Thread: College Students...be careful with what you put in your room

Default College Students...be careful with what you put in your room

So, today on campus, our school did something new and cool. They did was is called a mock burn. Over the last couple weeks, the housing office has been collecting stuff from the staff to use in this mock burn. They then had the maintenance staff build two "mock" student rooms. They put stuff in there that students would have in their room.

They then had the local fire department "start" the fire in the students room. They had two different styles of rooms, one with a fire sprinkler system, and one with out. They started with the one with out the system, and it was a slow start, but eventually the window broke and then the fire basically jumped from one side of the room to the other and the room was basically done with. The fire department then simulated how long it would take for them to get there from the closest fire station.

Everything in the room was gone...it was trashed.

The other one, didn't go nearly as fast as when it hit about 115 degrees in the room, the sprinkler system activated, and for the most part put out the fire. They thought it was completely put out and ended it early, but it would of put it out.

It just goes to show, but careful in your room and watch what you are doing in your room.

Quote Originally Posted by moocow View Post
    when it hit about 115 degrees in the room, the sprinkler system activated,
    The sprinkler system is activated when the room reaches 115F? That seems like a bad design. An un-air-conditioned room could easily reach that temp in the peek of the summer.

I think at that point you'd be more than grateful for the sprinklers.

Your diapers would burn and melt...

Then explode.

Quote Originally Posted by Tweek View Post
    The sprinkler system is activated when the room reaches 115F? That seems like a bad design. An un-air-conditioned room could easily reach that temp in the peek of the summer.
    might of misheard...could of been 155....don't remember. And even though it's hot down here, they would have the AC fixed before it got that hot...but I can be wrong. Let me do some research and see if I can find the right temp

turns out, they don't even make heads that go that low...the lowest temp I saw was 135.

http://www.day-impex.co.uk/sprinkler.aspx

I am going to go with 155

I guess the newspaper works fast. Video from the mock-burn that was done at 7PM EST

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4agX0CeziU4
    Last edited by moocow; 26-Aug-2010 at 04:40. Reason: grammer and adding stuff

Quote Originally Posted by moocow View Post
    might of misheard...could of been 155....don't remember. And even though it's hot down here, they would have the AC fixed before it got that hot...but I can be wrong. Let me do some research and see if I can find the right temp

turns out, they don't even make heads that go that low...the lowest temp I saw was 135.

Day Impex

I am going to go with 155

I guess the newspaper works fast. Video from the mock-burn that was done at 7PM EST

YouTube - Residence Hall Room Mock Burn at Georgia Southern
    Yeah, 115 would have been a really low temp. There are around 5 or 6 different temperature ratings for those bulbs that activate the sprinkler systems, the most common is 155 I believe. Exercises like this really go to show how effective a fire suppression system can be, it explains why residential sprinkler systems are becoming more and more common, they're definitely a life saving device.