Thread: Telling?

Default Telling?

If I tell my psych. that I tried to kill myself 4 years ago, can she report me to the authorities? I want to tell her about that "episode", but am scared that I will be imprisoned.

No. She's obligated to tell the authorities if she thinks you pose a danger to yourself or someone else now or in the future, but a failed suicide attempt 4 years ago is something that she's likely bound ethically to keep to herself (unless you're a minor, in which case she might have to tell your parents, I'm not sure how that works). It will likely give her real, legitimate concern about your current emotional state, but unless you've given her reason to think you'd try again (in which case, your past attempts wouldn't make much difference), she won't tell anyone who doesn't need to know.

I can guess that she'd likely be very pleased with you telling her, to be quite honest. Opening up with that level of trust would likely be seen as a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    If I tell my psych. that I tried to kill myself 4 years ago, can she report me to the authorities? I want to tell her about that "episode", but am scared that I will be imprisoned.
    Nope, you won't get detained. If you are still living with your parents or if they find some abuse marks, they will though. Trust me,four years ago is a lot of time, and I doubt she'll count you for that unless it's still bothering you.

Attempting to kill yourself isn't illegal. If you were currently suicidal, she could have you admitted to hospital, in order to get you the help that you needed, and to prevent you from doing it. Only good things can come of talking about this with your therapist.

so, if i mentioned that incident and said, for example, that i had thought about dying say...3 weeks ago, would that be grounds for imprisonment?

Butterfly Mage

I told my counselor about a failed suicide attempt and she did not report me. Also, she would only be obligated to take action if you were suicidal at the time you were talking to her. Additionally, you wouldn't be imprisoned, you would be hospitalized. Once you were stabilized (can be only a few days) you would be discharged from the hospital.

You don't have anything to worry about

so, if i mentioned that incident and said, for example, that i had thought about dying say...3 weeks ago, would that be grounds for imprisonment?
    Well, there is a difference (however slight it may be) between being placed in a treatment facility and "imprisonment." Depending on what you said and how she thinks, she might decide (if you told her you had a plan and everything for it) that you were still a risk to yourself, and have you hospitalized. But if you're talking about something that happened years ago, you would not need to worry about that. There's no "authorities" to report you to over something that happened years ago, there are no laws against suicide attempts, only laws allowing your psych to refer you to a hospital if she feels you are an immediate danger to yourself. If you're talking about something that happened three weeks ago, she might need to ask a few questions to determine if you are OK now. If it happened four years ago, the thought of whether to suggest hospitalization shouldn't even cross her mind.

You will not be sent to jail. You should be honest and if you are truly seeking help then they will help you though the situation and do what is in your best interest for the safety of you and those around you.

In most cases they are they to help you resolve the situations that resulting in difficulties. If you want them to help them that is why you go to their office.

No, she cannot report this to the authorities. There are no grounds.

Nope.

I'm still waiting to hear about active ideation. You should go and tell your "psych." about these events, and the state of mind you were in at the times as well as what led up to these thoughts. If CBT is employed, this will be very good information to have and use in the course of treatment.