Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Painful' Diapers

Default 'Painful' Diapers

Ok, I'll start with the standards; Sorry if this topic already exists, did a search and couldn't find it, merge/move/delete if it does, etc (all with full respect and pleasantries, naturally ).

Right, now that's out of the way;

I've been having a bit of a problem lately, my chemist has run out of the diapers I usually use (been about 3 weeks since they had any in, trouble at the warehouse, donchaknow), so I've been forced to use a backup plan (I've got many backups for every one of my plans... but that's another story) of using some Tena Flex (almost identical to Abriform Airwing, if that helps).

The problem I'm having is that I'm finding them extremely uncomfortable compared to the Tena Slip (my usual). The velcro pads cut and chafe, their loose nature pulls the corner of the pads and dig into my skin and whenever I can get them tight they are way too tight (they seem to have no 'comfortably snug' fit... they're always either too tight or too loose).

I've tried folding the belt section over to separate the pads from the skin, I've tried cutting the corners of the pads off, I've even tried padding the belt area out with soft cloth and that just rode free before it could be of any use, I've tried wearing them loose and I've tried wearing them tight and they're always uncomfortable for me.

Generally, what I'm asking here is this; What diapers do people have physical comfort issues with, have you found a way to deal with it successfully and, most importantly (for me, at least, ), is it possible to get Tena Flex to fit without chafing?
    Last edited by GoodDog; 21-Aug-2010 at 03:05.

Part of it seems to just be physically getting used to it. When I first started wearing for example, I had serious problems with the cuffs being uncomfortably tight at the crotch, and as a result I had a dangerously loose fit. Now, I can pull them banjo tight and it doesn't bother me in the least. Maybe you just need to get used to the change?

Tried basics like powder and lotion? I also found when I started that I needed a lot of powder because my skin tended to sweat heavily whenever I was padded. Now my skin's gotten used to being padded and I only use a little (if any) powder to stay cool and dry.

Thanks for the advice... but unfortunately even that has limited effect with these diapers.
    Abundant lotion/oil and powder do help a little with the tightness and chafing-around-the-legs issues (and I'm talking around 2-3 times what I'd use with any other diaper) but the sharp edges and corners of the unbelievably-stiff-for-their-thickness velcro sections still dig in like razors no matter what I try... but when I say tightness I really mean it. With these things there seem to be two choices as far as I can tell; there's the 'drooping even though empty and will leak' fit and the 'remember when my legs had circulation?' fit.

I suspect that when it comes to the velcro thing I may have to just put up with it and only use the Flex as a backup when my usual is out of stock (somewhat of a rare occurence anyway).

I'm just a little confused by the problems. But then again, I didn't read the post very clearly.....
    Have you tried a bigger size?
    It probably is just that you need you get used to them. I wasn't fond of the Abena X-Plusses when i first got a pack. I thought the plastic was too rough, and that the tapes suck. Now I love them!

I have found that many lower end diapers will have this sort of problem for me. Depend Fitted Briefs for me are horrible things to wear. Every time I have had one on in the last several years I have found that the elastic on the legs cuts in as I move around, and I wind up with red marks all over my legs and thighs. They are NASTY things and I will never go back to them.

vantran

Yes never ever wear Tena Flex. It';s the worst of all Tena--along with Tena Pants

I think that everyone needs to realize that certain brands / styles of diapers ( and pull-ons as well ) will fit each person differently. What works well for me, may fit wrong on someone else. We are fortunate these days to have so many choices, that finding the perfect fit is possible in most cases for just about everyone.

As far as "painful" diapers go, I have not found too many that I would consider that way in terms of fit. I do know that for me, there is one brand that I just can't use due to how my body reacts to the material inside the diaper. That brand is Tranquility . The Peach Mat inner lining ( that they are real proud of ) gives me a pretty bad skin reaction every time I have tried one. I know lots of people use them with no issues at all, so it must be just how I react to them. That does not make it a "bad" diaper in general; it is merely an example of how one particular brand can be an issue for someone, but not for the majority of people that use them.

Regards, Laurie

Jam6i

I think if the diaper you are wearing is painful, you should lay off the Big Macs and lose some weight. This same logic applies to any article of clothing. If one were to come up to you and ask a soltion to your pants cutting into your waist you would say either A.) Lose weight fatty or B.) Buy bigger pants.

So maybe buy bigger diapers? Some women out there like fatter guys so no worries, as there's love for everyone no matter your girth.

Sorry, guys, had to be busy for a little while, thanks for the responses, I'll answer/clear up what I can here.

Quote Originally Posted by Me :p View Post
    I'm just a little confused by the problems. But then again, I didn't read the post very clearly.....
    Have you tried a bigger size?
    It probably is just that you need you get used to them. I wasn't fond of the Abena X-Plusses when i first got a pack. I thought the plastic was too rough, and that the tapes suck. Now I love them!
    Sorry, that was me not being too clear... for some reason (probably tiredness) I thought that everyone would know what I meant when I compared them to Airwing.
    Basically, these don't fit like 'normal' diapers. They have a 'belt' that comes round from the back and fixes to itself at the front with a velcro pad that has edges and corners like razorblades. The front of the diaper then folds under and up and fixes to the belt with similar velcro pads.
    If I wear it loose the weight pulls the velcro pads down, into the skin and cuts in, if I wear it tight it just draws them straight into the skin. As I mentioned, there doesn't seem to be any happy medium between the two either, it goes straight from 'too loose' to 'too tight' if you try to adjust it.

Quote Originally Posted by vantran View Post
    Yes never ever wear Tena Flex. It';s the worst of all Tena--along with Tena Pants
    I think this is answered pretty much by the following.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriemsr View Post
    I think that everyone needs to realize that certain brands / styles of diapers ( and pull-ons as well ) will fit each person differently. What works well for me, may fit wrong on someone else. We are fortunate these days to have so many choices, that finding the perfect fit is possible in most cases for just about everyone.

As far as "painful" diapers go, I have not found too many that I would consider that way in terms of fit. I do know that for me, there is one brand that I just can't use due to how my body reacts to the material inside the diaper. That brand is Tranquility . The Peach Mat inner lining ( that they are real proud of ) gives me a pretty bad skin reaction every time I have tried one. I know lots of people use them with no issues at all, so it must be just how I react to them. That does not make it a "bad" diaper in general; it is merely an example of how one particular brand can be an issue for someone, but not for the majority of people that use them.

Regards, Laurie
    I know that Flex isn't bad, per se, I've read many reviews of it being absolutely excellent for the convenience and speed with which they can be changed... it's just that I can't find a way of wearing them without getting unintended surgery around my waist and I was wondering if anyone else who'd found the same problem (as I'd assume from Vantran's post) had found a way around it.
    Size isn't really the issue. Forgot to mention that I've tried large as well as medium, just in case, and they were just too loose... or way too loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Jam6i View Post
    I think if the diaper you are wearing is painful, you should lay off the Big Macs and lose some weight. This same logic applies to any article of clothing. If one were to come up to you and ask a soltion to your pants cutting into your waist you would say either A.) Lose weight fatty or B.) Buy bigger pants.

So maybe buy bigger diapers? Some women out there like fatter guys so no worries, as there's love for everyone no matter your girth.
    Wow... you didn't even consider trying to be a bit tactful there, didja? I ain't overweight, buddy... might have wanted to check up on that before you jumped in with your not-exactly-subtle 'contribution'.
    As I stated, these flex can be either too tight, or too loose, size is not the issue (neither my size, nor the diaper's).
    The whole 'pants cutting in argument'; ok, I might have been a bit clearer in my original post, but I did state it was the velcro pads that cut in. Combine that with the 'too loose' statement and I'm afraid it doesn't take a huge leap of logic to get to the answer that it ain't 'cuz I can't put down the fork.
    Y'know, I once gave you the benefit of the doubt, thought that the -13 rep may have been because of an 'unfortunately placed topic' or two that I happened to spot and unfortunate results thereof... but after that barely veiled (passive) aggressive statement at the end of your post there... I'm afraid I can kinda see why it's there.
    Maybe, in the future, if a post could very easily be seen as offensive you might wanna either check up on the details and then put it a bit more tactfully, or bite your proverbial tongue and maybe just move on to the next topic.
    Last edited by GoodDog; 22-Aug-2010 at 18:29. Reason: Spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by Jam6i View Post

Quote Originally Posted by GoodDog View Post
    Wow... you didn't even consider trying to be a bit tactful there, didja? I ain't overweight, buddy... might have wanted to check up on that before you jumped in with your not-exactly-subtle 'contribution'.
    As I stated, these flex can be either too tight, or too loose, size is not the issue (neither my size, nor the diaper's).
    The whole 'pants cutting in argument'; ok, I might have been a bit clearer in my origingal post, but I did state it was the velcro pads that cut in. Combine that with the 'too loose' statement and I'm afraid it doesn't take a huge leap of logic to get to the answer that it ain't 'cuz I can't put down the fork.
    Y'know, I once gave you the benefit of the doubt, thought that the -13 rep may have been because of an 'unfortunately placed topic' or two that I happened to spot and unfortunate results thereof... but after that barely veiled (passive) aggressive statement at the end of your post there... I'm afraid I can kinda see why it's there.
    Maybe, in the future, if a post could very easily be seen as offensive you might wanna either check up on the details and then put it a bit more tactfully, or bit your proverbial tongue and maybe just move on to the next topic.
    I'll have to echo GoodDog on this one. This is not about the diaper I am wearing being too small; instead it is about the design of the diaper that causes discomfort. The diapers I wear overlap quite well around the waist and legs.

What I have found is that the same sizing for another diaper does not cut in to my legs at all. This difference comes from the fact that one diaper has a wide piece of soft elastic around the leg cuffs and I can get a good, leak-free fit without any pain. The diapers that are painful use a single or double elastic thread that combines with the plastic to give a 'saw' effect as I move. OUCH!!!

Again, I have heard others say that they have had no trouble with these diapers at all. A lot of the time it is just how each diaper fits someone. The world is not made up of perfectly sized bodies everywhere.