Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with Kubuntu?

Default Help with Kubuntu?

I've installed it on my laptop, but whenever I start it, I get that command thing that quits when I type 'exit', then I get a few error messages on a black screen with only one, blank window that doesn't seem to do anything.

If you need to know which errors there are, I'll look at them tomorrow, I don't feel like doing it today, but my father (which is a database programmer who already used Linux) thinks maybe there's something I need to configure before using it, though I have no clue on what I'm supposed to do.

I've never tried Linux before, I just wanted to install Kubuntu so I could eventually learn.

What model is your laptop? How old is it? Ubuntu is very hard to get working on laptops. My HP dv6000 series actually only let me install with WUBI. Search google for it. But wubi installs from inside Windows. So, put windows on the laptop and then install wubi. And it'll auto add the partitions, etc. It's easier for new users to linux.

Also check out Ubuntu Forums. Search google for it. It'll be like top 1 lol.

Errors would be good. In my experience *ubuntu is one of the best distributions for laptop compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
    What model is your laptop? How old is it? Ubuntu is very hard to get working on laptops. My HP dv6000 series actually only let me install with WUBI. Search google for it. But wubi installs from inside Windows. So, put windows on the laptop and then install wubi. And it'll auto add the partitions, etc. It's easier for new users to linux.

Also check out Ubuntu Forums. Search google for it. It'll be like top 1 lol.
    It's a Windows Vista Home Premium that I bought last November.

****, I can't attach my DxDiag.

Double post.

I tried installing Ubuntu instead.
    It does the same thing.

First, it goes in BusyBox and I have to type 'exit' while having the CD in the drive (sometimes more than once) to make it start.
    Then I see a wallpaper and a window saying 'Verifying Installation' or something. When it gets to 100%, I get that error saying 'No root file system is defined, please correct this from the partitioning menu.'

When you set up your partitions did you set one to mount as / ?

Quote Originally Posted by chevre View Post
    When you set up your partitions did you set one to mount as / ?
    I didn't set up any partition or seen anything related to that during the installation process.

Most laptops have this thing that keeps them as vista only now. My brothers did and he managed a way around it.

Ubuntu Forums has an EXCELLENT guide on it. I think it's for any dv9000 to 6000 series laptops. Or just boot into Vista and install wubi. It'll work fine as it auto setups Ubuntu as a dual boot.

Quote Originally Posted by genbaby View Post
    Most laptops have this thing that keeps them as vista only now. My brothers did and he managed a way around it.
    That seems unlikely. Where did you hear this?

Darksun, does the livecd boot okay?