Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who else cannot stand the violence in today's media?

Default Who else cannot stand the violence in today's media?

OK, whenever I hang out with a friend, we end up killing time watching TV or movies. I consider these interests a waste of time, so I don't watch TV or movies on my own. I'm very "outside the bubble" on what's "cool".

When he introduces me to what's popular these days, I am shocked to discover how violent and sensationalistic 75% of the movies and TV shows are. Young people seem particularly attracted to this type of content. One example is half the programming on Comedy Central. This channel scares me a lot. When did it become normal to show highly sexual images every 2 minutes? When did it become funny to exploit animals for people's entertainment? And when did it become normal to show violence every scene? Family Guy is another example of sensationalism. What's funny about joking about real people dying? What's funny about making inappropriate sexual references ten times every skit? Although I find it terrible, I guess I know why the show resorts to sensationalistic, controversial humor: most people LOVE it.

If I am going to sit down for 2 hours to watch a movie, it's going to be something like Finding Nemo or some other family-friendly movie. If I watch TV, it's usually going to be educational, or at-least not violent.

The violence and sensationalism in today's media has gotten so bad that I even told my friend I will not watch most TV or movies with him. When a show containing violence is on the TV (every time I'm over), I have to step into another room to ground myself. I don't hang out with him much because I cannot stand the filth he attracts into his mind.

Is anyone else like this?
    Last edited by TheWolfMan; 10-Sep-2010 at 05:04.

Shows on Cartoon Network are starting to get a bit too inappropriate for kids now, you got a bit of cursing, euphemisms of words they shouldn't be learning, and mature violence. I blame Adult Swim for that obviously.. But I agree with you, violence these days is growing a bit out of hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlike View Post
    Is anyone else like this, or am I becoming a grumpy old man?
    Why can't it be both?

This complaint has been a constant for thousands of years. Seriously - thousands. Every generation that passes complains that the upcoming generation, along with the requisite changes in media and entertainment, are doomed/immoral/etc. Your parents' generation complained about the same thing, and so did their parents before them. Before modern-day-tv, it was Public Enemy. Before that, it was comic books, movies, the Beatles, TV (again), jazz music, comics (again), radio, and even novels were considered to be to explicit and detracting from life.

What I hope for is that in 30 years, I remember these historical facts before I pass judgement on a media that I don't understand.

Count me in. It's not just you, I hate the stupidity of today's 'comedy' shows. It's pretty much turned me off from watching TV, or even talking to certain friends anymore, I'll be at school, and (at least me) will be discussing history with my teacher, and some nimrod has to make a reference to Family Guy. Jesus, it's only funny when you actually GET the reference and already know it, than watching it and be like "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA IT'S SO FUNNY BECAUSE SOME GUY ON FAMILY GUY SAID IT". Again, I don't watch TV at all anymore, there aren't that many shows that make me want to watch TV anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Catlike View Post
    There's a difference between Jazz music and watching somebody get their head blown off. Each generation improves on the last generation. Historically, we will look back on some things with reverence, and other things with shame. I believe we'll be facepalming this one.
    There's a difference between glorifying "cop killing" (Public Enemy)/summoning demons (Dungeons & Dragons)/gyrating pelvises (Elvis)/long, anarchist hair (the Beatles) and jazz music.

Seriously, you're making the EXACT SAME ARGUMENT, using the EXACT SAME REASONING and in some cases the exact same language as every other "young people suck and the world is doomed because of it" rant in history dating back to Aristotle. Hell, Shakespeare was decried the exact same way by the Puritans and was in fact made illegal.

Besides, my parent's generation should be looking back in shame because of the BeeGees and ABBA, not to mention grunge music and goth culture like my generation (or emo/wannabe punk, depending on if you want to go with highschool or university age for the definition of "generation").

AmbezeSubHealth

I have no problem with violence in today's media. I do not believe protecting the eyes of the children or the adults for that matter.

I don't really have a problem with the violence, I'm used to it. That said I tend to watch less and less TV just due to the fact that the move is towards: "Lets blow shit up, with a weak ass plot/no plot at all." Similar I do like Family Guy (I'm not going to watch everyday, and much rather watch South Park/Futurama but still), but some comedy movies of recent are just annoying "Lets throw some big name comedy stars in a movie and make it as stupid as possible." Granted both of these have probably been happening since I was born, just something I am beginning to notice more and more.

OF course when 50% of the world says "Avatar is like the best movie evarzzz!!" I really shouldn't be surprised we are dumbing shit down. I do wish i could catch repeats of the old Monty Python on the Flying Circus :/

Quote Originally Posted by bgi39jsjw0ggg View Post
    Why can't it be both?

This complaint has been a constant for thousands of years. Seriously - thousands. Every generation that passes complains that the upcoming generation, along with the requisite changes in media and entertainment, are doomed/immoral/etc. Your parents' generation complained about the same thing, and so did their parents before them. Before modern-day-tv, it was Public Enemy. Before that, it was comic books, movies, the Beatles, TV (again), jazz music, comics (again), radio, and even novels were considered to be to explicit and detracting from life.

What I hope for is that in 30 years, I remember these historical facts before I pass judgement on a media that I don't understand.
    Very well said, everyone is far to quick to pass judgement without considering the facts.

So to the OP:

I suppose you would prefer that that all of this filth is removed from media all together? Maybe you would go so far as to suggest that there should be stricter laws that force networks to only run shows that are deemed family friendly, educational, or safe for everyone to watch? Basically you would like a higher authority to control the content of our media and entertainment because individuals aren't responsible enough to make that kind of decision?

Don't get me wrong there is a lot (and I mean a lot) of stuff on TV that doesn't appeal to me (Like those guido shows, I seriously don't get it...). However, I also make an effort not to pass judgement on people who do like these things, everyone has their own tastes, as dumb as they may seem.

Young people, seek to define their own unique identity in life, they will do this by any means. I guess spiking their hair and painting themselves orange is something that hadn't been done yet, so that's one of them

So what do I do when I see something on TV that I think is stupid? I change the channel, because I have just as much right to not watch it, as everyone else has to watch it.

I don't know who originally said, this, but it's always stuck with me, and is something I wish more people would try to live by.

"While I may not agree with what you say, I'll defend to the death your right to say it".

Also I do sort of feel like western culture is on a downhill slide into stupidity, but that could just be part of the whole getting older and wiser thing, it's a perception that is not necessarily accurate.

Never go to Japan bro. You think we're big on sex and gore? Haha, no way. Our friends in the far east seem to know both better then we do. I do like shows that teach be things about life, the past, today and so on, but I like action movies also. I play video games, but I also read a lot. I read comics, novels, poems and even write. I also like the really deep thinking movies. Shutter Island, Inception, District 9 ( might have had action, but I think the message was very clear on what they were saying.) I can go on. I agree with Smurf and bgi39jsjw0ggg on this. It's not fair for you to really lash out at it since the same thing was done when you were in your late teen years and early 20s ( I don't know your age.)
    Is Family Guy a stupid show? Yeah It is. Would A agree that most TV shows suck today? I don't watch much of it anymore. I seem to be really liking Law & Order though. Now movies were just as bloody today as they were in the 70s and 80s. Yes they were, watch some exploitation movies and tell me they're not gory. I love old rock music. Lost of it deal with drugs and drinking. I can name 100 rock songs (70s era) that deal with sex, drugs, booze, suicide, ext..Ill do it too. I'm sorry, but you come off wanting to make a PG world and censor the blood and sex. I might not know a lot about the world, but I'm not blind and I know that's an ignorant thing to do. I'm all for letting kids be kids and let them watch cartoons ( much less violent then what I had and even you had, eg. cartoons today can't have guns...you watch Loony Toons ever? I can find so many suicide jokes and blowing people up jokes in Loony Toons!) Also if you don't want to watch the TV show then don't. This is not like in Clockwork Orange. I for one hate MTV, so I never go to that channel ergo I never get pissed about it. You need to look past the gore and sex stuff. If you don't want your kid seeing it then don't let him watch Cartoon Network at 11:30PM If he is older then 13 he already knows a lot more about sex stuff then you might think. That's implying you have a kid.

I don't think it'd be possible for the OP to have a kid older then 13 :P