Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advertisements in TV

Default Advertisements in TV

How disruptive do you find advertisements in TV?

In days of illegal downloading, recordable TV (with adverts easily skipped), HBO, and more advertising happening online, do you think we could soon see the end of television adverts?

Just a couple of questions that crossed my mind! At home we record TV so we never watch adverts, we just fast-forward through them. And now I watch most of my TV online, so I have no/little adverts there. Plus I buy/rent HBO DVDs, so once again no adverts! I can't be atypical, surely?

Arguably some television can't have advert breaks, HBO shows being an example. It's hard to imagine The Wire being interrupted with ad breaks every 15 minutes! Although, today I found out that Sky One (The British Murdoch channel) is going to start airing HBO shows (with ad breaks), so maybe I'll find out.

So yeah, I was just wondering what your opinions on ad breaks on TV are and what the future of them will be.

(P.S. Talula wrote this post for me while I dictated, lots of thanks and praise to her! )

Dictated, but not read? I would have slipped in something un-mod-worthy.

I actually find ads to be detrimental to watching the program. When a commercial comes on I change the channel. Sometimes I forget that I was in the middle of a different show. I go back and I missed ten minutes right in the middle. Now the entire episode is ruined for me. I might as well find it online and re-watch it. So commercials actually deter me from watching TV, incidentally making me see less commercials.

I don't have television service anymore, so what I do now is go to a website (I don't want to make it seem as if I'm advertising, no link) and watch TV from there that people have pre recorded or are capturing live, the thing that does suck is the occasional commercial, but sometimes, it's pre recorded so the broadcaster will skip or delete the ads.

I'm sitting on the fence on this one.

On one hand, ads during shows is the worst part about watching the shows for the simple fact that every time the show gets to the good part, BAM commercial break then I have to wait for the ads to end before I see what happens next in the show. I have done a little testing on this and I've found that there's roughly 5 (five) minutes of commercials for every 10 (ten) minutes of show. Hence the annoyance.

However, commercials do serve a purpose as they are a means of a person/group/company showing the public 'their' product.

As for the future of ad breaks...erm...I see longer ad breaks during the show. Just my own personal opinion on that.

Butterfly Mage

I haven't seen a commercial in about ten years since I don't watch TV. If there's something interesting I'd like to see, I'll rent it on DVD, which avoids the commercials.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post

I actually find ads to be detrimental to watching the program. When a commercial comes on I change the channel. Sometimes I forget that I was in the middle of a different show. I go back and I missed ten minutes right in the middle. Now the entire episode is ruined for me. I might as well find it online and re-watch it. So commercials actually deter me from watching TV, incidentally making me see less commercials.
    I do exactly the same thing. I rarely watch TV, but when I do it's because I'm bored and feeling particularly lazy. So I'll start flicking through channels until I come across something I want to watch. Then when there's an ad break I'll start flicking again until I find something else. If I can't I'll usually stick with the original program.

And I think we all know what's going on here, she has him tied to the bed.

We recently bought a Freesat PVR box after years of watching only TV shows downloaded from BitTorrent* (with the ads cropped out) or BBC iPlayer (which, being publicly funded, doesn't have ads) so we had to endure adverts again for the first time in ages (since I went to uni five years ago, really). Boy was that a shock

Unfortunately our PVR doesn't seem to let you fast-forward while watching a recorded show, so we're actually forced to watch the damned things :/ So I'm mostly sticking to downloaded stuff still.

I still maintain that, if I was given a way of paying to legally get these shows without the ads (and at a reasonable price - not iTunes' "2/episode and you don't even get the DVD special features at the end of it" bullshit) I would do so. And without DRM. That can sod right off, especially since our Popcorn Hour box (which plays all of our downloaded stuff) can't handle any of it.

* I would like to point out that I buy DVD/BluRay box sets of TV series that I particularly enjoy, which at least partially makes up for the illegal downloading. I then rip them to H.264/AC3/MKV files on our file server, but the fact that that's illegal is fucking retarded, so I hold absolutely zero guilt over doing that.

There was a time, not so very long ago, that ads seemed to be the best that was still on tv... So stopped paying cable, no need for satellite (more nothingness) and currently watch only what I want...
    Apparently I am not the only one, ad companies are now in trouble and finding new places... In games and on dvds are already on the table :/

Quote Originally Posted by Zephiel View Post
    I tried, but he saw and made me delete it

Quote Originally Posted by Arlikra View Post
    And I think we all know what's going on here, she has him tied to the bed.
    No no! We were snuggling and I wanted to help!!!

Also, I have no opinion on TV ads, mainly because I didn't listen to you explaining what HBO was so I missed the point of the thread, and also because I never ever watch TV.

I don't really care about them unless they are really annoying like the Go Compare man (the most evil person on the face of the earth). Even if they do end on TV they'll still be around so I can't see it as a massive problem.