Thread: Going to the doctor and I'm nervous. Looking for stories of people who have gone.

Default Going to the doctor and I'm nervous. Looking for stories of people who have gone.

Over the last three years my need to pee has gotten worse and worse. I can barely sit through some college class anymore without having to excuse myself. It's embarrassing and I feel like everyone notices. To make matters worse, when I get stressed I wet the bed. When I found out I'd have to have a roommate in my dorm room again after having one to myself I moved back home. I just couldn't take them finding out. First week of school and finals week are the worst.

I finally talked to my mom about it (rather she found out after an accident) and I'm making an appointment. Was wondering if those of you who have been can explain everything that will be done. I've read of some of the tests and at least one looks painful. :x

Also, I was wondering if anyone here shares my particular problem?

There are a number of tests that can be done to try and determine what is happening. I have had X-rays with contrast done to look at kidneys and bladder, and then done while urinating to ensure proper function. These are tests a regular doctor may order.

If you go to a urologist, urodynamics studies are easier--they have you drink a lot of water, then pee into a setup that measures flow and volume. This is followed by a quick ultrasound to see how much fluid is left in your bladder. Think the worst thing I ever had to deal with was a fiber-optic cable being run up into my bladder to ensure that there were no issues there. They use soap to lubricate it and it burns for a few days when you urinate. Most of the tests overall are not too painful, other than being poked for IV contrast or similar.

Honestly, the trouble you're fighting through is probably a lot worse than the tests.

When I found out I'd have to have a roommate in my dorm room again after having one to myself I moved back home.
    That really isn't the end of the world. If your roommate isn't a tool, he shouldn't be a problem. You might be able to discreetly handle things as well. (something like shower in the morning and dispose of things then, etc.) A few people I know actually had these issues as well. (including myself but nowhere near the extent)

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogRTO View Post
    There are a number of tests that can be done to try and determine what is happening. I have had X-rays with contrast done to look at kidneys and bladder, and then done while urinating to ensure proper function. These are tests a regular doctor may order.

If you go to a urologist, urodynamics studies are easier--they have you drink a lot of water, then pee into a setup that measures flow and volume. This is followed by a quick ultrasound to see how much fluid is left in your bladder. Think the worst thing I ever had to deal with was a fiber-optic cable being run up into my bladder to ensure that there were no issues there. They use soap to lubricate it and it burns for a few days when you urinate. Most of the tests overall are not too painful, other than being poked for IV contrast or similar.

Honestly, the trouble you're fighting through is probably a lot worse than the tests.
    Thank you. Setting it up now through a doctor now. I'm trying not to be nervous, but I can't help it. They have to be professional though and I'm sure they've dealt with way worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    That really isn't the end of the world. If your roommate isn't a tool, he shouldn't be a problem. You might be able to discreetly handle things as well. (something like shower in the morning and dispose of things then, etc.) A few people I know actually had these issues as well. (including myself but nowhere near the extent)
    I've only had roommates who were tools sadly. And my university sets you up with roommates in your major to try and promote a useful learning environment. I could deal with a roommate that I don't see every day finding out but would hate to have it held over me.

Ask to get a single, or look for a suite-style option. You don't have to share a room if you don't want to.

If it comes to it, ask to speak to the housing director and explain your situation. Colleges are generally pretty damn disability-aware these days and I can't imagine they don't have a way of providing privacy for bedwetting students.

Quote Originally Posted by polarbaby View Post
    Ask to get a single, or look for a suite-style option. You don't have to share a room if you don't want to.

If it comes to it, ask to speak to the housing director and explain your situation. Colleges are generally pretty damn disability-aware these days and I can't imagine they don't have a way of providing privacy for bedwetting students.
    Not all colleges are the same. Mine has such space problems that they have overflow rooms where more than two students share the room until people drop out and there is space. Every Fall they deal with this, but by spring it gets easier and sometimes you get a room to yourself.

Anyway, just got back from the doctor. Nerves were fine, urine showed nothing, and I have ultrasound set up for Thursday. It was embarrassing talking to so many people about it. Glad I went though. Hope to find out more Thursday.

Talking to professionals is not embarrassing. I agree, when you are 22 and in college dealing with incontinence is hard, specially in front of fellow students. But it is not like pre-school times anymore. You are adults. It's a handicap and you have to accept it like that. Does someone in a wheelchair has to excuse him or herself for it? Or go explain things up front? It's no different for you. It's not your fault you have incontinence problems, it's a medical issue. Being ashamed of it only makes things worse. Been there done that. Learn to live with it. Your friends will not shame you.

I have been through the tests for incontinence twice in the past and was scheduled to have another just last year when I asked my primary doctor why it was neccary. ( I think he needed the money for his vacation)( and they say doctors don't get kick backs any more) ( yeah right )
    After all after the first two test where donr the results where the same, nerves controling the bladder are dead, which equals no bladder control.
    The most painfull was the scope up the penis, as mentioned befor, it hurt to pee for about 2 weeks afterwards, but that went away in time also.

I have told my doctor that I have found a way to keep my bladder in check, however he does not like how I do it and offers to do surgery and place a valve in me so I can empty my bladder every couple of hours as needed.

I told him that if I go back drinking fluids normaly, I would have to go back to wearing diapers 24/7 and with the price of adult diapers constantly on the rise that was not going to happen any time soon.

I wear diapers most days now for those accidents but have learned to control my bladder function by limiting the amount of fluids I drink.

Quote Originally Posted by lonnie View Post
    ...The most painfull was the scope up the penis, as mentioned before, it hurt to pee for about 2 weeks afterwards, but that went away in time also...
    I've been examined that way too and it wasn't painful at all. Except for a little shock when they entered the bladder. And believe me I was nervous up front. They used lubricant with pain killing ingredients. Also water coming out of the scope opened up the way for it.