Thread: Raccoon tail movement?

Default Raccoon tail movement?

How exactly do raccoons move their tails? Do they wag them when they're happy like a dog? Is it more like cat tail movement? Or is it completely different? I need to know this for RPs and just general curiosity.

While I'm at it, what about red pandas? I assume it would be the same for them. Even though they have their own family classification, they are very similar to raccoons.

Just watched a few videos on youtube and it looks like they do not really move the tail much however in RP anything is possible

YouTube - ‪Racoons Playing‬‎ This is the video with the most tail movement so you can get an idea of it.

Wow... they really don't move their tails much. I didn't expect that. Thanks.

to me it appears that thay do have freedom of the tail movements though not naturally known "sighns" but i saw the occasional "tail between the legs" and then i saw them using it as a weapon like a blunt smack (are they even strong enough to do that?) but yeah when RP'ing you have complete freedom to do what you lil heart desires with the tail ^~^

The most you might see a Coon move its tail is to keep balance. They dont really wag or anything

Sort of off topic but.... I never knew you could keep a racoon as a pet (from the video). Interesting pet

Quote Originally Posted by jjwow2 View Post
    Sort of off topic but.... I never knew you could keep a racoon as a pet (from the video). Interesting pet
    Tonnes of people have pigs, raccoons, foxes, and even skunks. It's not uncommon to see an unusual pet ^_^

nope they dont seem to move their tail often... I see them around here all the time. we shoot 'em. :/ they eat crops

Quote Originally Posted by Zythren View Post
    Tonnes of people have pigs, raccoons, foxes, and even skunks. It's not uncommon to see an unusual pet ^_^
    Yup. My neighbors once had some kind of light-colored or albino skunk.

I would say in an RP/furry world as opposed to typical nature, I'd say their tail emoticons ( hehe) are almost like half-cat/half-dog.