Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'China Brands'

Default 'China Brands'

How does everyone here feel about buying 'China brand' electronics?
    Like a camcorder from a chinese global manufacturer before the name brands are applied.
    What china brands have you bought?

angelabauer

Quote Originally Posted by Corri View Post
    How does everyone here feel about buying 'China brand' electronics?
    Like a camcorder from a chinese global manufacturer before the name brands are applied.
    What china brands have you bought?
    Tell ya what, Corri. Go to more than one large store selling consumer electronics, computers, monitors, receivers, DVD players, etc. Take a look and get back to us with any brand names and models not made in China! Here in the USA virtually all the TV sets/monitors sold are made in China under such American brand names as RCA and Magnavox. As far as I can tell those made in China work as well as when they were made here in the USA, but of course that was way back in the CRT era.

All the digital combo HDD & DVD recorders my husband and I use are products of Funai Electric Co Ltd, of China. They manufacture Magnavox and Phillips consumer products. Funai has service centers here in the USA.

I just bought a camcorder for $50 off ebay. The same camera from Samsung would cost $280
    I can see where you are coming from there

Quote Originally Posted by Corri View Post
    I just bought a camcorder for $50 off ebay. The same camera from Samsung would cost $280
    I can see where you are coming from there
    Man, I don't even see the point of this. eBay trades quality (i.e. used goods) and expedience (i.e. picking it up immediately) for cost. Your original post was very open-ended and didn't offer an original opinion to respond to, so the "sarcasm" (if you can call it that) is uncalled-for. Also, Funai is Japanese and Samsung is Korean.

Quote Originally Posted by DLGrif View Post
    Man, I don't even see the point of this. eBay trades quality (i.e. used goods) and expedience (i.e. picking it up immediately) for cost. Your original post was very open-ended and didn't offer an original opinion to respond to, so the "sarcasm" (if you can call it that) is uncalled-for. Also, Funai is Japanese and Samsung is Korean.

Aside from sighting the brand origin, what does criticizing my posting manor, of stating a fact have to do with anything else in this thread? What honestly did this post contribute besides yous tating the fact you dont like my posting style :/

It can be an exercise in frustration. Things like that camcorder are often not exactly the same, or failed part of QA etc. I have found that, in many cases, you end up spending more in the long run replacing broken ones or end up getting frustrated with bad software, lack of support etc.

Now some companies literally roll identical, unbranded items off their line, but they tend to already be budget electronics to begin with which is why they easily get away with it.

What I do often do is buy components. Things like bike frames get painted in the USA or Italy etc, but the frame is made in China, and if you know what you are doing you can get an unpainted frame for 80% less than the painted one from a bike company. Same with some furniture, and clothing. Sites like modcloth sell a lot of chinese or branded import clothing at a huge price increase. If you can find the "original manufacturer" they will sell from anywhere between 20% and 70% less. Modcloth purposefully makes this hard by often not listing the designer and using their own made up names. It might not be as annoying if it wasn't for the fact that the 30 dollar dress they sell for 70 dollars is, quality wise, very much a 30 dollar dress.

Products designed in chine: awesome and cheap. IDKY, but I've seen mini camcorders run on ebay for less than $50 for a godone while here in the states one with a name runs for far more.

WHOA EDIT: Didn't see Corri's post. :p
    Last edited by CrypticTaco; 11-Aug-2010 at 04:00.

I bought a Trek bike last summer and discovered it was made in China. I went on line and did some research. I found that all aluminum frames are made in the same factory in China. All the carbon frames of bike manufacturers are made in Taiwan except for the very high end ones which are made in house. The components come from a variety of places. The bikes are often assembled in this country, though not all of them. It's just a fact of life. The big impact is that we are losing our manufacturing jobs to foreign places where labor is cheap.

pamperchu

I just got a new battery from china for my laptop and it works great.

If it's not made in in China, the majority of the components probably are...

China's awesome. I'm going there for two weeks this spring with my Chinese 5 class.
    I'm going to buy so much fake shit! Yessssss!!!!