Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Can you go incontinent by holding?

  1. #1

    Default Can you go incontinent by holding?

    If I hold my pee for a long time and it hurts, will I go incontinent? And could it ever be fixed?

  2. #2

    Default

    I doubt it. Only thing you may wind up doing is harming your kidneys. Not something I would recommend. Maybe try working on relaxing the muscle that controls your bladder & "letting go" when ever you feel the slightest urge perhaps?

    Here are some articles I found on the subject
    In other words, while bladder function is an automatic process, it is our brains that choose when to visit the bathroom. How long a person can ignore the need to pee depends of the size of a person's bladder and their will. Consciously holding in your urine will eventually cause the body to override the brain's attempts to delay urination, and in all likelihood, the person will simply wet their pants. Research has not shown that holding your pee will cause rupture of the bladder or bladder infections — just incontinence.

    theoretically your bladder would stretch to be able to hold more, but at the same time you run the risk of urinary tract infections, kidney infections and cancer of the bladder.

    Well I've never heard of a bladder bursting. Chances are you'd wet your pants first. The bladder has the ability to stretch because it is a muscular organ, much like the stomach and uterus. It can become distended when very full and spasm...it's way of telling us it needs to be emptied. It is possible (because of a blockage, like a stone) that urine can flow backward...or retrograde...up the ureters to the kidneys. This can cause the ureters to become enlarged and potentially destroy them. That's a major problem. The kidneys need their ureters because they have no way to eliminate urine they produce without them. You're talking possibility of a drainage device similar to that of a colostomy, or removal of the affected kidney. In any event, that scenario isn't likely to happen just by holding your urine. What can happen, though, is that bacteria can make it's way to the kidneys and cause an infection. They can be nasty infections and quite painful. They're not anything you want to play around with either. Serious stuff if not treated!

    In any case it looks like not such a good idea if you are just looking to have an excuse to get diapers :/

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaofscar View Post
    If I hold my pee for a long time and it hurts, will I go incontinent? And could it ever be fixed?
    I did a little research on bladder capacities and "holding it". It's hard to find a good agreement, but I can generalize an average of what I found. Absolute bladder capacity is somewhere between 650 and 1000 mL for an adult, depending on the person. "first warning" is usually between 150 and 250 mL. (around or less than 1/3 capacity, I was not expecting that)

    There's a lot of disagreement as to whether or not your urethra's two valves will "safety" before dangerous pressure accumulates. Some say you can't burst your bladder or damage your kidneys because the body won't allow it and you will lose control at some point. Others say you can risk backup of urine into the kidneys. (that have a one-way valve on them) There's general agreement that physical assault such as being in a car accident with a very full bladder CAN cause a rupture, but that's about the only example of that I found. So no, you can't burst your bladder.

    I tested myself a few times awhile ago to see what my capacity was, and if I could reach that "body safety" some described. (which was not guaranteed to be a safe test) I found that it gets really painful when you get to your limit, and that if I tried to move around (walk, stairs, etc) I would leak a small amount. But the "gate never opened" as I was expecting. It just kept taking a little off the top periodically, and all the while it was highly uncomfortable, so it's not something I'd recommend to anyone. I may not be the typical person there though, as I have been dealing with a very shy bladder that if anything, has too much control. (not MY control)

    You don't want to make yourself IC. There are numerous threads here on the subject, and they're usually full of people that are medically IC and they all say the same thing - don't do it, it's not worth it, you'll lose some of your quality of life. One recent poster said they were able to become IC by simply using a diaper 100% of the time for a year, and they also seriously regretted it and have been spending a long time since then (10yrs?) trying to reverse it. That person's problem was simply that their body had become so accustomed to going in a diaper that the natural unconscious restraint was removed and he would go without even realizing it. It wasn't a matter of "omigod I gotta pee I can't stop, can't stop... ahhh", it was more a matter of "oh wow, I just wet." In other words, not loss of control, loss of awareness. And THAT is a hard one to undo.

  4. #4
    Miku

    Default

    Idk, but after a few hours of holding, my bladder will start to hurt so much that I have to go to the bathroom. Eventually, I would like to experience holding it in long enough to have an accident at least just once. But even if I go all day without an accident it wouldn't matter, I have a weak bladder at night.. The only way I can keep myself dry at night is if I don't drink anything within an hour before bed and go to the bathroom before bed. If those 2 rules are disobeyed, I'll wet the bed for sure :/ I guess that's a form of incontinence.. But I don't know. I do know that it wasn't from holding in my urine. I've always had a bedwetting problem :P I've been holding in my pee for hours since I was like 11 years old and I'm 15 now. No damage and no incon. but i don't think a few hours of holding would damage your kidneys. If at all, then not by much. So as far as my experience goes, no it won't.

  5. #5
    Butterfly Mage

    Default

    Of course, purposefully holding back for a non-dangerous amount of time could have the effect of actually strengthening the muscles associated with proper bladder control. So, rather than becoming incontinent, one might become less susceptible to incontinence.

    It is always preferable to wear out of choice than out of need (it's less expensive too!)

  6. #6
    Huxley

    Default

    Although I have absolutely no desire to become incontinent, I tried the whole hold it until you have an accident thing last week. Instead of peeing after I woke up in the morning, I taped up in an Abri-form and just held it. It took until 2PM in the afternoon with normal drinking only when thirsty until I hit the critical point.

    As bambinod explained, you don't just release, you have spasms first. The first one came when I stood up from my desk chair. I had a sudden strong urge and some came out. I then walked into the kitchen and had two more spasms before it was too painful to try and stop them, and I ended up flooding the diaper. When you are having the spasms, the urine dosen't leak out slowly, it comes out quite forcefully, so make sure you have some good padding on to try this.

  7. #7
    Miku

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by DreamingSora View Post
    Although I have absolutely no desire to become incontinent, I tried the whole hold it until you have an accident thing last week. Instead of peeing after I woke up in the morning, I taped up in an Abri-form and just held it. It took until 2PM in the afternoon with normal drinking only when thirsty until I hit the critical point.

    As bambinod explained, you don't just release, you have spasms first. The first one came when I stood up from my desk chair. I had a sudden strong urge and some came out. I then walked into the kitchen and had two more spasms before it was too painful to try and stop them, and I ended up flooding the diaper. When you are having the spasms, the urine dosen't leak out slowly, it comes out quite forcefully, so make sure you have some good padding on to try this.
    How strong is your bladder? And how many hours did it take till you started having spasms? And after your first spasm, how long was it until you had a full accident? And did it hurt..? =o

  8. #8

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by DreamingSora View Post
    I then walked into the kitchen and had two more spasms before it was too painful to try and stop them, and I ended up flooding the diaper. When you are having the spasms, the urine dosen't leak out slowly, it comes out quite forcefully, so make sure you have some good padding on to try this.
    The spasms you describe are exactly what happens to people like me that have urge incontinence or overactive bladder. However, these spasms occur at much lower volumes of urine, so that you usually cannot feel any pain or pressure. What you get are sudden bladder spasms that force urine out. Totally, unexpected. In essence, the nerves to the bladder are malfunctioning, causing the bladder to contract without warning.

    As you found out, a healthy bladder will automatically contract when pressures build to painful levels. The reason you let out only a little at a time is your sphincter muscles are healthy and keeping you from letting it all go at once.

    I do not believe you can cause permanent incontinence by holding it over a long period of time. If anything, you may be doing damage to other organs, such as the kidneys. Or, creating environments for kidney stones and infections.

  9. #9
    Miku

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    The spasms you describe are exactly what happens to people like me that have urge incontinence or overactive bladder. However, these spasms occur at much lower volumes of urine, so that you usually cannot feel any pain or pressure. What you get are sudden bladder spasms that force urine out. Totally, unexpected. In essence, the nerves to the bladder are malfunctioning, causing the bladder to contract without warning.

    As you found out, a healthy bladder will automatically contract when pressures build to painful levels. The reason you let out only a little at a time is your sphincter muscles are healthy and keeping you from letting it all go at once.

    I do not believe you can cause permanent incontinence by holding it over a long period of time. If anything, you may be doing damage to other organs, such as the kidneys. Or, creating environments for kidney stones and infections.
    What if you only hold it till you have an accident once? Will that cause any damage?

  10. #10
    Huxley

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by RawrKittyx3 View Post
    How strong is your bladder? And how many hours did it take till you started having spasms? And after your first spasm, how long was it until you had a full accident? And did it hurt..? =o
    I have no idea how to quantify how strong my bladder is. I haven't had a true wetting accident in recent history (as far back as maybe 9 years old or so).

    I woke up with a nearly full bladder after 7 hours of sleep, and did some work on my computer. So sleep time plus the time before I wet, nearly 14 hours before the spasms. I ate and drank as normal throughout this time, and I drink a pretty good amount throughout the day. After the first spasm, I had a full accident within 3 minutes. It isn't a "I stuck a knife in my foot" kind of pain, just an "OMG i've gotta pee soooo bad" pain. Once you spasm, it's a loosing battle, and holding them back does hurt.

    I did it because I just wanted to know what it felt like to have a full on accident. I do have to say, the relief when you do finally wet feels amazing. It's not something I would do frequently, but I do doubt you would damage anything. The whole point of the spasms is to prevent damage once you hit the critical point.

Similar Threads

  1. You're holding it wrong
    By Chimera in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-Jul-2010, 04:29
  2. Unconscious Holding
    By learning2wear in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-Feb-2010, 19:13
  3. Holding it vs. little at a time
    By android in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-Sep-2009, 16:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.