Thread: Have I been wearing the wrong size?

Default Have I been wearing the wrong size?

I'm kinda confused... I have been buying Mediums (in everything) because my pant size is a 36".. but when I measure myself my two measurements are 40"Wst 41"Hip. Now I know this is a top medium / low large on the manufactures "scales" but I noticed that a lot of companies who have these sizing charts have a weight category along with size... If I go with just the sizing of the waist/hip I'm medium maybe large.. but if I factor my weight (190lbs) I'm in the large .. Any advice? I've tried google-ing "proper diaper size" etc.. but I can't really find anything that helps me, and I don't want to spend the money to have the wrong size show up and leak, or not fit right etc. etc..

Anyone else who has a waist/hip of ~40" with ~5'10" hight clocking in at around 190lbs and has tried both medium and large?

I know some people will say "get what fits best" but I don't know, I think the mediums work (sometimes I get leaks and the padding doesn't seem to come up as high on some brands) and before I spend ~$40with shipping on a new pack I want to find out what my brothers and sisters of the diaper community have done.

Thanks for the info.

Knom.

also depends a bit on the brand unfortunately... I am also in the range of both medium and large, bigger might give a more diaper feel but the fit is usually better with medium.

Some online suppliers have sample packages which might be a good idea.

I am pretty much exactly the same size as you and have often wondered the same thing, I might order some samples in large from a few companies and see how that goes.

I also have large thighs and I find all mediums to be lacking in that department. Overall mediums have worked fine for me, never tried large, but thought about it.

So far I have found that bambino mediums fit me better then anything else, molicare super plus mediums are decent, abena x-plus mediums don't fit me well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    I am pretty much exactly the same size as you and have often wondered the same thing, I might order some samples in large from a few companies and see how that goes.

I also have large thighs and I find all mediums to be lacking in that department. Overall mediums have worked fine for me, never tried large, but thought about it.

So far I have found that bambino mediums fit me better then anything else, molicare super plus mediums are decent, abena x-plus mediums don't fit me well at all.
    Yeah, I haven't tried bambino's but I have molicare (both super plus and super) in med and the super feels a little snug but still works ok, Attends med's are good, Tena med's are kinda tight and abena's xplus are find (air active) and the abri-wing are ok and the abri-flex are ok. Tranquilities seem ok, but I notice the padding doesn't com up to high and being a guy.. well that's cause for concern.

this has happen to me as well i wore for a week when i was in seattle and the bambinos i ordered were a med they short of cut into my skin so I i will be ordeing large in all the brands i like from now. my waist is only a 38 but its my thighs that cause the trouble

I am still trying to figure out my right size, too, but between small and med. I definitely need a small size when I buy the store brands, but I found the bambino smalls were kind of tight around the legs. The meds are ok, but a little on the big side. I can wear the Abena X-plus meds but I would like to try a small, if I can find one. Unfortunately, the place i ordered from only had med and large abenas. i am glad many of these places sell samples so we can figure it out without spenidng a ton of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambino4u View Post
    Unfortunately, the place i ordered from only had med and large abenas. i am glad many of these places sell samples so we can figure it out without spenidng a ton of money.
    @bambino4u: Check out xpmedical.com, they have the full Abena line in all sizes and you can get reasonably priced sample packs of the entire product line in pretty much every size.

Likewise to Knom, find somebody who sell sample packs of the diapers your looking at and order a medium and a large, then figure out what works for you. Chances are either will fit you and even if you do order the wrong size you will certainly be able to wear, use, and enjoy them, but more than likely one will fit you better.

I'm sorta in the same boat, but with small/ medium. My waist is small enough for a small, but my hips are about half an inch too big for a medium. I just go with the bigger size, and buy mediums.

Customizer

I have a 40-inch waist and weight 250 pounds with big hips. Large is slightly big on me, and I can barely squeeze into mediums for most mainstream manufacturers' products.

For your body size, I would definitely go with mediums. If you try Walgreens or Bambino/Secure X-Plus/Abena, large is too big.

Likewise to Knom, find somebody who sell sample packs of the diapers your looking at and order a medium and a large, then figure out what works for you
    Yeah, I just ordered some Secure X-Plus and Plus, a bag each in Med, but just for the question of it I also ordered a sample pack of each in large. I've read mostly good things about the Secure brand.. I hope they are as soft and "pampers-e" as people have been saying.