views:	14982 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	2703  

  9. #9
    crazykittensmile

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    Here in the USA MAM products are imported and distributed my Sassy Inc. I have never seen MAM with nipples larger than 6+ month orthodontic which are not much larger than a regular nipple. The shape is different. MAM is an Austrian firm. It is probable they have a website, but I have only visited the Sassy site.

    As far as I can tell the MAM clear silicone orthodontic 6+ month nipples are the same as in 1990. The size and shape of the button also is the same, so the same leashes work. However, details of the mouth shield have changed a whole lot. At one time there were UltraMAM which had a more ventilated shield. Later it seemed all the MAM were ventilated so they dropped the Ultra. After all that the decorations changed and they started selling individual pacifiers, not just sets of two. If you look in my gallery you will see me suckling several MAM pacifiers. All shown in the pictures were purchased in 1991 and save just for the photos, which were taken over a period of a few years.

    I have worn out some MAM that I actually use while falling to sleep. That is why I use the leashes. When I am soundly sleeping my pacifier falls out of my mouth. Probably that has helped reduce damage to the alignment of my teeth.

    It is because I want my pacifier to fall from my mouth that I have never bought any of the larger adult kind. The 6+ month orthodontic satisfies my personal pacifier needs. Maybe I am just easy to please.
    It's interesting that you say the nipples are the same as they were in 1990 in the US - they changed them here about a year ago, as far as I can tell they are the same size but where the nipples were once a smooth silicone now they have a patch of a more matt silicone which they call a 'silk' teat, it's supposed to fall out of the mouth less due to the surface being less smooth. They originally brought the silk teat out about 2 years ago on just one kind of pacifier, but now unfortunately all of their pacifiers are made with the 'silk' teat - I don't like the feel of it as much personally.

    When I bought my first Mam pacifier it was labelled as a 'Mam Ulti' which has now become the standard mam pacifier available with all of the ventialtion holes, but they also used to market the 'mam classic' which was, I think, an earlier design which looked was somewhat like the pacifier in your picture - the knob wasn't decorated - but it was more of a butterfly shape. That shield seems to have been discontinued as it is no longer listed on the website.

    According to the website the company made their first pacifier in 1978. I wonder how different that would have been, and now as i sit wondering about the history of my favourite pacifier brand I'm beginning to worry about my pacifier fixation. If somebody was to publish an illustrated history to pacifiers I would probably be one of the only people to read it, but I can't help but wish it existed now!

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by angelabauer View Post
    I only use clear silicone nipples on my baby bottles and MAM pacifiers.
    Oh my god, I just googled MAM pacis and they are SO CUTE (shut up, guys can say cute). Does the face part curve to fit your mouth? But they are cute...

Similar Threads

  1. Rubber Pants
    By mjk1090 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-Aug-2010, 02:43
  2. Cloth diapers, pins, rubber pants
    By Cigsandcoffee in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 25-Mar-2010, 09:00
  3. Hi from a happy rubber baby
    By MrGG in forum Greetings / Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2010, 20:43
  4. Best rubber pants?
    By wolfpup2008 in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 25-Feb-2010, 17:32
  5. Petition For Silicone Nuk MedicPro (Nuk 5)
    By kite in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-May-2009, 02:02

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.