Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick question

Researcher

Default quick question

Does anyone know where I may get unscented baby powder? I have some scented but I would like to be able to where My diaper out without the scent.

Baby powder is basically Talc with scent added. You'll need to search for "talc", sometimes called 'talcum powder' to avoid scent.

You can also just try corn starch, that has no scent. You can get a big box of that in the baking aisle of the store for a lot less than a small bottle of baby powder. (tho I'd bet most of us like the scent of baby powder) Corn starch is almost identical to talc. Also less stress buying it.

Edit: I was at wal-mart a few weeks ago and there was a gal there holding a younger one and a toddler by her side, she was buying three VERY large bottles of baby powder, I've never seen such huge containers of it. They looked like those giant bottles the bodybuilder pills come in.

You beat me to it. I was going to recommend plain old corn starch.

Researcher

I've never heard of using cornstarch but I'll try it. thanks bambinod!

Quote Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
    I've never heard of using cornstarch but I'll try it. thanks bambinod!
    Cornstarch is almost exactly the same as baby powder.

Johnsons actually makes corn starch baby powder as well, smells exactly the same as the regular stuff, and feels exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    Cornstarch is almost exactly the same as baby powder.

Johnsons actually makes corn starch baby powder as well, smells exactly the same as the regular stuff, and feels exactly the same.
    I think they offer that because it's safer. Talc is fine outside but is toxic if it gets inside. (through a cut for example) Corn starch is pretty harmless but is slightly less slippery.

Researcher

almost seems that people should be using corn starch if talc can be toxic. any down sides that anyone knows of?

lack of scent I'd say. Container's easier to use too, imagine trying to get a lil out and fumbling the box. *foooof* Though I don't exactly like the idea of my bedroom smelling like baby powder. But I has cats, so the going excuse is "one of the cats found the babypowder in the bathroom and batted it around in my bedroom".

I've never tried to open one of the J&J babypowder containers to see if cornstarch could refill it... will have to give that a shot.

Researcher

short funny story: I set my bottle of powder up on a shelf in my apartment and it fell off. well the lid popped off (I had taken it off before) and it spilt everywhere. when I used the vaccum to clean it up, it did alright but now every time I vacuum my apartment smells like baby powder. I let my friend borrow the vac one day and he simply said "I don't want to know what kind of kinky shit your in to.

Quote Originally Posted by Researcher View Post
    but now every time I vacuum my apartment smells like baby powder
    Sorry, but ROTFL!

did you change the bag? and run it for awhile without a bag to blow the powder out of the outer bag liner?

or maybe the scent is in the carpet and the beaterbar on the vaccuum is just kicking the scent up again? (may need to clean the carpet there?)