Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are You Limited In Your Opinions Concerning Posts

Default Are You Limited In Your Opinions Concerning Posts

Now this isn't really a Mature Topics thread but more one that outlines all others. When you post here, or rather in any other forum are you ever limited in your opinions? I have been here on the site for almost two years and I have met a bunch of characters here on the site. Many will share similar interests and views, and some the opposite. I know that every post here must come with respect towards the other members of the site and it being respectful overall, but do you ever feel limited in how you post here to either prevent retaliation, drama, and/or negative rep? Keep in mind that at the same time expressing your opinion on the site can't be "Fuck you" and "Fuck your ideas". But I am interested in how members here post here consciously and what thoughts lead them to what they post here.

Of course, considering there's a good number of people on this site with very different backgrounds the odds of not pissing off a single person seems rather remote to me. Plus it's always good to keep your feelings bottled up inside and let no one else know about them (sarcasm), so to avoid that you'll get people talking behind other peoples backs, just like people do in real life.

I'm pretty sure I pissed someone off with that stupid sarcasm too and I have no idea why they would be pissed off about it.

I am, mostly in regards to things political. It has less to do with negative rep, and more to do with the age and demographics spread of the site. Trying to change someones mind on a topic takes a lot of time, and effort, that I am honestly not willing to put in 99% of the time. I normally back off in that case because it just becomes a lot of noise otherwise. Some people have no problem throwing out ill informed positions, but that isn't my thing.

Sometimes I hold back and sometimes I throw caution to the wind. There have been a few really funny responses I've written and then not sent because I know that some of our members are fragile, and I really don't want them to feel bad about themselves. There was one post that I said,"Christ and diapers don't really mix" simply because the post had been like so many before, another poopy diaper post.

We have been asked by the mods to be respectful of others and so I do think we have a responsibility to uphold that and keep adisc at a higher level than the other diaper sites. In addition, we are a help site, so I would rather put my efforts to that than respond by saying such and such poster is an idiot, even if I think it.

LilLillyKitten

Well fuck you and fuck your ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    Well fuck you and fuck your ideas...

^ I agree with this statement.

acorn

You are very wrong here, as this is a mature topic thread. Though it is probably too mature for most mature topic readers, myself included. We all have our bad days and this can often be seen in the quality of our posts. A lot of hurt can be caused by negative rep, when all that is really required is to ask the poster to edit the offending post. It is my opinion that in promoting a take no prisoners stance, we will produce battle hardened veterans who then will only post in a defensive style. The end result is the loss of the support, in our support community. This is not in any way an attempt to support some of the posts and antics of the last week.

All to often our mature readers forget that though the language is common, it is also very regional, as also, is humour. A good example of this for me was a poster who explained why not to use the word faggot, a winning argument presented. This poster made me laugh when they then used the word cracker. Where I live this word has two meanings. To say a joke is a cracker, is to say it is a (very) good joke. This same word when used in association with a person is very offensive. In my PC society the Travelling Community or Gypsies can no longer be called knackers. So the result is the introduction of a corruption of the name, knackers = crackers. I did not see fit to correct this person with flame, drama or a knife in the back. For all they may know, may be that, Ireland is the fourth rock from the sun. I am also inclined to think that it is a bridge too far to expect non natives to have a working knowledge of Irish slang, boy.

Some people do not seem to realise that there is a personality with a keyboard communicating with them. They would rather believe it their computer talking to them. So while clicking on the submit post button, it helps to be going through a transient phase of having a cavalier attitude to life and limb. Boy - if you donít know, Iím not telling. Ha!

I do not feel any need to limit my opinions on this site, though I will say that I am periodically time-limited and will for that reason either not post or post much less than I would like.

I am careful as to how I present my opinions. I am very careful to present things that would be offensive without careful wording with the needed careful wording. I avoid making direct insults or value judgments about specific posters, and I take care not to cross the line to flaming posters who I directly address in my own posts. Such would be ad hominem, and wouldn't add to my argument anyway.

I have no problem using swears and such as expressive language in my day-to-day life, but I find them to be general detriments to communicating serious arguments, so I don't use them when I'm thinking thinks out and being serious, as is the case when doing most of my posting.

You could reasonably argue that, while I've stated that I don't feel constrained, I've admitted to a bunch of caveats regarding ways in which I do not post. I would counter that I do not do those things because I don't think they add to my posts in absolute terms, rather than that I feel constrained.

I don't actively fear neg-rep because my posting style follows the rules and doesn't run a high risk of getting it. I have enough rep that the idea of gaining rep doesn't factor in what I post whatsoever, though I'm fairly well aware of when I've made posts that are likely to get +rep, and I'm certainly happy to get it when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by tk7432 View Post
    Now this isn't really a Mature Topics thread but more one that outlines all others. When you post here, or rather in any other forum are you ever limited in your opinions? I have been here on the site for almost two years and I have met a bunch of characters here on the site. Many will share similar interests and views, and some the opposite. I know that every post here must come with respect towards the other members of the site and it being respectful overall, but do you ever feel limited in how you post here to either prevent retaliation, drama, and/or negative rep? Keep in mind that at the same time expressing your opinion on the site can't be "Fuck you" and "Fuck your ideas". But I am interested in how members here post here consciously and what thoughts lead them to what they post here.
    The phrasing of things sometimes is mangled when I post.

I naturally assume that everyone has a really well-read and -considered background--after all, who doesn't forgo the Material world to explore that of Ideas?--and this has come back to nail me. Most recently, it was something silly and small--the naming of something--but it seems that someone took a great deal of umbrage to it (and didn't leave a name, grr), possibly because they thought I was saying that it didn't exist. : /

So. I am usually quite measured. This does not mean that I do not have opinions and share them here. And at times, this flatness and knowledge might be misconstrued as an attack or what have you, but it is isn't. I seek to bring information--as well as the path to information--and sometimes this causes pain. : /

Quote Originally Posted by h3g3l View Post
    I naturally assume that everyone has a really well-read and -considered background--after all, who doesn't forgo the Material world to explore that of Ideas?--and this has come back to nail me. Most recently, it was something silly and small--the naming of something--but it seems that someone took a great deal of umbrage to it (and didn't leave a name, grr), possibly because they thought I was saying that it didn't exist. : /

So. I am usually quite measured. This does not mean that I do not have opinions and share them here. And at times, this flatness and knowledge might be misconstrued as an attack or what have you, but it is isn't. I seek to bring information--as well as the path to information--and sometimes this causes pain. : /
    But in my opinion, this is normal. We're people, and people disagree. People may disagree vociferously. That's life and I don't see what's wrong with it. I may not like someone else's ideas. But I dislike the idea that I shouldn't argue a point because it wouldn't be polite to do so. Honestly? Fuck that. If I have an opinion on something I feel entitled to share it, so long as it isn't capricious.

That said, there's something for respect. I'll argue with someone vehemently when I disagree. It doesn't mean I don't respect the person making the opposing point. The only time I (personally) feel I lose it is if I'm arguing with someone who misrepresents my points when returning debate. To me, that's not just insulting, it's downright deceitful.

---------- Post added at 06:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 AM ----------

Another thing that happened on another board (not ADISC) recently. I'm present on a sports message board where we debate various issues. When someone challenges a point I make, I don't just reiterate my points in a different way. I usually take my original point, run some statistical tests using real-life data, and let it speak for itself. Once last winter I did this an someone else (not the person I was in a disagreement in) said the fact I did so "reeks of academic snobbery." He went on to tell me that disagreeing was fine, but using statistical models that someone else without my knowledge of data manipulation wouldn't be able to adequately respond to was essentially throwing around the fact I have a good education to lord over people I disagree with.

Well, of course someone whose never had to use statistical models in class or real life probably won't be able to respond adequately to them. But I miss where that becomes my problem. If I have opinions and a strong ability to support them quantitatively, should I not do so because people who disagree with me may not be able to?