Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ubran exploration and its wonders

Default Ubran exploration and its wonders

Ubran Exploration is trespassing into abandoned places. Malls, Tunnels, shopping centers, hospitals, schools, etc. This is exactly like going to historical buildings like say alactraz but with them having no guides, no admission prices and pretty much no upkeep. These places are being left to their own devices and it's fascinating to me what happens to them and what gets left behind.

Anyways.. here's some interesting photos.

http://www.opacity.us/images/db/64/210/0000007473.jpg

http://www.opacity.us/images/db/64/210/0000007474.jpg

here is some reading material for those interested about the hospital itself.

Norwich State Hospital - Abandoned Photography at Opacity

It's just sort of amazing how our own dreams and fantasizes could quickly become nightmares such as this place. Though granted I assume none of us wanted to be in a crib and diapers at a insane asylum.. but still, it happened to some. There are also other gallery's to look at on the website, I am pretty sure nearly every state in America once had a place like this. I recall seeing a similar place on this site near the Sacramento area.

Edit: more photos (Note: not all pictures are from the same hospital)

http://www.opacity.us/images/db/62/200/0000007106.jpg
    Last edited by Fire2box; 15-Aug-2010 at 02:16.

Cool Fire2box. We had this discussion on another thread some time ago. Nice research on finding that site and sharing the information. I remember saying that as a kid, I ran around with a bunch of friends and we would break into abandoned buildings, mostly old houses. The one that was memorable was the house we gained entrance through a window. It was a sad house, long ago abandoned by anyone living. When we left through the door we saw a sign posted, "Warning, Quarantine for Diphtheria". We fled in terror.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Cool Fire2box. We had this discussion on another thread some time ago. Nice research on finding that site and sharing the information. I remember saying that as a kid, I ran around with a bunch of friends and we would break into abandoned buildings, mostly old houses. The one that was memorable was the house we gained entrance through a window. It was a sad house, long ago abandoned by anyone living. When we left through the door we saw a sign posted, "Warning, Quarantine for Diphtheria". We fled in terror.
    I think I posted this site here before.. but it was of a different hospital, possibly one here in California. But like I said that site has tons of research and photos of a lot of different hospitals from before and after they were shutdown.

wow those are some awesome pictures. Thanks for posting the link to the page.

Doesn't it make you wonder if it's haunted. I remember talking with Kite about the Waverly Sanitarium. Ghost Hunters from Scfi went there and got some amazing film footage including a child's ball that rolls from a stopped position. Imagine all the poor souls who died there and either didn't move on, or come back to visit.

I've never been Urban Exploring myself, but I always enjoy seeing photos from people who do. I am too cautious to actually attempt urbexing, so the photos will have to do. The decay of many of these places is beautiful! Other places are frozen in time with little human interference, and are a window into the past. One of the places I enjoy seeing the most is the Dixie Square Mall in Harvey, Illinois where they filmed the Blues Brothers mall chase scene. The place has been closed for 30 years, and it is a miracle that it is still standing! It was only open for 12 years (1966-1978), BB was filmed in 79, then it was ravaged by scrappers in the 80's. It now sits as a mostly open-air structure with little trace of its former life thanks to the scavengers and failed/abandoned development projects on the property.

I wish I had more time and places to explore, but I have been through an abandoned radar dome in Saskatchewan, that used to be part of an early warning system for Soviet attack. Very cool place, apart from all the bird crap.

I've always been interested in that sort of thing, though I didn't know there was actually a term for it and whatnot. That's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Higher Than Hope View Post
    I've always been interested in that sort of thing, though I didn't know there was actually a term for it and whatnot. That's cool.
    If you got Netflix, you might like this.

Netflix: Rent as many movies as you want for only $8.99 a month! Free Trial

It's a movie called "Urban Explorers: Into the Darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by Fire2box View Post

Unfortunately no netflix

So can somebody point me in the direction of one of these abandoned psyche wards that have a hidden diaper room? I wouldn't mind saving some money lol...