Thread: Saints & Sin Eaters

Default Saints & Sin Eaters

I am a huge fan of violent media. Cinema, comics, TV, music, video games, pro wrestling, UFC, the lot.

Some of my favorite things in violent media are the characters with a just cause.

In pro wrestling there have been two cult like factions with a just cause (as those characters saw it). The early 2000s faction lead by Steven Richards known as Right to Censor (who championed the cause of censor the industry of sexually suggestive material), and the current (and my favorite) lead by CM Punk, the Straight Edge Society (who champion the cause of spreading the hardline version of the Straight Edge philosophy).

In comics it is characters like Magneto, who fights for his version of equality between man & mutant, for the sake of sparing mutantkind the same genocide perpetrated on the European Jews at the hands of the Nazis, and the Sin Eater, a serial killer who murders people he feels are sinners (lawyers who get killers off, and officials who take bribes) and deserve death. Though my favorite in the medium of comics is The Spectre, the living embodiment of god's rage and spirit of his vengeance. In one of my favorite issues, he appears in the skies above the entire state of New York and declares he will kill every man, woman, and child of the state of New York if a wrongfully convicted man's death sentence handed down by the people of the state is carried out. (His logic being that "the people of the state of New York murdered an innocent man.)

The most well known characters in this archetype are those in the medium of film. The Saints (Boondock Saints), John Doe (Se7en), and [my favorite] John Kramer aka Jigsaw (Saw) are probably the most well known in contemporary films.

I like these characters because (with the exception of the RTC, and to a lesser exception the SES) I agree with them. I think every city in this country needs someone like The Saints, John Doe, or Jigsaw.

If you were to sit on the jury in a trial where one has taken the life of someone who had murdered an innocent person, in anyway sexually abused a child, raped someone, or maybe even less extreme but (in my mind no less despicable) was a drug dealer(someone who profited from the weakness and eventual death of another human being), would you convict that person?

Am I alone in thinking that the world could benefit from a return to the trend of "old school justice"?

These are the kind of thoughts the go through my head when the insomnia is on an upswing and I am sleeping two hours every twenty four.

In short, yes I would find that person guilty of the crime.

There are, however, a few things to keep in mind.

One, as a juror, my only job is to decide if, beyond a reasonable doubt, if a person commmitted a crime. What his or her sentence is, is up to the judge.

Second, in the USA, we are a nation of laws, and as such, a person is presumed innocen until proven guilty. Cowboy justice is simply not how we do things here. Besides, there are very, very few cases of a person being let off on a technicality on capital offenses.

You just don't take the law into your own hands.

I have more to say, but I need to get back to work from break now.

You're right, it's not how we do things, and sometimes I hear stories and it makes me sad that is case.

For example, a teenager in Ohio (I believe) killed his rapist, and got a rather heavy sentence. That is not justice.

I totally agree with you hush, I look up to Frank Castle AKA The Punisher, his "old school justice" is what we could use in modern society. Also is your name a reference to the Batman villain? But yah "Si Vis Pacem Parabellum" "If you want peace, prepare for war" the very words I live by are very similar "If you want peace, seek justice"

Crime rates have done nothing but decline over the decades despite having a ridiculously fucked up prison system. What good do you think vigilantism would actually accomplish? Do you know what has lowered crime rates universally over the years? Better standards of living and better social support for individuals. It sounds like you have been reading to many comics/watching to much Law and Order.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I totally agree with you hush, I look up to Frank Castle AKA The Punisher, his "old school justice" is what we could use in modern society. Also is your name a reference to the Batman villain? But yah "Si Vis Pacem Parabellum" "If you want peace, prepare for war" the very words I live by are very similar "If you want peace, seek justice"
    LoL Now your message to me makes more sense. I didn't make the connection between this post, and your asking me that. LoL

Yeah. You are the ONLY person that has got that right off the bat(no pun intended), my name is reference to that villain. The reason I chose this as my name for AB sites is a joke within the joke. I would elaborate, but opt not to do so publicly for fear of misinterpretation resulting in unintentionally offending someone.

First off the CYA: We are a nation of laws made by and for the people and these laws should be followed at all times.

Second: I am a very large believer in a persons RIGHT to self defense to the degree of taking the violators life IF this is the ONLY course of action to defend your life or another persons whose is in DIRECT threat. This said, I also believe that things MUST to taken on a case by case basis.

Revenge shall always weigh heavy on the heart and is not good for the soul. However If I was sitting counsel for a person who killed another person for a heinous crime against them and I had OVERWHELMING evidence that the original crime was indeed committed then I would be swayed to release that person back into society and offer them counseling for both their victimization and their act of revenge.

Taking any life is a very sad thing but when a person loses regard for their fellow human being then they lose their usefulness to our species, and that is also a very sad thing.
    Last edited by Benji; 29-Aug-2010 at 07:54. Reason: accidently posted before finished.

Quote Originally Posted by frillyfoxy View Post
    It sounds like you have been reading to many comics/watching to much Law and Order.
    I am not sure I think one could ever do either of those too much. I know I LOVE SVU.

Here's the thing, I was a victim of all kinds of abuse as a kid. I would be lying if I said I were not angry. That notwithstanding I am have not the heart to engage in such violence simply because I don't feature EVER being locked up, and because I think doing so would turn me into someone I know is in contradiction to the person I am meant to be. That being said, I would not condemn anyone for doing what I wish I could.

Some people, violent criminals, violent sexual criminals, and drugs dealers, do not deserve the compassion that I would extend to others who do not fall under those categories. I am sure many will disagree with me, and just as many will SAY they do, but I don't think i should be ashamed of feeling this way. I also think that any one who has been through what I have, what most of the people who make up the family I have built, have endured, or had a loved one who has, would be inclined to agree with me.