Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Question

Default College Question

I will be starting college in 2 weeks and the most prevalent thought on my mind is...how will i make friends? The last friend I made was 5 years ago, so I kind of have forgotten how to make friends. For those of you who have gone through your Freshman year in college, how did you make friends?

Please, I could really use some insight.

Note, I will be commuting and living at home, so no dorm living for me.
    Last edited by diaperedteenager; 19-Aug-2010 at 04:07.

do you frequently talk to people?

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:48 PM ----------

ok, let me be more clear, from what I usually do when I make friends is talk to people. See if we have stuff in common, then hang out with them. That plan is the usual way most people make friends.

Just go to events in your school and find people with shared interests. Its not that hard and most people in school aren't the jerkoffs that reside in high schools. I was at orientation and I met a lot of people within my major that we got along with. Just don't seem desperate and try and stalk people. It takes time to make a crew of friends.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    I will be starting college in 2 weeks and the most prevalent thought on my mind is...how will i make friends?
    The beauty of this is that the same thought is also on the mind of... pretty much everyone else starting college. It won't be difficult to make dozens of acquaintances just in the first few days, especially if you're starting out living in a dorm. Just talk to people, I guarantee most everybody will be interested in talking as well (what's your major, where are you from, where are you living now, etc, etc). Through all the small talk, you'll find common interests with at least some of these people, and from there... becoming friends just tends to happen, and it ranges from buddies to party and hang out with to long-lasting friendships.

Quote Originally Posted by diaperedteenager View Post
    I will be starting college in 2 weeks and the most prevalent thought on my mind is...how will i make friends? The last friend I made was 5 years ago, so I kind of have forgotten how to make friends. For those of you who have gone through your Freshman year in college, how did you make friends?

Please, I could really use some insight.

Note, I will be commuting and living at home, so no dorm living for me.
    I was on a floor with a bunch of guys from my major so we all just hung out together. Also just sit down for the first few weeks with different people for meals and you can make a ton of friends. Even if you commute try to go to some events put on by your school since you can meet people there.

A ton of my friends are commuters who I met while doing work in the labs.

1. Talk to other people.
    2. Find people who you get along with and/or share interests with.
    3. Continue to talk with those people.
    4. Add these people on Facebook
    5. Do fun and friendly activities with those people.
    6. Get drunk with these people and engage in random sexual experimentation.
    6. Continue to do fun and friendly activities with these people who are now your friends.

I'm super shy and didn't meet too many people Freshman year, but last year (Sophomore year) I would talk to the people in my classes about the classwork and it would eventually lead to other conversations and now I'm friends with a couple of them. Also, u can join some organization that u might be interested in. Like for me, I'm an intern @ my college's radio station (although I'm SUPER shy and scared about being on the air), it's kind of fun being around people that share a common interest like me (even though I had to force myself to do this DJ thing, but it's really fun once I got to doing it).

Watch "How to lose friends and Alienate people" and just do the opposite. OR I suppose an easier route would be to talk to people, if they are smiling, like so:

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/09_04/smileDM2409_468x349.jpg

that means you're well on your way to making friends. However, you should always be aware of the foreboding frown:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:J4fHDggB-n4T9M:http://nichite.com/images/frown.JPG&t=1

this means that you're on the wrong topic and most likely will not become friends with this person if the frown persists. The longer the frown persists the more likely it will turn into Anger:

http://www.affiliatemanagementmaven.com/wp-content/uploads/angry_face.jpg

This is a sign that your well-being is in danger and that you should just back off from the person showing anger. I hope this lesson has been beneficial and now you should be well on your way to making real friends.
    http://loopgum.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/wink-wink-nod-nod-771678.jpg

A lot of times there are specific freshman-oriented activities the week before school starts, specifically so that you can meet people. Go to these, as the activities themselves are kinda dumb, but at least you are put in a room with a bunch of people who came to a place to meet other freshmen. This is very helpful if you're normally a shy person. If you live in dorms you will be forced into contact with a bunch of people. I suggest talking to them because they're convenient to hang out with, and if you have a direct roommate especially, it's best you try to get along with them. I've known some pretty shy guys who came out of college rooming with their freshman roommate all four years because it turned out they had a lot in common, they were like brothers at the end.

You'll also need/want to make friends before and after any core classes you have related to your major. Having a reliable study group is very helpful to have as a support net when classes get tough, and just for chugging through homework or helping study for a test (in a big enough group there's always one extremely good note taker, and one guy who just "gets" the class and can teach it to everyone else.

This is good advice, thank you. And Jewbacca...thanks for the visual, you clearly were immensly bored when you wrote this, lol. I have Freshman orientation in a few weeks, would it be wise to not car pool there with my friend, so that I am forced to meet some people?