Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I transgendered?

Default Am I transgendered?

I'm male, and mostly act male, but I often wish I could be female, and most of my virtual avatars are female.
    I don't know if this is just a phase I'm going through... (The feelings started a couple years back and have grown stronger over that time)
    Any advice would be helpful.

You could be I suppose as one defenition for transgender is: (not sure if this fits you)
    "relating to, or designating a person whose identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender roles, but combines or moves between these"
    But I would not bother worrying about it as it is only a label and you are who you are and nothing other

Yes, but I think I'm partly OCD, and I like things to be categorised neatly....

I'm just being silly now, aren't I?

No you are not being silly at all I am the same
    I have to admit I do not know much about transgender because I have never really thought about it but if you want to research more and see if you fit in to being transgender then you can try wiki here
    Transgender - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

P.S I am really sorry to anyone who gets offended by bad grammar or spelling I do have reasons for it and I would like to make it clear it is not because I am lazy (sorry for going off topic just dont like people to think I do not care about it)

Hm. Well a lot of the time that's something that needs to be figured out for one's self, so I'm hesitant to tell you "Yes! You're TG!" I think that, in the most basic sense, by what you've described, you are at least a little bit gender-queer. That's not a bad thing.

There are psychiatrists/psychologists trained in helping you feel this situation out for yourself. That group does not include ALL such doctors, but I'd be welling to bet there's one in close proximity to you.

Just don't panic, take the time and feel the situation out for yourself. Whether or not you come to the conclusion that you are TG, you're you and the realization of what that makes up is really the important thing in all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfxt View Post
    You could be I suppose as one defenition for transgender is: (not sure if this fits you)
    "relating to, or designating a person whose identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender roles, but combines or moves between these"
    But I would not bother worrying about it as it is only a label and you are who you are and nothing other
    I learned something new, then. Guess I know more transgender people than I thought. This is going to sound sillier than the original question, but would this definition apply to a male who identifies as male yet likes to wear women's clothing and use products like women's deodorant? Say this person would like switching bodies with women on whim, as well, provided that he could switch back.

Quote Originally Posted by flipfxt View Post
    I think that's more genderqueer than transgender. <o<

More on topic, I'm kind of the same way. I'm pretty much fine with being a guy; I just want the chance to be cute and girly sometimes.

I suppose it's possible that you have repressed any transgendered feelings you may have had, and these feelings are just now starting to surface, but I doubt it. Most transgendered people are aware of their condition from a very early age. If you need a label or a box to fit into, I would say you are " gender-queer ". I have known that I am transgendered all of my life, or at least from the time children first begin to learn that there are both male and female people in the world. Even though, as a child, I did not know there was a word for it, I always knew I was transgendered. I have always felt that I should have been a female, I have always known that inside this male body, there was the mind and emotions of a female. Inside I am really a girl.

Even though I'm a transsexual I wouldn't be any better at telling if you are better than anyone else. My advice is to get in contact with a trans-knowledgeable therapist and talk it through them, be honest with them and yourself. One thing I will warn you, if you are transgendered the feelings never go away and they get worse, many of us tried to bare it until we snapped (myself included). So if you are your not alone and you have a long road ahead of you. Here's a resource that was a huge help to me over the years. Transsexual Road Map

I see gender as a mental identification as much as it is of course a biological identification. But the problem is it comes down to how your brain works, that's still biological too isn't it?--(even though we still consider that mental as well) So it really boils down to how you feel about it and how you wish to be identified.