Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College

Default College

So, im getting ready to apply to colleges...Anyone in the same position?

mannykins

yeah me too i just dont know if i should start in december or september.

Start in soet. not dec. I was in the same position last year at this time. do it ASAP!

Gladly done with that part of my life forever. The last two years of it were the most miserable in my entire life...

Do yourself a favor. Go to a state college, not a university. A state college has reasonable expectations of their students, don't cram 5-6 years worth of work into 4 years (while simultaneously making it harder and more time-consuming), and give you time to actually have a social life while maintaining good grades.

Don't get me wrong, many people do just fine in a university setting. On rare occasion they can even have a social life. I wasn't one of those.

I manage to attend a University with a social life, and work. I would say start in September, the earlier you get started the better it will be.

This is soo stressful for me. Well I have pretty good grades, EC's, etc etc
    I just dont havet he ACT/SAT scores to get into the schools I want to get into.

Huxley

Apply and start as soon as possible. Unless you are receiving a full scholarship somewhere else, choose an in-state college or university to keep your tuition costs low. Get your FAFSA forms in order if you haven't already. Look for other scholarships and work-study programs to provide additional stipends. At least in the State of Florida, if you graduate from high school with a 3.5 GPA or higher, you get 100% paid tuition to any in-state institution.

Unlike Draugr, I highly recommend the university experience. It has been one of the most fun and memorable experiences of my life. Studying your ass off and periods of massive sleep deprivation are just part of it. When you are surrounded by friends, it's not as bad as it sounds (study groups FTW). If you go in planning to spend all your time either partying, or all your time in academic activities, you won't have a good time. The key is to finding the right balance.
    Last edited by Huxley; 08-Aug-2010 at 19:15. Reason: Link Fix

No, I am not applying to colleges, but some advice to those who are. Start the applications now. Apply to several schools (6-8). Try to finish before December, so that when you are late with an application, it is still before the deadline. If you really want in a school, use the essay to demonstrate your interest, not just because one is required. And remember, in a year, this will all be over.

Also, you can transfer to a different college if you find you really want to go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Draugr View Post
    Gladly done with that part of my life forever. The last two years of it were the most miserable in my entire life...

Do yourself a favor. Go to a state college, not a university. A state college has reasonable expectations of their students, don't cram 5-6 years worth of work into 4 years (while simultaneously making it harder and more time-consuming), and give you time to actually have a social life while maintaining good grades.

Don't get me wrong, many people do just fine in a university setting. On rare occasion they can even have a social life. I wasn't one of those.
    That all depends on what you want to do, and how much you want it. I went to one of those types of Universities, worked my ass off every day of the week, and sacrificed my social, or really any other kind of life besides one absorbed in my studies for four years. However, standing where I am now, the payoff is worth the pain. With the training I got doing that, I was able to work at my dream job straight out of Uni.

I always say this when people ask about college. Please consider what you want your end goal to be when you get out of University. Have a good impression of the the job you want, and the possible companies you'd like to work for (even if it's a little unrealistic). It's the most important that you know what you want to do after university, because that makes all your decisions about university easy, it's all about knowing what you need to know, and impressing who you need to impress to get the job you want in the end.

If you're behind on your entrance requirements at the Uni you'd like to go to, I know that most admissions departments take calls (especially if you call them BEFORE admission season :P ) and you could ask questions to see what your chances are for getting into your favorite university, or if there was anything you could do right now to improve those chances. If you've got the means, taking a tour of the campus is helpful because you can talk to the admissions department in person, it shows you care about going there, and you can make sure the campus will be a good fit for you.

If you're on the cusp and admissions actually looks at your application (I hear many large Unis rarely look at applications that don't meet the standard, simply because they have so many to look at) the best place to try and weasel your way in is via the personal statement most applications make you write. Don't try to explain why your scores aren't as good as they could have been, just stress how important it would be if you got into the university because you believe it is the best option for you to get a head start on your career, which you are very serious about pursuing.

Another option if you can't get into the school you want is community college. The classes are cheaper than any standard Uni, you can get general education requirements out of the way so you can concentrate on your major when you actually get to Uni, and someone with 1-2 years of community college has a better chance of getting into Uni than a High School grad. It would be a good practice if you contacted the admissions department of the Uni you want to go to, and make sure your credits will transfer. If you really know a place or places you want to be at, and you didn't make it this year I think this is an excellent option rather than settling for less. You could also go to a Uni you DID get accepted to, then transfer to the one you wanted to go to after like 2 years. Just make sure the curriculum syncs up, and try to see how much of the actual credits you can transfer, so you're not repeating work.

TL : DR
    University is really only a means to a destination, make sure you really know what you want to be doing when you get *out* of Uni and choose the best course of action based on the fact that you'd like to start with as much of an advantage in your field as possible. If you don't get into your Uni of choice there's still plenty of things you can do to end up going there, so do your best this round but don't stress too much if you don't get in, work on increasing your chances next year for a transfer or something.