Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: what do you think of this?

Default what do you think of this?

Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani to be lashed over photograph | Metro.co.uk

I am sick about hearing about these barbarians in the news.

do you think the UK (and possibly other countries I'm not sure) should just stop paying attention to these people and their countries? (and GTHO if we are currently invading them)

Quote Originally Posted by MrPurple View Post
    do you think the UK (and possibly other countries I'm not sure) should just stop paying attention to these people and their countries? (and GTHO if we are currently invading them)
    That's a good idea. While we're at it, we should go back in time and NOT fight Germany. THAT'LL learn 'em.

I hope you realize how dumb it is to say "They're being bad! Maybe if we ignore them they'll stop". If you actually READ the article, the sentence was originally a DEATH sentence done by publicly THROWING STONES at her head, while she is buried in the ground, until she sustains so much damage she dies. The only reason it WASN'T carried through was the INTERNATIONAL outcry.

Well, I think my country should be more open to letting people in who are escaping the brutality of their part of the world. There have been many cases of such people seeking legal immigration only to get sent back to their certain deaths by the powers-that-be, and that is disgusting to me.

But outside of that, I think the US should focus more on the vast inhumanity happening in its own borders than trying to fix and police other countries.

A good movie to watch that tackles this subject is Manderlay. It is about a young woman who stumbles upon a plantation where slavery still exists, even after it had been abolished in the US. She then starts to take over and tries to improve the conditions there by forcing democracy down everybody's throat, and the results are disastrous. Gotta love Lars von Trier and his anti-US sensibilities. Heh.

I would love it if there were a simple solution that would wipe all acts of barbarity off the face of the planet, but it's just too fucking widespread and there is no cure-all that any government can concoct to make it work. Yeah, reading that news article saddened me, as does reading about most legal punishments in that part of the world. But the US does things are are just as cruel to people who break its laws - such as allowing them to be raped in prisons while the guards laugh at them, and things like that. The American legal justice system is a hotbed of pure sadism, where nobody really cares about the truth - everybody in it is more concerned about keeping their jobs and the power that comes with them than in doing the right thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    That's a good idea. While we're at it, we should go back in time and NOT fight Germany. THAT'LL learn 'em.

I hope you realize how dumb it is to say "They're being bad! Maybe if we ignore them they'll stop".
    I'm hoping you know the differences between worldwars 1 & 2 and the war in the middle east.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RebornKaworu View Post
    Well, I think my country should be more open to letting people in who are escaping the brutality of their part of the world. There have been many cases of such people seeking legal immigration only to get sent back to their certain deaths by the powers-that-be, and that is disgusting to me.
    in the uk our asylum system has resulted in every tom, dick and mohamed stealing all our money. they are even trying to bring their barbarianism into the country with that shiara law.

I'm hoping you know the differences between worldwars 1 & 2 and the war with the middle east.
    Your point was "Let's not write news stories about these guys, and get out of their countries". Public stoning would still happen. Lashings would STILL happen. The fact that western society writes about what's going on in the middle-east is one of the few things that actually PREVENTS these things from happening.

Also, I was referring to World War 2, in particular. World War 1 was completely unrelated to that point.

in the uk our asylum system has resulted in every tom, dick and mohamed stealing all our money. they are even trying to bring their barbarianism into the country with that shiara law.
    I know, you are right about that. Still, when I read stories of people escaping being stoned or lashed to death just for being human only to be deported back to their countries and executed - that rubs me the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    Your point was "Let's not write news stories about these guys, and get out of their countries". Public stoning would still happen. Lashings would STILL happen. The fact that western society writes about what's going on in the middle-east is one of the few things that actually PREVENTS these things from happening.

Also, I was referring to World War 2, in particular. World War 1 was completely unrelated to that point.
    want to know what will STOP the lashings, stonings etc? leaving those barberic morons to do it to each other. they are not children and they can only get change if its by themselves through their own means.

want to know what will STOP the lashings, stonings etc? leaving those barberic morons to do it to each other. they are not children and they can only get change if its by themselves through their own means.
    ...uh, no. They've been doing this for years. The thing is, the women are having children BEFORE they are killed, so the population stays up, and the children are taught that it is okay to do that. Your naivety on this is astounding. This has been going on since WAY before they were invaded, and international publicity is one of the only things preventing these things from continuing.

crazykittensmile

The reasons that stoning and other forms of punishment we would consider barbaric are happening in regions of the middle-east stems largely from the fact that they are working from a different moral, ethical and religious code from the majority of people in Westernised countries. Whilst you are right that they need to change it themselves, the way to promote that change is not necessarily by leaving them to work it out by their own means. Due to international outcry the decision to stone this lady was revoked - more situations of international outcry may work to change the opinions of people within the country, it probably won't change the way the current rulers and law-makers think, but it may cause younger generations (who generally are more open to changing their values etc) start to think, hold on, in some parts of the world this wouldn't be right. Small groups of people opposed to the way their leaders run the country begin to appear, themselves educating more people from within their own country. Over time the general opinion of the citizens and the people ruling the country change, which could lead to a nationwide change in the moral code and laws in the country. There is probably no quick fix to stop the stonings/lashings, but hopefully international reporting leads to outcry, which leads to an individuals sentence to a lashing/stoning being revoked, which leads to citizens in the country thinking "It's been stopped because it's wrong," which leads to them encouraging more people in their country to see it in that way, which eventually leads to change. In this way, international reporting will hopefully have the short term goal of saving somebody from treatment we would see as barbaric, and even death, and the long term goal of eventual change.

Quote Originally Posted by babyjess View Post
    The reasons that stoning and other forms of punishment we would consider barbaric are happening in regions of the middle-east stems largely from the fact that they ..... which eventually leads to change. In this way, international reporting will hopefully have the short term goal of saving somebody from treatment we would see as barbaric, and even death, and the long term goal of eventual change.
    according to a friend of mine whos dad works in the middle east, quite a few people think stoning is a family day out.

it should no be up to anyone but the people of the middle east to fix that.

(whom ever gave me bad rep, shame on you. I am allowed my own opinion)